Clark's Scoring | The Boneyard

Clark's Scoring

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe that Caitlin has 2,717 points in 3 seasons. Next year, she could surpass Kelsey Plum's career record. If she takes a Covid extension and plays a 5th year, she could surpass one of the most untouchable records, that of Pete Maravich. Those standards may give her some motivation.

Reaction Score
I believe that Caitlin has 2,717 points in 3 seasons. Next year, she could surpass Kelsey Plum's career record. If she takes a Covid extension and plays a 5th year, she could surpass one of the most untouchable records, that of Pete Maravich. Those standards may give her some motivation.
Clark should break Plum's record next year imo. She needs just over 800 points next season and she had over 1,000 this season alone. Another 1,000 point season would be enough to break Maravich's record also. With Czinano leaving, I think Iowa's gonna have to rely on her scoring even more next year so she has a great chance of surpassing both records.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Swerve: anyone that breaks Pistol Pete's record should have an asterisk after their name (but will never happen) because he didn't have the luxury of the 3 point shot. Many of his shots were well outside of every 3 point distance that has been used in the NCAA. And he only played 3 seasons at LSU.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very impressive numbers for Caitlin. Caitlin is just a joy to watch. Always a triple threat. She can get buckets from anywhere.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Clark should break Plum's record next year imo. She needs just over 800 points next season and she had over 1,000 this season alone. Another 1,000 point season would be enough to break Maravich's record also. With Czinano leaving, I think Iowa's gonna have to rely on her scoring even more next year so she has a great chance of surpassing both records.
Barring injury she should accomplish this. Even more impressive, Clark’s missed out on about 7-8 games too due to covid her first 2 seasons. She also has a shot to set the scoring record, hit 1000 rebounds, 1000 assists and finish top 2-3 in 3pt FG all time in 4 years (minus the Covid games). If she uses her Covid year she’ll obliterate several other records.

Angel Reese too has a shot at Courtney Paris’s all time rebound record if she stays 5 years. Plus she missed most of her freshman season and only had 90 rebounds.

Reaction Score
Barring injury she should accomplish this. Even more impressive, Clark’s missed out on about 7-8 games too due to covid her first 2 seasons. She also has a shot to set the scoring record, hit 1000 rebounds, 1000 assists and finish top 2-3 in 3pt FG all time in 4 years (minus the Covid games). If she uses her Covid year she’ll obliterate several other records.

Angel Reese too has a shot at Courtney Paris’s all time rebound record if she stays 5 years. Plus she missed most of her freshman season and only had 90 rebounds.
Good points, ballnut90. I'll add that Caitlin led the nation in both scoring and assists as a freshman and sophomore, and would have made it three straight seasons had it not been for Maddy Siegrist's great season.

I'll throw in a bit of an Iowa preview for next year: as great as Czinano has been as a scorer in the paint, next year's Hawkeyes' front line will have a likely improved Hannah Stuelke and 6'4'' Addison O'Grady, who, while hardly a finished product, has the advantage of developing under the program's strong post coaching. With Clark's sidekicks, Kate Martin and Gabbie Marshall, both back, Iowa might most miss the under-sung three-point shooting and rebounding of McKenna Warnock.

Iowa should be just fine in '23-24.

Reaction Score
Reese’s trajectory has been so intriguing to me. Recruited out of high school as the next great wing, played the 5 at Maryland out of team necessity. Thrived in that spot but transferred because she wanted to play a different position. Became even more dominant in that same position. I’m not sure what her prospects as a WNBA center would be but she is damn sure one of the nation’s best players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Swerve: anyone that breaks Pistol Pete's record should have an asterisk after their name (but will never happen) because he didn't have the luxury of the 3 point shot. Many of his shots were well outside of every 3 point distance that has been used in the NCAA. And he only played 3 seasons at LSU.

Pete played when freshmen were ineligible, so he set the record in 3 seasons, which were shorter than current seasons. Even if his points record is broken (the Covid 5th year will cause some records to be broken, such as the women's 3-point makes set by Taylor Robertson), Pete's points-per-game record is untouchable: 44.2 ppg.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
Good points, ballnut90. I'll add that Caitlin led the nation in both scoring and assists as a freshman and sophomore, and would have made it three straight seasons had it not been for Maddy Siegrist's great season.

I'll throw in a bit of an Iowa preview for next year: as great as Czinano has been as a scorer in the paint, next year's Hawkeyes' front line will have a likely improved Hannah Stuelke and 6'4'' Addison O'Grady, who, while hardly a finished product, has the advantage of developing under the program's strong post coaching. With Clark's sidekicks, Kate Martin and Gabbie Marshall, both back, Iowa might most miss the under-sung three-point shooting and rebounding of McKenna Warnock.

Iowa should be just fine in '23-24.
Commenting on your preview. Caitlin will still get her points, but having a bigger yet versatile frontcourt featuring Stuelke and O'Grady may surprise. Stuelke focused on what the coaches needed from her this season, but she has 3pt range, goes off the dribble, now has post moves, and can dunk in the open court. O'Grady has size, mobility, and some range on her shot too. If they go smaller with Martin at the 4, plenty of shooters on the bench in Davis who saw good minutes, McCabe one of the best shooters in her class, and hopefully the healthy return of Kyle Feuerbach. Syd Affolter will see an expanded role too, love her defense and rebounding, can score at all levels. I think Lisa will have to expand her bench players roles next season so will be interesting.

Reaction Score
Reese’s trajectory has been so intriguing to me. Recruited out of high school as the next great wing, played the 5 at Maryland out of team necessity. Thrived in that spot but transferred because she wanted to play a different position. Became even more dominant in that same position. I’m not sure what her prospects as a WNBA center would be but she is damn sure one of the nation’s best players.
Reese and Shakira Austin are very much alike in their play. Imagine Maryland had them both, played them at the 5, they both transferred because they were playing the 5, only to play the 5 at their new school…and be great at it. I think she’ll be a great pro.

Reaction Score
Pete played 83 games in 3 seasons. NCAA rules prohibited freshmen playing on varsity. He averaged 43.6 ppg in 19 games on the Freshman team.

On the road freshman team would most times play the their opponents freshmen team before the varsity - and drew a larger crowd.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Reese and Shakira Austin are very much alike in their play. Imagine Maryland had them both, played them at the 5, they both transferred because they were playing the 5, only to play the 5 at their new school…and be great at it. I think she’ll be a great pro.
Wait, what? No way were they alike other than both being at Maryland and transferring out. Reese was way more skilled and agile at the 4 and the 5 than Austin ever was. Reese is clutch, where as Shakira is not (at least during her college days). Shakira has proven to be a much better pro than I ever envisioned. You are right on these two plus Aja Wilson/Azura Stevens who all envision themselves as wings despite their size and paint skills.

Reaction Score
Pete played 83 games in 3 seasons. NCAA rules prohibited freshmen playing on varsity. He averaged 43.6 ppg in 19 games on the Freshman team.

On the road freshman team would most times play the their opponents freshmen team before the varsity - and drew a larger crowd.
One more factor in defense of Pete’s scoring record is the fact that when he played there was no shot clock in collegiate basketball The shot clock increases the number of possessions during a game giving the players more opportunities to score.
That being said it all depends on how the “record” is worded. If the record is “most points in a college career” Clark and Reese have the opportunity to break the record. The same debate occurred when Maris hit 61 home runs in 162 games vs Ruth’s 60 in 154 games.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom