Clingan vs edey | The Boneyard

Clingan vs edey

Reaction Score
I would show no weakness
Go right into dc and try to dunk it play 1
Use forceful moves and speed up and down forcing edey out of comfort zone.
Use a head fake here and there with angles to try and draw fouls to mix it up
On d get good position where straight up size and length bothers edey. They are both not used to opposing size. I’m hoping for dc to be 14-8-3 28 mint and keeping edey under 25 with 50% shooting and minimal assists. Lastly I don’t want this to turn into a big cs big game. Our play vs Purdue is to put incredible ball pressure on smith and to really seek out and guard the 3 while dc integrates the same way he has

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If either one of them takes a flop to draw a charge, I'm in favor of an ejection.

Let these dogs go at each other.

Reaction Score
I think it’s going to be much more difficult to get Edey the ball than their guards are used to. He’ll get his points if he gets the ball but it won’t be business as usual. Same for Clingan but we don’t need him to score even 15 to win this game. They NEED Edey to score 20.

Reaction Score
I think it’s going to be much more difficult to get Edey the ball than their guards are used to. He’ll get his points if he gets the ball but it won’t be business as usual. Same for Clingan but we don’t need him to score even 15 to win this game. They NEED Edey to score 20. 35+
FIFY

I’d be very happy if Edey only scores 20

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Just spitballin'.

Is it worth trying to have Clingan front Edey? Make thst entry pass a real tight fit to throw over a 7'2" ayee but make it catchable for Edey?

Also, way too lazy to look up. What is standing reach and wing span numbers for these two?

Reaction Score
Braden Smith will have a tough time against our much larger, physical guards. Whoever he guards will post him up. If Edey helps, Clingan and Johnson will get some easy buckets. May be a huge night for Spencer or Newton. My money is on TNew going off.

Reaction Score
Edey's going to get his points. Clingan and Sampson need to box out and not go for head fakes and leave their feet.

So he probably scores 20 plus. As long as our guards beat their guards we should be okay.

We just need a run at the right time.

They can do it.

Go UConn

Reaction Score
All DC needs to do is play tough and not get into foul trouble. The perfect scenario is they offset each other. I'll take our lineup over theirs minus Edey.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
DC is a better defensive 5 over Edey, convincingly
Edey is better offensively but he hasn't played against the two headed monster of DC and SJ
Run him into the ground

Reaction Score
I’m no coach, but i’ve wondered gor a while what a giant like Clingan attempting to front Edey would look like. I’d imagine it would be incredibly hard getting it over him, and with Steph on Braden Smith most likely, that would toughen the entry pass even more.

I know @husky429 coaches, any thoughts on dabbling in that strategy?

Reaction Score
I’m no coach, but i’ve wondered gor a while what a giant like Clingan attempting to front Edey would look like. I’d imagine it would be incredibly hard getting it over him, and with Steph on Braden Smith most likely, that would toughen the entry pass even more.

I know @husky429 coaches, any thoughts on dabbling in that strategy?

It's a risk because Edey is bigger and might get position on him. And a double-under from AK or Steph won't be as effective like normal because he's so monstrous.

Icwould imagine that the staff has had the film guys pull up successful strategies vs Edey to game plan from their losses.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Definitely won't be lobbing over the top to Edey which is a big part of their offense. DC had better grab rebounds. Tip-tap won't cut it tonight.

Reaction Score
Screen Shot 2024-04-07 at 11.24.14 AM.jpg

Reaction Score
At this point I do not think that you change what you do. Putting Clingan in an unfamiliar place by fronting Edey does not seem to be in keeping with their character.

An then there are people who say that Clingan and especially Johnson can beat Edey down the floor. Just about every center in Dev 1 can do that as well, but Purdue has prevailed regardless. It's going to be a tough game, but I suspect our guard play advantage will be the difference.

Reaction Score
Edey's going to get his points. Clingan and Sampson need to box out and not go for head fakes and leave their feet.

So he probably scores 20 plus. As long as our guards beat their guards we should be okay.

We just need a run at the right time.

They can do it.

Go UConn
Edey scores his obligatory 20-25 points and it'll be OK if we clamp down on Smith/Jones/Loyer from 3. Which I 100% think we can do.

Reaction Score
Both Clingan and Edey haven't really encountered someone the same height as them. It's going to be a great match up to watch. I'm interested to see what happens with Purdue's guards if Clingan can box out Edey consistently.

Reaction Score
Both Clingan and Edey haven't really encountered someone the same height as them. It's going to be a great match up to watch. I'm interested to see what happens with Purdue's guards if Clingan can box out Edey consistently.
DC has played Kalk twice. Not as big as Edey but still more than Edey has seen

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
Im looking at it differently - it's less about Donovan vs Edey and more about Hurley vs Painter. Our coaches are head and shoulders above the competition and I think we'll see not one, but several different schemes to keep Edey from getting comfortable. Front him, back him - run one of our guys in front of him at his hands, whatever it takes to make him uncomfortable and feeling pressure.
This is not only the game I've been dying to see, but the chess match of the year. Fortunately for us, Hurley, Young, Murray and Moore are the grand masters of the game. Can't wait.

Reaction Score
Could not agree more 1999GoodSon

What I love about this matchup is how coaching is so integral in this game plan. Both Painter and Hurley will scheme to utilize their big man and neutralize the other.

Reaction Score
At this point I do not think that you change what you do. Putting Clingan in an unfamiliar place by fronting Edey does not seem to be in keeping with their character.

An then there are people who say that Clingan and especially Johnson can beat Edey down the floor. Just about every center in Dev 1 can do that as well, but Purdue has prevailed regardless. It's going to be a tough game, but I suspect our guard play advantage will be the difference.
But beating Edey down the floor is only half the story. You also have to be able to get stops on defense in order to get out in transition and beat Edey down the floor. And UConn is one of the few teams who have someone capable of sticking with Edey 1 on 1 and covering their shooters

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom