Cincy | The Boneyard

Cincy

Reaction Score
looked very well coached. Absolutely played better defense than UConn.

Reaction Score
The team basically consists of players recruited by Jamelle. I wonder if
they would be playing as well for Jamelle as they are for the new coach.

Reaction Score
UConns problem is not the defense
Uconn has 6 number one's recruited players , 3 AA's and 2 potential AA's They know how to play the game.
They (at least 8 on that team have been coached in the Geno Defense system , the know how to play defense.

The problem (if there is one) is mental tiredness, some may have tired bodies. The coach hasn't found the right motivation to make effective players beyond Napeesa (who also made bad errors). I'd give them the time between now and the day before the next game AWAY from basketball--clear their heads and try again with UCF.

Reaction Score
Uconn has 6 number one's recruited players , 3 AA's and 2 potential AA's They know how to play the game.
They (at least 8 on that team have been coached in the Geno Defense system , the know how to play defense.

The problem (if there is one) is mental tiredness, some may have tired bodies. The coach hasn't found the right motivation to make effective players beyond Napeesa (who also made bad errors). I'd give them the time between now and the day before the next game AWAY from basketball--clear their heads and try again with UCF.
How come its only our team that's tired?

Reaction Score

They have had a long stretch of traveling, which is very tiring and have a target on their back. I agree that Geno should give them a day off. No one knows what nagging injuries are bothering them.
Teams are very physical against them! The old if you can’t beat them!beat them up.

Reaction Score
I suggest other teams are tired but when they face Uconn they get at "second wind". Teams facing the giant have 2 choices: 1. Fold or 2. Play way beyond your normal average way. Then there is Uconn practices are 2 hours long and intense, harder, more demanding all of which wears on the body and mind. Then, too, Uconn typically use only 5 or 6 maybe 7 while other teams use up to 10--a lot of fouls to give.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The team basically consists of players recruited by Jamelle. I wonder if
they would be playing as well for Jamelle as they are for the new coach.

Probably not.
They have had a long stretch of traveling, which is very tiring and have a target on their back. I agree that Geno should give them a day off. No one knows what nagging injuries are bothering them.
Teams are very physical against them! The old if you can’t beat them!beat them up.

UConn always "has a target on their back" and this isn't the first time they have had road games. I think the overtiring road stuff is overdone.
JMO but I don't think that as a team they are as good as we thought after the ND game. Lots of missing components. No superstar, only one dependable player and no bench.

Reaction Score
Probably not.

UConn always "has a target on their back" and this isn't the first time they have had road games. I think the overtiring road stuff is overdone.
JMO but I don't think that as a team they are as good as we thought after the ND game. Lots of missing components. No superstar, only one dependable player and no bench.

Pheesa

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In terms of being tired, who else played Thursday night and Saturday at noon? That is an unusually short turnaround. The team had not yet fully processed the Louisville game. I give yesterday’s game an asterisk.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Louisville did, and crushed Clemson.
Good point. Was their game at noon also?

They were coming off a high and may have been overconfident but weren’t. It’s a different emotional state. Granted, Louisville should have been as physically tired as UConn, but the mental states were vastly different.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Good point. Was their game at noon also?

The start time was 2 hours later. Maybe those 2 hours made a huge difference.

They were coming off a high and may have been overconfident but weren’t. It’s a different emotional state. Granted, Louisville should have been as physically tired as UConn, but the mental states were vastly different.

I would argue that a team coming off a loss should be more motivated and sharper, and that a team coming off a big win can be prone to a hangover.

Reaction Score
I certainly respect those who think being tired is the reason for this midseason so-called slump, but to me there are other rather basic flaws in how these kids play the game, and to some degree it's pervasive in the women's game. Anyone ever hear of a bounce pass? How about a ball fake once in awhile to keep the defense honest and become a bit less predictable? And maybe a pump fake to get the defender off her feet rather then going straight up so often? With Christyn - to me it's like sitting a two year old in front of the TV to watch Sesame Street - it's bombardment of information at this juncture. Take the reins off and let her play.

Reaction Score
I certainly respect those who think being tired is the reason for this midseason so-called slump, but to me there are other rather basic flaws in how these kids play the game, and to some degree it's pervasive in the women's game. Anyone ever hear of a bounce pass? How about a ball fake once in awhile to keep the defense honest and become a bit less predictable? And maybe a pump fake to get the defender off her feet rather then going straight up so often? With Christyn - to me it's like sitting a two year old in front of the TV to watch Sesame Street - it's bombardment of information at this juncture. Take the reins off and let her play.
And whatever happened to the jump stop, get the defender on your back and then up strong. Those are weak takes by Meg. If she did that with her thick frame, she would score every time. And you protect the ball so it doesn’t get slapped away.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Uconn has 6 number one's recruited players , 3 AA's and 2 potential AA's They know how to play the game.......
Never let the truth get in the way of a good post...KLS, Meg and CW were #1s. Crystal Dangerfield was the #3, Olivia #5, Pheesa was #6 and 2 AA’s from past years in KLS and Pheesa. Just get your facts right...
The team has played way too many road games and Geno is was too stubborn to let the talent play. Hopefully these long trips help come NCAA time

Reaction Score
Never let the truth get in the way of a good post...KLS, Meg and CW were #1s. Crystal Dangerfield was the #3, Olivia #5, Pheesa was #6 and 2 AA’s from past years in KLS and Pheesa. Just get your facts right...
The team has played way too many road games and Geno is was too stubborn to let the talent play. Hopefully these long trips help come NCAA time

Bow to fact check. Point was these kids know how to play AA's and potential AA's seem to be correct. Thanks

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The start time was 2 hours later. Maybe those 2 hours made a huge difference.

I would argue that a team coming off a loss should be more motivated and sharper, and that a team coming off a big win can be prone to a hangover.
I think they were more sad than angry, still processing things that they hadn't experienced before--2 regular season losses in 4 weeks. We'll see how the emotions evolve over the coming weeks.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As Geno said, Meg needs to work on her layups. She did the hard part by getting shots in close, but she missed about 6 of them. She definitely needs a variety of moves. Meg doesn't have the length or elevation to shoot over bigs. She needs to use a head fake, double-clutch, etc. She's obviously still a work in progress. She should have had 10-12 more points yesterday.

Reaction Score
Cincy held UConn 15 points below their season average, and, for only the 2nd time this year, UConn shot less than 40% from the field.
Does not mean they were better than UConn's defense, and certainly not by a mile.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom