OT: - Class Action Settlement Question | The Boneyard

OT: Class Action Settlement Question

Reaction Score
Has anyone ever received a class action settlement payment?

I must have received over 10 Class Action notices in my lifetime, and have never filled out the form for my entitlement. Not sure why, but I always felt that the amount of payment is so low not to be worth it. Plus the companies that have sent them to me, I am such a small user of their services. I just received Yahoo's Security Breach Settlement and again I have the option to participate in the entitlements (doesn't say how much but something about free credit monitoring). Of course its written by the legal department so the text is in novel form (too long to read). I'm now wondering if my laziness or trepidation is costing me.

Is it worth it?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Has anyone ever received a class action settlement payment?

I must have received over 10 Class Action notices in my lifetime, and have never filled out the form for my entitlement. Not sure why, but I always felt that the amount of payment is so low not to be worth it. Plus the companies that have sent them to me, I am such a small user of their services. I just received Yahoo's Security Breach Settlement and again they I have the option to participate in the entitlements (doesn't say how much but something about free credit monitoring). Of course its written by the legal department so the text is in novel form (too long to read). I'm now wondering if my laziness or trepidation is costing me.

Is it worth it?

I got one from TD Bank over their Penny Arcade miscounting change. Pretty sure I ended up getting 1 dollar.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The only winners of class action events are the lawyers that file them. The get the real money. 40% of a 200 M settlement is big money...dividing the remaining 60% by 200k class members...not so much
And then the consumer ends up paying this legal money grab.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The only winners of class action events are the lawyers that file them. The get the real money. 40% of a 200 M settlement is big money...dividing the remaining 60% by 200k class members...not so much

Can confirm. Was at a firm that local counsel for the biggest and worst of them (most of the partners went to prison) back in the 90s.

Reaction Score
Your statement about how much you used the service is the key to me. I throw most away but twice have gotten a few hundred dollars on things that I thought would be worth the effort to fill out whatever forms I needed to. It also generally takes years for these to get to get to the payout point.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
unless you have been hurt financial or physically it is not worth it. Like someone else said the law firms make out great not those who file in a mass lawsuit

Reaction Score
I got a few hundred out of the BarBri antitrust settlement, and I did fill out the Equifax paperwork. Never bothered with any others as there wasn’t much to recover.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom