Closed Door Scrimmage v. Harvard | The Boneyard

Closed Door Scrimmage v. Harvard

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
What's the point of closed door scrimmages?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But if there is nothing for us to bitch about, did it really happen?
Harvard? If we really are going to playing Ivies, why not Yale? Keep the money in state! Connecticut has enough problems without out us sending money to Massachusetts.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
“Harvard is expected to be the team to beat in the Ivy League this season.” Should be a great first game for them then. Will we figure out the score?

Reaction Score
What's the point of closed door scrimmages?
It's much better than beating up on a Division 2 school.

You only get to play 2 games before the regular season. If it's open to the public it can't be a Division 1 opponent. If it's a Division 1 opponent then it can't be open to the public. Calhoun always wanted to do one of these closed door scrimmages but the AD wouldn't give up the gate receipts of one of the exhibition games.

Reaction Score
It's much better than beating up on a Division 2 school.

You only get to play 2 games before the regular season. If it's open to the public it can't be a Division 1 opponent. If it's a Division 1 opponent then it can't be open to the public. Calhoun always wanted to do one of these closed door scrimmages but the AD wouldn't give up the gate receipts of one of the exhibition games.
Besides that, is someone really asking what's the point of basketball teams scrimmaging against each other? Really Dr.?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Besides that, is someone really asking what's the point of basketball teams scrimmaging against each other? Really Dr.?

No - I think the question was more why it had to be closed to the public.

I don't think he was aware of the current scrimmage rule.

Reaction Score
Harvard has one of the best guards in America in Bryce Aiken, gonna be fun for Jalen.

Reaction Score

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Harvard? If we really are going to playing Ivies, why not Yale? Keep the money in state! Connecticut has enough problems without out us sending money to Massachusetts.
Not that either school needs the cash. Both school's endowments are 10 figures, but what money would UConn be paying?

The answer notwithstanding, the reason for Harvard is right there in the article:
First-year UConn coach Dan Hurley played several closed-door scrimmages against Harvard while at URI. The Crimson are coached by Tommy Amaker, the former Duke star and ex-coach at Seton Hall, Hurley’s alma mater. Harvard is expected to be the team to beat in the Ivy League this season.

Does Hurley have a connection with James Jones?

Reaction Score
Looks like charity game may be an issue.

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein
Sources: Any charity exhibition game prior to the start of the 2018-19 college basketball must count as one of the two program's exhibition games.
I was confused by his wording. Is he trying to say that a charity exhibition would count against the exhibition limit (of 2 exhibitions) for both teams? Or saying that just one program would have to have an open slot in order to schedule it? I'd assume the first

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom