Clamps - The D is truly impressive. No easy shots. | The Boneyard

Clamps - The D is truly impressive. No easy shots.

Reaction Score
I said in the chat that our team defense is suffocating precisely because our individual defense is excellent. Our on-ball defenders rarely need help, or if they do, it's a simple double and relaxing off when the drive is shut down. There isn't a lot of rotation needed, switching, mismatches, or any of the situations that undress lesser defenses.

That's the sort of thing that's hard to beat with coaching, and what team is going to out-talent us at that end?

Reaction Score
futurama-robot-mafia.gif

Reaction Score
Defense travels even when offense doesn’t. I just don’t know how you can beat this team. Would take a miracle at this point
Still very likely to happen at some point. Feels like it will take one of those games where the opponent is just unnaturally hot from 3, but would require UConn to be ice cold as well.

Reaction Score
Still very likely to happen at some point. Feels like it will take one of those games where the opponent is just unnaturally hot from 3, but would require UConn to be ice cold as well.
That’s the thing though, we defend the 3 so well that it would take some insane shots to go in for it to matter

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Played our C- game vs a top 50 team away from home... won by 22

It's weird. Your best player plays his A+ game. Alleyne plays a B+ or A game. Newton was solid throughout.

Defense and offense rebounding were elite.
Yet several other key contributors were average to below average.

I don't think you are off by more than half a letter to a letter.

Considering it was first road game, I go B-.

Reaction Score
Interesting Chin you saying Newton was solid throughout, you should have been in the Chat room some people were calling for him to be benched.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
It's weird. Your best player plays his A+ game. Alleyne plays a B+ or A game. Newton was solid throughout.

Defense and offense rebounding were elite.
Yet several other key contributors were average to below average.

I don't think you are off by more than half a letter to a letter.

Considering it was first road game, I go B-.
I think it's more like C- for 30 minutes and A- or A for 10 minutes. Not sure how you grade that.

Reaction Score
Interesting Chin you saying Newton was solid throughout, you should have been in the Chat room some people were calling for him to be benched.

The chat is the worst content from the main board condensed into a 2 hour scroll. I wouldn’t put a ton of stock into it. If a random person were to look at the chat mid-game they would assume UConn was losing by 40 no matter the actual score.

Reaction Score
The chat is the worst content from the main board condensed into a 2 hour scroll. I wouldn’t put a ton of stock into it. If a random person were to look at the chat mid-game they would assume UConn was losing by 40 no matter the actual score.
I'm a huge Newton fan. He was not very good today. Couldn't shoot a lick, lost his dribble at inopportune times (like he drove and gained an advantage and then had a high dribble so had to keep going through the baseline instead of getting a layup), Clingan threw a pass at his head and he just missed it.

Only thing he did well was clean up the d-boards well, but most of those he was just rebounding over our own guys. We'll see how he charts out on my re-watch, but my initial impression watching live was I thought it was one of his worst games.

Reaction Score
Yeah, all teams have games where shots aren't falling like the first half, but the D overcame it. Amazing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think it's more like C- for 30 minutes and A- or A for 10 minutes. Not sure how you grade that.

I'd split the difference and call it a B-.

Mostly because the stretch when UConn took it from a 3 or 4 point game to a 20 point game was A+ in my opinion.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm a huge Newton fan. He was not very good today. Couldn't shoot a lick, lost his dribble at inopportune times (like he drove and gained an advantage and then had a high dribble so had to keep going through the baseline instead of getting a layup), Clingan threw a pass at his head and he just missed it.

Only thing he did well was clean up the d-boards well, but most of those he was just rebounding over our own guys. We'll see how he charts out on my re-watch, but my initial impression watching live was I thought it was one of his worst games.

Newton wasn't great but he was solid. Played 32 minutes, D was consistent, was off.

Like the rest of you, I'd love for him to tighten up his handle in the paint and have a better game plan in the paint but he was fine tonight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom