CNN Piece on Hardwick Lawsuit | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CNN Piece on Hardwick Lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Is that really true? Only 60% of US citizens believe in evolution?
If you look at the Gallup poll in the article TJI linked, 46% believe in Creationism and 47% believe in Evolution. I supposed the other 7% is Don't Know/Don't Care/Other (Scientologists believe aliens brought humans to Earth).

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Indeed, the US has experienced an increase in both religious fundamentalists, as well as atheists/agnostics. One reason, out of many, that the country is as polarized as it's been since The Civil War. And it's caused what was a government designed with checks and balances to become absolute gridlock. That's a real problem, regardless of your political views. We have real issues around the economy, oversight of securities/derivatives creation, education, Social Security, defense spending, entitlement programs, the War on Drugs, earmarks, the environment, etc., that require civil discourse and collaboration across party lines. And we ain't getting it.

I'm not trying to spark a political debate about any of those issues here, but these are all issues that require creative solutions, consideration, and measurable progress.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The polls are always a little strange because there are degrees of belief - pure darwinian selection vs. darwinian selection with some form of 'controlling' hand of god. But yes in the USA the number is over 40% who do not believe in any form of evolutionary process (perhaps proving themselves correct!) I honestly believe this is where our problems in education begin.

Reaction Score
The Creationism v Evolution debate is very interesting...particularly here in the South where I suspect the polls tilt heavily toward Creationism. Growing up as a Catholic in New York City, I never realized the dichotomy until I moved to Texas in 1961. Biology teachers in Georgia tell their Creationism students that they just need to learn Evolution Theory for the test. That seems to eliminate most of the vitriol at the PTA.

Reaction Score
I trust the Economist...for other news you need to survey a variety of sources and rely on your own discretion.
Hey OneTrickPony - Welcome to the Boneyard!

Am I to assume based on your avatar you are a fan of one of our new BE conference mates - SMU? Welcome aboard!

I also note from your profile you live in Atlanta, GA. Small world. My son attends Georgia Tech and one of his former girlfriends (and now just a friend) is an SMU cheerleader.

We return you now to the regularly scheduled thread!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Creationism v Evolution debate is very interesting...particularly here in the South where I suspect the polls tilt heavily toward Creationism. Growing up as a Catholic in New York City, I never realized the dichotomy until I moved to Texas in 1961. Biology teachers in Georgia tell their Creationism students that they just need to learn Evolution Theory for the test. That seems to eliminate most of the vitriol at the PTA.
How are you fitting in down there?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Thanks UConnChapette...I am indeed an SMU alum. However, I must admit to following the UConn WBB team since at least the early 90's, so I've visited this site frequently over the years. It is an exceedingly small world as I'm constantly reminded!

Atlanta, like Dallas, is a metropolitan city with as many Yankees as Southerners, so I blend in pretty well. MilfordHusky. Even in 1961, we had to loan a few Yankees to the Southern team in kickball to even up the sides! ;-)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I've always said Dallas is Atlanta without the soul. Only metro in the South where, after the end of institutionalized segregation, Blacks were actually enfranchised economically. In the 1960s, its motto was, "the city too busy to hate." It should be noted, however, that many of its citizens found the time.

Reaction Score
Alex, I do think Atlanta is a model city for the American experiment. I live at the south end of Buckhead just above Midtown and the black middle class is a bourgeois as you could ask for... We need to solve the problems of public education to keep advancing!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I lived on the other side of Buckhead (by Phipps and Lenox) for five and half years before moving to CT in early 2008. Love Atlanta. Less fun to live in the city itself once you have kids (as I now do- didn't at the time), but people seem to carve out pieces of the metro area that suit them relative to where they are in their lives.

Reaction Score
Not really sure, Nan...No Child Left Behind clearly traumatized the educational community...and not only for the obvious reasons. The Atlanta Public School system is still reeling. Fortunately the new superintendent seems like the real thing!

Reaction Score
We need to do something about the math & science education in this country, Icebear...I'm open to all suggestions!

Reaction Score
Sorry, Nan...thought you were referring to the teaching scandal. Guess you haven't seen the pictures of modern humans coexisting with dinosaurs in Arkansas...sobering!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
We need to do something about the math & science education in this country, Icebear...I'm open to all suggestions!

Sorry, Nan...thought you were referring to the teaching scandal. Guess you haven't seen the pictures of modern humans coexisting with dinosaurs in Arkansas...sobering!

No, I have and as a pastor it is completely disheartening because creationism is as bad Biblically as it is scientifically. Actually, I am starting to work on a book of exercises to help people see/discover for themselves the multiple creation stories in Genesis, variances in the Gospel stories of the birth of Christ, entry to Jerusalem, the Last Supper, the garden of Gethsemene, the trials before the Sanhedrin and Pilate, the crucifixion and the resurrection. Then in seeing the variation to explore the richness of witness uncovered in diversity as the Biblical authors attempted to speak the stories of the God of Israel and Jesus of Nazareth to their unique communities.

One of the things to do is to help people make their own discoveries rather than teach an outcome. This is a very old model back to at least the Greeks but in the present climate of teach to test it is difficult. Letting people experience and think takes time. Dogmatism rarely works in faith or politics. Provocation is a much stronger teaching model.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Start a U.S. FIRST Robotics team in your school! Sorry for the commercial, I'm a big fan of the program and its mission, as well as a mentor of Team 999 CRASH Robotics.

Reaction Score
Icebear...I'm very interested in your project. My grandfather's brother was Cardinal Spellman's assistant in the 1960's and ran the New York Catholic School system. Your view seems to parallel his both in substance and in the approach you'd take. Let me know if I can help in any way!

I am actually planning to enter the public school system in lieu of retirement. In Atlanta we have a critical shortage of math and science teachers to begin with...we certified one Physics teacher in the State of Georgia last year! I belong to a network of over 1200 c-level executives in Atlanta, and many of them are spending too much time on the golf course. I hope to entice some them into the secondary system. The Gates Foundation and General Electric are both willing to fund initiatives along these lines.

Nan...you are so right. I attended the International Robotics competition twice here in Atlanta. My nephew made it both times...out from California. It was a tremendous experience and the speakers were outstanding. In the Clinton administration I was the liaison between the US Government laboratory system and the environmental business community as part of his Environmental Export Council. Very interesting to hear how the government's views on technology have evolved vcis-a-vis things like the X-Prize.

Reaction Score
Oh...and I do know a number of APS High Schools have robotics clubs. I may know more soon!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Posts like several in this thread make the Boneyard a special place to visit. I am grateful for the opportunity to read them and to occasionally participate in discussions beyond well-worn topics like recruiting and starting lineups.

Thanks Nan, JS and Biff. Thanks fellow Boneyarders.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
1TP, I sent you a link off board to an excellent paper. Check your inbox. We can continue this discussion there.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Back to the OP topic....

This morning local channel 61 took some of that video and repackaged their own report. A little more balanced and addressed a couple of the concerns about the original video 9e.g. included the original Geno denial quote and left out the sarcastic golf tournament stuff)

Fox 61 video report

Nice little nugget USA basketball left unsaid, awaiting further procedure. As to the presentation, it is better balanced yes, with interview of the accuser vs. printed quotes from the accusee. It appears that someone's keeping it in the "news" and the other is carrying on with his business. Well, I am looking forward to the Olympics and beyond (2012-13 season). This business? Seems a little tabloid-nasty to me.
Anyway Biff, thanks for posting this link.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Icebear - really sounds like a great project - my dad was a Chaucer prof, and while the text is a very different topic, the 'variations on a theme' aspect is similar. I have two bishops and 4 ministers (Episcopal) in my family tree including one of the first women ordained so while not tempted in that direction myself, the discussions are familiar.
Nan - love the robotics programs.
OneTrick - what a great plan, good luck to you.
And on a slightly partisan note - it is distressing to me when prominent politicians (including a recent presidential canditate) denegrate education, or as was recently quoted, suggest that teaching people to think is not a desired aim of school. It is almost as if we are returning to a period of educational thought where memorization and learning by rote is the norm. And I thought that had left us for good more than a century ago.
Kib - absolutely agree. We have a wide range of experience on this board and the sidebar discussions can be facinating and informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom