Coach Self says " good riddance " | The Boneyard

Coach Self says " good riddance "

Reaction Score
Well what did everyone expect him to say? Any coach interviewed this year about UConn is going to say the same thing.

Imagine if he said "eh, they were okay"
He would have been ridiculed.

The back 2 back has humbled every non UConn coach, fan and sports reporter in the world.

You have to bow down and then kiss the rings, nothing else to say.

Reaction Score
I've never been a big BS fan. He tends to wear his emotions on his sleeve during big games in the postseason, where his players start to press when he shows he's worried. Although KU won a national championship somewhat recently, he's had a lot of early exits and bad performances in the tournament. He always gets highly ranked recruits so I've always viewed him as a coach that has done less with more, while coaches like Calhoun and Hurley have done more with less. What I mean by more, is a roster filled with a lot of five star and McDonald's all Americans, while at UConn we generally are made up of a one or two five stars, with a roster filled with predominantly four star recruits.

With all that said, I thought his interview was extremely complimentary towards the UConn program, staff and players, so I've gained a little more respect for him. It is such an unprecedented 2 year postseason run anyone has seen for quite some time.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how well his team protects their home court and how many times they've won the Big 12. They are so difficult to beat at Allen Fieldhouse. You have to be a pretty darn good coach to win your conference and protect your home court as often as they have.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Some good quotes in here, especially towards the staff. He knows how hard it is for coaches to actually get players to embrace a system the way Hurley has. A lot of that comes from bringing in the right pieces.

“I think (Hurley) has done a good job for longer than two years. You don’t win two in a row now unless you were building to that. He’s been great. His staff has been great,” Self said.

“They were well drilled,” Self said. “It’s hard to make guys feel like they are so disciplined and at the time give them unbelievable freedom. They guarded. I thought it was a complete team. I thought the best team I’ve seen in college basketball until (them) was obviously the 2018 Villanova team.”

Reaction Score
Craziest thing about that article was when the writer said Seton Hall beat us 75-60. It made no sense when it happened and seems impossible after the NCAA run.

Seton Hall really should hang a banner or something.
They were snubbed, point blank. St. John's kept it closer than any team in the tourney too and most of the ooc. Hanging 90 on the champs, they could have stolen a game or two, could have been a dark horse s16 team.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Well what did everyone expect him to say? Any coach interviewed this year about UConn is going to say the same thing.

Imagine if he said "eh, they were okay"
He would have been ridiculed.

The back 2 back has humbled every non UConn coach, fan and sports reporter in the world.

You have to bow down and then kiss the rings, nothing else to say.

During the 2023 Tournament, St Mary's coach Randy Bennett struck me as rather blase & ungenerous about UConn after his team lost. Maybe he reevaluated after seeing how the team did in the Sweet 16 and beyond.

I like that Mahaney transferred out from Bennett to UConn.

Reaction Score
Craziest thing about that article was when the writer said Seton Hall beat us 75-60. It made no sense when it happened and seems impossible after the NCAA run.

A year ago I went with my daughter for a college visit at Providence. When the subject of athletics came up, the first thing the tour guide mentioned was that they beat uconn in the regular season and uconn went on to win the national championship.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I think that game was a necessary part of the mix for us. They were unrelenting taking it to the whole. They punched us in the face and we didn't respond. Would we have if Clingan had gotten injured? Maybe, but we were still down before he went out. That game reminded the team that this season wasn't going to be a coronation.

Reaction Score
Gee, I was hoping Self would be brutally honest and mention how they were lucky to beat UConn as we were down 1 1/2 starters and the game was at KU. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom