Coaches to watch in 2023-24; Hotseat edition | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Coaches to watch in 2023-24; Hotseat edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With the latest news coming out of Arizona about Kailyn Gilbert being removed from the team, it added to my random (and scary) thoughts about program turnover, how the program proceeds and what should an AD do.
As I mentioned in the Coaches on the HOT SEAT thread, one of the telltale signs any AD should be monitoring is how many good players are leaving his athletic programs and going on to contribute to direct competitors or other relevant programs.

Immediately, coming to mind is Brenda Frese who has always seemed to have a cavalcade of players who left her program and go on to great success else where. While I would be concerned as her AD, the fact is she has usually done well in the years following those departures and had great success so she seems to manage this situation well. How sustainable is it is up for debate as this years team is kind of brutal to watch.

Next up is Kelly Graves who had great success with his 2016 HS class led by Sabrina Ionescu. However, after that stellar class and the addition of the Satou sisters, Eugene has been a revolving door of players and his results have spiraled down. With the transfer portal, a remarkable turnaround is always possible but my perspective on his latest portal activity, his current team, his pending HS recruits and his joining a new league has me suspect of his future success and why I thought his “retirement” is best for him and the school. Kelly is not Dawn, Tara or Geno as an untouchable coach who can do “no wrong”. Eventually, 2-16 records catch up with you.

The latest addition to the “fire concern” brigade is Adia Barnes, since her Cinderella run a few years ago which garnered her a huge contract raise, her team has become a revolving door of drama. Look at this list of players who have left in the last 2 years
  • Lauren Ware 2020 #26 to Texas A&M
  • Paris Clark 2022 #21
  • Lemyah Hylton 2022 #85 to Miami
  • Kailyn Gilbert 2022 #31 TBA
  • Aaronette Vonleh 2021 #100 to Colorado
  • Madison Connor 2021 #71 to TCU
That’s 6 players in just 2 years. Also leaving is Maya Nnaji 2022 #9 prospect who left due to wanting to focus on her pre-med degree. Add in the fact Shaina Pellington left for her 5th year to OSU and that’s 8 players who chose elsewhere to go. She may make the NCAAT this year but she is soon to be 8-10 in conference and 16-14 overall and is that really what the AD is paying her to achieve-slightly above .500 and just making the NCAAT? She is one of the top 15 paid coaches and now down to 8 players on the roster this year.

Having one, two or three players leave is a concern which could be understandable but given the numbers and star quality that Frese, Graves and Barnes are turning over has me thinking there is a personality concern and a big one.
Need to correct you on Pellington. She returned for her fifth year at Arizona. Not sure which OSU you're referring to, but she never played for Oklahoma State or Ohio State.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak
Top Bottom