Cincy, Houston, UCF and BYU | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cincy, Houston, UCF and BYU

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
and they hide behind the total false premise of “well at least we are in the big east and didn’t get left behind in the AAC! It was the right move! Hooray Benedict!”
It was the right move. If we were in the AAC right now why would the Big12 add a school that’s closest conference mate (WVU) is an outlier from the rest of the it’s conference and who’s football program has been a joke the last decade. At least now we control our schedule and get compelling games. And our basketball program doesn’t die a slow death of Wednesday night 9pm tips at Tulsa.

Reaction Score
Flush out your head gear, new guy. Maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but joining a P5 is not something we can just do.
The P4 or P5 conferences will transition in the next few years. The ACC in particular may be looking to add more schools, especially if Clemson and a few other schools leave for the SEC. UConn can once again be in the running. UConn has won numerous national championships in some sports. If we get a new FB coach I would not be surprised if we could make it to the top 40 ranked FB schools within a few years. We also bring impressive demographics and a location close to NYC metro.

Reaction Score
Big 12 is going into football recruiting hotbeds Florida, Texas, and Ohio and taking a big BYU fanbase. Even if we were a respectable football program, I doubt we get an invite.

And besides, this is a Big 12 without Oklahoma and Texas. Don't lose sleep over it.
That’s among the best BB conference in the country.
Kansas
Baylor
KS
TT
OSU
TCU
ISU
WVA
Cinncy
Houston
BYU
UCF
6-7 bid league
The Big East fostering a BB alliance with that group would be great
Playing Minimally Cinncy and West Va annually
This could also help the helpless UConn administration
By jumping on an Eastern football alliance
UConn
Navy
Army
UMass
Temple
USF
Pick a couple of more

Maybe 8 teams giving us seven affiliation games of decent interest plus 4-5 other games
If I were Benedict I would be on the phone today

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The P4 or P5 conferences will transition in the next few years. The ACC in particular may be looking to add more schools, especially if Clemson and a few other schools leave for the SEC. UConn can once again be in the running. UConn has won numerous national championships in some sports. If we get a new FB coach I would not be surprised if we could make it to the top 40 ranked FB schools within a few years. We also bring impressive demographics and a location close to NYC metro.
I would love this to happen; however, the things you describe are out of UCONN's control.

Reaction Score
Well...I wouldn't get too crazy here....they weren't invited to the ACC or SEC. They are still the #4 school in Florida. Yes...they have progressed... mainly because of commitment and location.

They are still a commuter school.
Yet they will likely be joining another "commuter" school, Louisville, in increasing their revenues by getting into the P5, while the non commuter, top 25 public university continues to wither away.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
the decade long nightmare is almost over lads.

gonna miss those road trips to play at Tulane, Tulsa and ECU.

guess at Kansas, at Baylor and at WVU will have to do.

Reaction Score
the decade long nightmare is almost over lads.

gonna miss those road trips to play at Tulane, Tulsa and ECU.

guess at Kansas, at Baylor and at WVU will have to do.
From your lips to God's ears (but I'm not holding my breath)

Reaction Score
Jim , I have a different point of view: When it was apparent that Pitt & the Fruit were headed to the ACC & the Big East was on life support, the administrations of UCONN & WVU acted totally differently. The leadership in Storrs was trying to shore up the Big East, whereas the Mountaineer leadership actively campaigned for addition to the XII along with TCU who said thanks but no thanks to the Big East.
The true outlier in the XII is WVU. They actually campaigned for more Eastern
representation in the XII at the time of their admittance. THAT time period was the lost opportunity for UCONN. That HUSKY leadership did not originally apply to the XII at the same time as WVU & TCU because of lack of foresight is the true tragedy of this saga,
If you go back to when the Big 12 added new members in 2011, the first choice was TCU. The West Virginia addition was delayed as Louisville jumped into the ring. It was rumored Texas wanted West Virginia and Oklahoma wanted Louisville. UConn wasn’t considered as the 10th and it really didn’t matter what UConn’s administration did.

During round 2 of Big 12 expansion, it appears UConn made the first cut of candidates to join the Big 12, but UConn was not one of the favorites. The top 3 were rumored to be Cinci, UCF, and Houston, with BYU as a possible football only add. Rumor is social policies lead to BYU being dropped but who knows and expansion didn’t happen.

According to articles on Big 12 expansion, the biggest drawback for UConn was geography and that hasn’t changed.

When UConn first announced they were leaving the AAC, I was upset as I thought football would be impacted. Over time, I realized an independent football schedule was not only feasible, but it was more attractive and UConn was actually able to get a football media contract.

In my opinion, UConn can win as an independent. I like that Edsall has turned around the roster and rebuilt the foundation, but I am not happy about Giufre and his offense. If Edsall does get replaced, I think the turnaround of the football program can be fast if UConn hires an offensive minded coach as the roster today is much better than when Edsall was hired.

Reaction Score
More like Bronze tickets. Better to move than stay in the AAC but are you in the game?

But there’s nothing magic about the 5 in P5. Does anyone really think that after TX and OK leave, the 4 power conferences are going to treat the XII as one of them, as opposed to with the AAC and MWC in the next grouping?

Title IX will prevent the fantasy some have that they will leave the NCAA for football and nothing else. If you pay football players, you have to pay an equivalent number of female athletes. How do you do that in an NCAA where a majority doesn’t pay female athletes and won’t want to compete against them?

When this happens — not if, although it may not happen anytime soon — the power football schools will leave the NCAA altogether. That will make basketball less financially powerful for both the football powers and everyone else, but the football powers won’t care because the extra football money will dwarf the basketball losses.

I thought Title IX was a federal law and not an NCAA requirement.

Anyway, I think NIL makes it largely a mute point, because that will be done outside the schools (on the surface anyway) and, presumably outside of Title IX requirements.

Reaction Score
What did Benedict gain by jumping the gun?? The NBE was not going anywhere, since they are non-P5.

TBH, Benedict's biggest blunder was the Edsall hire. If he would've made a better hire there (and actually paid a decent wage to lure someone not on a bonus plan), UCONN still had time at that point to get respectable and make a case for P5.

The Big 12 is the best basketball league in the country. The new teams add more success than the teams that left.

Fran Fraschilla on Twitter: ".@Big12Conference Basketball just got better. @BYUMBB & 22,000 seat Marriott Center. The tradition of @UHCougarMBK & @GoBearcatsMBB & their new arenas will be huge. @UCF_MBB, a potential goldmine. https://post original url/aNkS5M7RB1" / Twitter

Reaction Score
What did Benedict gain by jumping the gun?? The NBE was not going anywhere, since they are non-P5.

TBH, Benedict's biggest blunder was the Edsall hire. If he would've made a better hire there (and actually paid a decent wage to lure someone not on a bonus plan), UCONN still had time at that point to get respectable and make a case for P5.

The Big 12 is the best basketball league in the country. The new teams add more success than the teams that left.

Fran Fraschilla on Twitter: ".@Big12Conference Basketball just got better. @BYUMBB & 22,000 seat Marriott Center. The tradition of @UHCougarMBK & @GoBearcatsMBB & their new arenas will be huge. @UCF_MBB, a potential goldmine. https://post original url/aNkS5M7RB1" / Twitter
He had to jump when he did for these reasons:

1) Men's basketball was floundering and about to go into a tailspin staying in the AAC. No real rivals and the conference tournament was not going to be in desirable locations. The program has stabilized and recruiting has improved since the move to the BE.

2) Women's basketball in the AAC was a joke as there was no competition. When Geno eventually retires, the AAC would have doomed the program.

3) Football was dying in the AAC as fans really didn't care about the conference. I do blame the coaching hires, but I just don't think the AAC was a good fit.

4) Revenues and costs. The new AAC media contract was a joke with schools absorbing production costs. Benedict waited to see the contract and it didn't justify staying in the AAC. And, travel costs were an issue.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
He had to jump when he did for these reasons:

1) Men's basketball was floundering and about to go into a tailspin staying in the AAC. No real rivals and the conference tournament was not going to be in desirable locations. The program has stabilized and recruiting has improved since the move to the BE.

2) Women's basketball in the AAC was a joke as there was no competition. When Geno eventually retires, the AAC would have doomed the program.

3) Football was dying in the AAC as fans really didn't care about the conference. I do blame the coaching hires, but I just don't think the AAC was a good fit.

4) Revenues and costs. The new AAC media contract was a joke with schools absorbing production costs. Benedict waited to see the contract and it didn't justify staying in the AAC. And, travel costs were an issue.
And #5, the AAC contract refused to parse out the WBB from the media deal....which means our standout WBB program was poised to subsidize the rest of the AAC. No way that could be allowed to happen.....it would have been a gross injustice.

Reaction Score
I disagree. The AAC has actually been very good. It was the lack of success that affected attendance. "Lack of success" is on the AD.

That being said, FIVE AAC teams (half of the Originals) have now found P5 homes (between the ACC, B1G, and Big 12). That's crazy that half got promoted but UConn didn't squeeze into the plane. UConn got a spot on the planes wheel as it was lifting off.

Attachments

• 4DE59324-8632-45A7-B014-6449FE776E96.jpeg
    4DE59324-8632-45A7-B014-6449FE776E96.jpeg
    666.8 KB · Views: 110

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
I disagree. The AAC has actually been very good. It was the lack of success that affected attendance. "Lack of success" is on the AD.

That being said, FIVE AAC teams (half of the Originals) have now found P5 homes (between the ACC, B1G, and Big 12). That's crazy that half got promoted but UConn didn't squeeze into the plane. UConn got a spot on the planes wheel as it was lifting off.
You can’t seriously be including Louisville and Rutgers as members of the AAC that elevated themselves to P5. They played one zombie season in the AAC and then bolted, and that’s only because they couldn’t leave sooner.

Reaction Score
And #5, the AAC contract refused to parse out the WBB from the media deal....which means our standout WBB program was poised to subsidize the rest of the AAC. No way that could be allowed to happen.....it would have been a gross injustice.

You gotta keep your eyes on the prize. That's all ticky-tack stuff next to riding the train to P5.

Reaction Score
You can’t seriously be including Louisville and Rutgers as members of the AAC that elevated themselves to P5. They played one zombie season in the AAC and then bolted, and that’s only because they couldn’t leave sooner.

That was 100% the original group.

NO ONE expected the B1G to take Rutgers. They were always expected to be a staple.

Reaction Score
TBH, Benedict's biggest blunder was the Edsall hire.

A few people "in the know" here said that Edsall was essentially hired by the boosters. We needed money for the Diaco buyout and apparently someone was willing to donate the money on the condition that Edsall was hired as the replacement.

Maybe that's not true. Idk. But let's say it is true. Do you take that deal and roll the dice with Edsall or keep Diaco around? In that scenario I think Edsall was a no-brainer. In hindsight it appears that we may have made a deal with the devil but I can't fault Dave if those were the two options.

Reaction Score
It’s at this point we should realize we aren’t dealing with an adult.

As I said, half of the Original AAC roster are playing in 3 of the 5 autonomy leagues. HALF.

It's in the record books. 5 out of the original 10 teams. It's not like UConn didn't send in their resume those times either.

Attachments

• 4DE59324-8632-45A7-B014-6449FE776E96.jpeg
    4DE59324-8632-45A7-B014-6449FE776E96.jpeg
    666.8 KB · Views: 100
Reaction Score
Cincy, Houston and UCF have already been valued in the league there in. Some here thought the AAC would lose money because UConn left. Now those same networks are going to pay them more because there playing in another league? They need to bring at least $15 mill to the table or the B12 will take a hit with them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom