Coaches Chat - Hurley and Coach K | The Boneyard

Coaches Chat - Hurley and Coach K

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Just spent a great 20 minutes listening to Mike Krzyzewski interview Dan Hurley on the College Sports channel on Sirius.

Awesome. K was extremely complimentary, almost awed by what DH has accomplished, told him what a great job he did reconstructing and preparing the team this year, and was very impressed with the game plan and execution against Purdue.

I don't know if it'll play again, or if there's an internet link. It's "Basketball &Beyond with Coach K." Worth a listen if you get a chance.

Reaction Score
Coach K feels like the Hurley family is part of his [Duke] family, to paraphrase the opening of the interview. Good interview, gracious host.

Reaction Score
“Yeah Dan, you and I go way back, and you know I’ve always given it to you straight, what I think would be in your best interest.

Now I know you said you‘re happy up there, and I understand you‘ve got to try for three in a row. I totally get it, but at some point Andrea is gonna get tired of the New England winters. You may not think so now, but I’m telling you. Been there done that at West Point. The research triangle is great - has everything except the snow.

So I‘m not saying this year or maybe even next, but just think about it. OK? Have I ever steered you wrong? All I’m saying is just think about it.”

Reaction Score
“Yeah Dan, you and I go way back, and you know I’ve always given it to you straight, what I think would be in your best interest.

Now I know you said you‘re happy up there, and I understand you‘ve got to try for three in a row. I totally get it, but at some point Andrea is gonna get tired of the New England winters. You may not think so now, but I’m telling you. Been there done that at West Point. The research triangle is great - has everything except the snow.

So I‘m not saying this year or maybe even next, but just think about it. OK? Have I ever steered you wrong? All I’m saying is just think about it.”

Reason 47 why i hate duke

Reaction Score
Just spent a great 20 minutes listening to Mike Krzyzewski interview Dan Hurley on the College Sports channel on Sirius.

Awesome. K was extremely complimentary, almost awed by what DH has accomplished, told him what a great job he did reconstructing and preparing the team this year, and was very impressed with the game plan and execution against Purdue.

I don't know if it'll play again, or if there's an internet link. It's "Basketball &Beyond with Coach K." Worth a listen if you get a chance.
If you have Sirius there is a replay. Thanks for the heads up

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Reason 47 why i hate duke
Only 47?
IMG_7886.gif

If he actually said that I may consider hiring a hitman.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Coach K feels like the Hurley family is part of his [Duke] family, to paraphrase the opening of the interview. Good interview, gracious host.
Would love to listen to it, but ain't paying for Sirius.

That said, brings to mind a Cowherd interview of K during last year's tourney when UConn was on the cusp of Hurley's 1st. K noted that his family was merged with the Hurleys and praised UConn's depth, noting that the bench all had starter's mentalities. But most notable was that even before UConn had won the 2023 trophy, K suggested they could repeat as "their backup center is really good".

Reaction Score

He wants him to consider NC State?

Reaction Score

I guess Coach K hasn't spent much time in CT lately....we barely have winter here anymore. I think Dan & Andrea can handle a month of winter Coach K....give your lame weather advice to someone that cares :cool:

Reaction Score

What does that say about his confidence in his handpicked successor, Jon Scheyer? Not exactly a ringing endorsement!

Reaction Score
I guess Coach K hasn't spent much time in CT lately....we barely have winter here anymore. I think Dan & Andrea can handle a month of winter Coach K....give your lame weather advice to someone that cares :cool:

OK. I totally made up the second paragraph in order to keep the Boneyard from exploding. What he really said was:

“Look Dan, you and I both know that this sport that we love has become a big business, and the rules of the game are changing every day. Now I‘m not a fan of a lot of whats happening, but it is what it is. Look, I tell you I loved the old Big East conference, but its just not the 90’s any more. That conference you’re in is unstainable. You’ve got to think of yourself and your family and get ahead of this thing. Make your move while you’re hot. I hate that that‘s what its become, but its business. You’ve got to do what is best for you.“

Third paragraph is accurate and needs no revision.

Reaction Score
What does that say about his confidence in his handpicked successor, Jon Scheyer? Not exactly a ringing endorsement!
They're not going to fire Scheyer, maybe ever. He's always going to recruit at a really high level and they'll be good enough most years to where it will be crazy to fire him. He's already been to an Elite Eight in his 2nd season.

Reaction Score
OK. I totally made up the second paragraph in order to keep the Boneyard from exploding. What he really said was:

“Look Dan, you and I both know that this sport that we love has become a big business, and the rules of the game are changing every day. Now I‘m not a fan of a lot of whats happening, but it is what it is. Look, I tell you I loved the old Big East conference, but its just not the 90’s any more. That conference you’re in is unstainable. You’ve got to think of yourself and your family and get ahead of this thing. Make your move while you’re hot. I hate that that‘s what its become, but its business. You’ve got to do what is best for you.“

Third paragraph is accurate and needs no revision.
This is BS - listened to the Sirius podcast twice and Coach K never said anything negative about the BE, winters or telling Dan to move on. Total disinformation.

Reaction Score

It was a good interview, and I didn’t hear any of the misinformation about DH’s future prospects on Tobacco Road. But, as K congratulated and complimented Danny, he said in a mildly humorous way “a lot of UConn fans would think I’m bs’ing because I’m the former Duke coach, and you know what, screw them, I’m not bs’ing, and you know that…” Danny responded that he knew that...

Reaction Score

Early candidate for next year's hanging

Reaction Score
This is BS - listened to the Sirius podcast twice and Coach K never said anything negative about the BE, winters or telling Dan to move on. Total disinformation.
I was going to reply, that this was said off mike and not on the air, but I just couldn’t do it.

Did you really think it was a serious post?

I saw in this thread, a potential coach K lovefest, and just can’t let that happen on the Boneyard. Not sure what K is up to here, but figure I’m on on solid ground imagining the worst.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I was going to reply, that this was said off mike and not on the air, but I just couldn’t do it.

Did you really think it was a serious post?

I saw in this thread, a potential coach K lovefest, and just can’t let that happen on the Boneyard. Not sure what K is up to here, but figure I’m on on solid ground imagining the worst.
Bring the dislike button back please @temery

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom