OT: - Christmas Gift Idea For Older Dude | The Boneyard

OT: Christmas Gift Idea For Older Dude

Reaction Score
Does anyone else struggle with Christmas gift ideas for older dudes. Older people in general. They have everything they seemingly want or need.

Looking for gift ideas for a dude in his early 70s. Sarcastic comments are welcome, but also hoping for legit ideas as well.

Reaction Score
Assuming he is n a cold climate like you, I’d go with a quality warm shirt or jacket. A high quality quilted flannel is a nice option.

Older people often neglect to try new technology. Maybe something lightweight but warm like a Thermoball jacket from Columbia. For a little more money you could get something similar from North Face or Patagonia.

Vests. A good vest is a must in winter. When I’m in New England at this time of year I put on a long sleeve tshirt or button down shirt and pick an appropriate vest. I don’t take it off until bedtime. The vest is highly underrated. So warm, versatile and easy to move around in. I can’t believe I spent the first 25-30 years of my life ignoring this amazing invention.

I’ve been switching over to all battery operated tools and equipment. If he takes care of his yard or likes to fix stuff, a good 80v piece of equipment is nice (leaf blower, chainsaw etc). The Ryobi cordless hand tools, saws etc. at Home Depot are impressive for the price too. Buy something that offers a lot of options for the SAME batteries.

My dad always loves a quality pair of shoes/boots. Something rugged and really comfortable is a hit every time. Get them somewhere he can easily exchange them though. Remember, comfort is critical. We are talking older guys. Something that looks great and is comfortable is the goal. The older guy is less likely to buy something that looks cool. Help him out with that.

Reaction Score
Something related to any hobbies they enjoy. Golf? Can always get more golf balls, etc. Gift certificate to restaurant they enjoy. Are they open to new experiences? Get season tickets to local theater or classical music perhaps. Magazine subscriptions are good because they don't cost much and they come in monthly, say, and each time they remember that you sent the gift. Maybe something with their name on it. Or go out with them somewhere to chat, go for a walk, have coffee or dinner- maybe they are lonely and would enjoy the company. Just spending time with someone is cheapest and maybe the most meaningful gift of all!

Reaction Score
Sliders man, My dad never wore them before, and now won't take them off.

Premium Coffee/Tea is always great.

Detailing or Car Wash Gift Card

Barnes and Noble gift card (if they don't use electronic readers)

Whole Foods Gift Card

Custom Cutting Board:
1668691429370.png

The older the person the more simple the gift. However the simplest gifts are most appreciated and most used. Can't tell you the number of times I brought fancy stuff to see it unused over the years.

My dad is old enough not to remember what he got last Christmas.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Does anyone else struggle with Christmas gift ideas for older dudes. Older people in general. They have everything they seemingly want or need.

Looking for gift ideas for a dude in his early 70s. Sarcastic comments are welcome, but also hoping for legit ideas as well.
Well, I am an older dude per your description. I appreciate all gifts however many were not practical. When you get into older dude status it really is okay. HOWEVER, one xmas my son bought me a pair of indoor/outdoor slippers, lite shoes, what ever you would like to call them. His reasoning for this gift was because we had dogs. Of course I was voted to be the "take the dogs out custodian". So that was his reasoning. That was long ago and I still buy them today. No more dogs. But a great combo shoe. AND, they are no more than $15 and bought a few pairs on sale for $9. Go get the mail, bring out the garbage. It's a winner.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
LOL I've got 2 year old gift cards in my wallet. I keep forgetting to use them.
I have a Outback Gift Card still. Over 25 years. Maybe older. Every time the wife and I would go, we were always seated by screaming babies or kids running around. We would always leave. I called one day and said the card never expires. That's good I may use it when I get buried and have a small get together at Outback. I am sure the babies and kids have grown.

Reaction Score
LOL I've got 2 year old gift cards in my wallet. I keep forgetting to use them.
If I'm being honest, I've lost out on a few too. I never keep them in my wallet though... already too full.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Booze. Assuming they drink it. More generically, many "older dudes" have what they need, but may not be inclined to splurge on nicer things. So get a nicer thing (like really good wine, whiskey) or other thing that's perhaps not the "value" option.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Give him what he wants the most- your time.
4699867.jpg

distant second place. very, very distant.
a sleeve of scratch off lotto tix. and don't cheap out, get the good ones, five bucks each or more.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
eversource and the heating oil folks should sell gift cards.
totally, not kidding.
i mean, it's holiday season where everybody says 'warmest wishes, warmest greetings,' and such to each other.
words, meh. don't say it, just do it.
'here, best of the season to you! have a drum of No. 2 heating oil!'

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score

An "eat", a "wear", a "read", or an "experience".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom