Coach of the year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coach of the year?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If it's not Hurley, it's a joke.

Coach of the Year has never been kind to UConn....Calhoun never won NABC or Naismith.

The year of our first title, they actually split the award and gave it to K and Jim O'Brien....I mean, come on.

Paris and Pearl have gotten fat over the SEC's inability to win a road game - not impressed with either one of those teams. Hurley lost three players to the NBA, had a team that received zero first place votes in the Big East and now he's 26-3 and sitting on a conference championship.

No one else should even get a single vote.
Hell yeah

Reaction Score
If it's not Hurley, it's a joke.

Coach of the Year has never been kind to UConn....Calhoun never won NABC or Naismith.

The year of our first title, they actually split the award and gave it to K and Jim O'Brien....I mean, come on.

Paris and Pearl have gotten fat over the SEC's inability to win a road game - not impressed with either one of those teams. Hurley lost three players to the NBA, had a team that received zero first place votes in the Big East and now he's 26-3 and sitting on a conference championship.

No one else should even get a single vote.

Neither has POY been kind to UConn. Newton will be mentioned. Despite so many guys that deserved it like Okafor or Kemba.

I guess it's what fuels the program. The lack of respect overall.

We probably won't get the number 1 overall seed even if we win the BE championship.

Reaction Score
I’d vote for Ed Cooley. Took a mediocre career at Providence and turned it into a multi-million dollar raise AND got to get out of Providence to boot. Bonus points for over Providence in the process. To paraphrase JFK, ask not what Ed Cooley can do for you, but rather ask what can you do for Ed Cooley. Give him the award. He earned it.
He has really been a miracle worker this year, earning an incredible 3M dollars per conference win. No one else is close

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I’d vote for Ed Cooley. Took a mediocre career at Providence and turned it into a multi-million dollar raise AND got to get out of Providence to boot. Bonus points for over Providence in the process. To paraphrase JFK, ask not what Ed Cooley can do for you, but rather ask what can you do for Ed Cooley. Give him the award. He earned it.
Solid job distracting the troops with a post that rather responsibly lays out your personal case for voting Cooley. A better than usual offering.

HOWEVER, you reverted to the norm with this flat-footed attempt at a victory lap -
Don’t follow Coach of the year that closely but yeah. I think maybe he should have.

You've angled yourself in a bid toward popularity in the only desperate way you can imagine, inviting UConn fans to join your cynicism, knowing that we're naturally predisposed to the catnip of pessimistic sarcasm.

Cooley gets $3 million per Big East win (best attributed to efforts by his wife & agent), and you feast on Likes you can count on your two hands, while tossing salt into the Ollie wound after the thread on that got locked, and further running with your disrespectful NOOB crap elsewhere.

You put your efforts into recruiting bad energy here. Sometimes it strikes a chord.

Enjoy this time with your head poked out of the wormhole and gear up for diminishing returns.

If you're a betting man, take the over on swifter, deeper, darker, nastier negativity from younger and more creative trolling talent. You'll be fumbling in a lonely world of irrelevance soon enough.

Roll around in the leftovers of your spicy Super Bowl Doritos. This has been your 2024 peak: appealing to this fanbase's historical insecurities immediately after the BE Regular Season is clinched.

The resultant rise within one week to the #2 ranking signals the renewed climb with some Avis-like "We try harder" energy.

You don't have it in you to chose and commit to backing a real winner and risk experiencing authentic deep emotions in a caring community, no matter how the season plays out one game at a time. I don't even "feel sorry for you."

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
He has really been a miracle worker this year, earning an incredible 3M dollars per conference win. No one else is close
It’s worse than that it’s 3 million per DePaul win! Cooley has beaten no other conference team.

Reaction Score
Solid job distracting the troops with a post that rather responsibly lays out your personal case for voting Cooley. A better than usual offering.

HOWEVER, you reverted to the norm with this flat-footed attempt at a victory lap -

You've angled yourself in a bid toward popularity in the only desperate way you can imagine, inviting UConn fans to join your cynicism, knowing that we're naturally predisposed to the catnip of pessimistic sarcasm.

Cooley gets $3 million per Big East win (best attributed to efforts by his wife & agent), and you feast on Likes you can count on your two hands, while tossing salt into the Ollie wound after the thread on that got locked, and further running with your disrespectful NOOB crap elsewhere.

You put your efforts into recruiting bad energy here. Sometimes it strikes a chord.

Enjoy this time with your head poked out of the wormhole and gear up for diminishing returns.

If you're a betting man, take the over on swifter, deeper, darker, nastier negativity from younger and more creative trolling talent. You'll be fumbling in a lonely world of irrelevance soon enough.

Roll around in the leftovers of your spicy Super Bowl Doritos. This has been your 2024 peak: appealing to this fanbase's historical insecurities immediately after the BE Regular Season is clinched.

The resultant rise within one week to the #2 ranking signals the renewed climb with some Avis-like "We try harder" energy.

You don't have it in you to chose and commit to backing a real winner and risk experiencing authentic deep emotions in a caring community, no matter how the season plays out one game at a time. I don't even "feel sorry for you."
Worthy of Art Buchwald

Reaction Score
Hurley does deserve it. He lost 3 guys to the NBA and a key cog off the bench.
He dealt with injuries that sidelined and slowed the development of a sophomore and frosh that were and are big pieces to the teams success. He had to mix in a transfer with talent, but you never know how that will turn out.
You play a tough schedule and your only out of conference loss was to the preseason #1 team, in their house, which is one of the toughest road venues to play in and hang in until the very end. Your 2 conference losses are to 1 top 20 team on the road and maybe the surprise team of the conference on the road. And finally, aside from the loss to Creighton away from home, they have been manhandling teams the last month of the season.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Hurley should win BE COY. As others stated, we were picked to finish 3rd with no first place votes. We locked up the regular season championship with 2 games left. No other coach in the conference has exceeded expectations to that level in conference.

Hurley will not win NCOY because of where we were ranked preseason.

Reaction Score
Or, hear me out... let's not do that.
Dan has been exceptional as a program builder-a winner-a communicator-a coach- recruiter-player development. Hard to imagine that any CBB coach has been more impactful and successful with their programs than him in the last two seasons. Still more work to be done over the next few weeks but I really like our chances.

Don't want him to change anything. He's hitting it out of the park. Has to be on the short list for COY this year for anyone paying attention.

Comments re: Jay W were said tongue-in-cheek. So-Let's not do that.

Reaction Score
There was an argument on here a few weeks back or longer about which team is better , last years vs. this years. It mostly went unsettled with many saying too soon to say.

I’ll say this… last years team was more talented but this years team is better as a whole. It might be the best coached team I’ve seen in watching UConn basketball for nearly 40 years.

So unselfish. So willing to make the extra pass. Everyone in their roles and performing as expected. It’s like watching the hickory huskers and I half expect to hear Hurley in one of those live lookin huddles to say “now boys don’t get caught watching the paint dry!”

Obviously a lot of the credit to Hurley but also to this group for buying in and understanding that putting aside individual means collective success.

Though sometimes I must admit I miss watching an iso and a husky beating his defender off the dribble and posterizing someone at the rim.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It might be the best coached team I’ve seen in watching UConn basketball for nearly 40 years.
That's a tall statement, and I'll decline looking across history to make an assessment, without claiming disagreement with what you wrote.

I do believe that coaching from the top down (plus the buy-in you noted) best explains the distinction between last year & this year's teams.

Less than one year ago, this forum's experienced, knowledgeable, and opinionated fanbase was quite arguably at an unsettled 50%± level regarding whether the team had a good head coach. That does not seem to be an open topic since April 3, 2023.
So unselfish. So willing to make the extra pass.
In the Seton Hall game, I texted to my sister in the opening 10 minutes - when the game was close, and SH went up 18-14 - that the team looked like it was taking an extra pass or two during several possessions, as though it was insisted upon as part of a game plan exercise in discipline.

Though sometimes I must admit I miss watching an iso and a husky beating his defender off the dribble and posterizing someone at the rim.
Rewatch the game highlights again. While they aren't quite the iso magic you refer to, Castle's dunks; Diarra's corkscrew layup; Johnson's alley oops; Cam's fadeaway; Solo's snakey drive to the rim; Alex making his line three after five misses, but having figured other ways to score; and Clingan's jams straight up without a bounce, going high off the glass, and the sequence with 2 clean-ups offa first missed shot in order to pad his stats to get the double-double (lol) all delighted me in real time, then seeing them collected together, and now picturing all of them in my mind's eye as I write these words at least 36 hours after last viewing the second of two highlights compilations.

Reaction Score
Looks like Seton Hall is now locked into the #4 BET seed. Still playing for NCAA tournament this weekend (and beyond) obviously.

I don't think #4 gets Holloway the award if we win 1 of our last 2 and win BE by 3+ games.

Reaction Score
Another vote for Hurley.

Coach of the Year: Dan Hurley, UConn Huskies

It doesn't often happen that the coach of the reigning national champion is in the mix for Coach of the Year the following season. But Hurley's situation is unique. First, the Huskies weren't picked to win the Big East. Or finish second. They were picked third in the preseason league poll, not receiving a single first-place vote. They lost three starters from that championship-winning team to the NBA and dealt with injuries to three of their five starters entering the first day of this season. And yet, they're going to enter the NCAA tournament with the best chance to repeat since Florida in 2006 and 2007.

Runners-up: Lamont Paris, South Carolina Gamecocks, Kyle Smith, Washington State Cougars and T.J. Otzelberger, Iowa State Cyclones

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom