Clax as a running back? | The Boneyard

Clax as a running back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the quotes attached to the press release:

"Jazzmar Clax is going to be a big kid for us. I know he can play linebacker but I can't wait to see him at running back. He is a very explosive player that is very versatile and flexible to multiple positions."

It would be nice to have another running back, but I haven't heard anyone talk about him on the offensive side of the ball.

Reaction Score
From the quotes attached to the press release:

"Jazzmar Clax is going to be a big kid for us. I know he can play linebacker but I can't wait to see him at running back. He is a very explosive player that is very versatile and flexible to multiple positions."

It would be nice to have another running back, but I haven't heard anyone talk about him on the offensive side of the ball.

He said he would like to see him play FB, he was a rb in high school as well as lb

Reaction Score
My gut tells me when it's all said and done he ends up on the defensive side of the ball.. way too productive on D....

Reaction Score
My gut tells me when it's all said and done he ends up on the defensive side of the ball.. way too productive on D....

I do agree with you. But to the OP, in the press conference, Coach P actually said he wants to see him at FB as well, similar to Wyatt Vinci. He will take a look at both of them at FB and LB.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I do agree with you. But to the OP, in the press conference, Coach P actually said he wants to see him at FB as well, similar to Wyatt Vinci. He will take a look at both of them at FB and LB.

Agree one of those two ends up on offense at fullback. The other guy ends up at linebacker on the inside

Reaction Score
More fullbacks? Kinda of like having backup can openers. Good idea on that one occasion in a decade where you can't find the one you always need.

Sounds like both of these kids are gonna be really good - but on the defensive side of the LOS. On the other hand . . . only 1 tailback in this class??? Was hoping for a couple. Let's not repeat history at TB by following the Randy/Dan O/QB neglect senario.

Reaction Score
More fullbacks? Kinda of like having backup can openers. Good idea on that one occasion in a decade where you can't find the one you always need.

Sounds like both of these kids are gonna be really good - but on the defensive side of the LOS. On the other hand . . . only 1 tailback in this class??? Was hoping for a couple. Let's not repeat history at TB by following the Randy/Dan O/QB neglect senario.

They have RB's, infact they now have 1 RS Sr., 2 soph, and 2 Fr. They are already pursuing a number of RB's for next years class so we could see a couple more coming in next year as well.

Reaction Score
Honestly, this is the one thing that surprised me about this class. Clax and Vinci have similar skill sets. I'm surprised we used an extra scholarship here because clearly one of these kids will be moved to LB and we already have 3 others in this class. I would've preferred to use the extra scholly on another CB, but what the hell do I know....

Reaction Score
Honestly, this is the one thing that surprised me about this class. Clax and Vinci have similar skill sets. I'm surprised we used an extra scholarship here because clearly one of these kids will be moved to LB and we already have 3 others in this class. I would've preferred to use the extra scholly on another CB, but what the hell do I know....

I think one of the main objectives the staff had with this year's recruiting class, was to build depth at LB. It's been mentioned by a few posters that Don Brown's defense requires it's LBs to be very active, more so than typical defense. As such, they wear down during games. To continue being effective, it's important for the defense to keep fresh legs on the field, especially at LB. So building depth at LB would appear to be essential in order for D. Brown's defense to be most effective.

Reaction Score
He's coming in as a fullback, and I'd expect to see him as a key ST guy if he makes the two deep as true freshman. Think Deon Anderson.

Wholley didn't discuss him, Clayton did.

I think what's hidden in this recruiting class, is that competition on our kick coverage teams is going to be enormous, quite literally, not just figuratively. We've got some potential monsters we can put out there with speed and tackling ability in space in this class.

Imagine a lineup of guys that look like Claxx, and Vinci running full speed down the field and put the hat on somebody.

WIth the rules changes that went into place last year with the kick returns and the elimination of blocking wedges, we need a spread of guys across that field on kick coverages that can blow people up, rather than just one or two guys to destroy a wedge and then guys to fill in around it.

Reaction Score
BTW: My favorite quote of the night was Don Brown stepping up there and saying something to the effect..."This is exciting, how about we go out on that field and smash some people."

I also like when P was asked to talk about his super bowl feelings, and Eli Manning,a nd David Tyree's helmet catch, etc.....that he said how he and the coach's are always shooting the about stuff like that, and on that helmet catch play, all Coach Brown cares about on that play is that Eli Manning should have gotten planted for a sack.

Hank Hughes was impressive too. I think all the coaches did a great job up there on the podium. It may be the case, that it was the first time for a couple of them to be in front of crowd that big, and be talking about recruits.

Reaction Score
I think what's hidden in this recruiting class, is that competition on our kick coverage teams is going to be enormous, quite literally, not just figuratively. We've got some potential monsters we can put out there with speed and tackling ability in space in this class.

Imagine a lineup of guys that look like Claxx, and Vinci running full speed down the field and put the hat on somebody.

WIth the rules changes that went into place last year with the kick returns and the elimination of blocking wedges, we need a spread of guys across that field on kick coverages that can blow people up, rather than just one or two guys to destroy a wedge and then guys to fill in around it.

IMHO, it was no coincidence that our kickoff return coverage suffered without Sio on that unit this year. This should help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom