Chief’s Briefs - Villanova Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Villanova Edition

Reaction Score
Our standards are high, so even with a 24 point win against a good team, we see many areas to improve to reach our post season goals. At times, the wrong players taking shots in the wrong spots, yet we still win comfortably.

Karaban shot from any spot not looking good. Again, he needs to drive and cut with pull ups to get his threes going and not the reverse approach. Yet, after going 0-7 he hits a late 3 to send Tristen further into UConn’s Triple Double history.

Thankful for Cam Spencer, the one guy who had his shot going throughout the game tonight. That yielded 25 points. Clingan was also effective tonight and shot a high percentage but we did not go to him enough.

Over-all Newton was great with 16 rebounds 10 points, and 10 assists - a triple double. . Tristen was about winning by filling the boxscore with what the team needed on an off shooting night.

Hassan Diarra was solid shooting 50% and making 2-2 from FT. His defense and uptempo vibe gives us what we need.

I did think on defense Donovan mostly stayed in the paint and impacted shots, which also leads to rebounds. I will give Dixon a few outside shots and get the paint domination.

I like our 91% foul shooting on 22 shots. Good trend for post season. Need to run our offense better and increase FG and 3FG by 5%.

Last edited:

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
It’s a full moon. I am blaming everything that did not go right today on that. Unfortunately tomorrow night will also be considered a full moon.

Last edited:

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
A point I should make is that by Stephon going 6-6 from FT is huge because he is going to get fouled going to the basket in post season.
Steph is a stud. I wish he would just keep on shooting. He is going to get hot one game and make his first three or four of them. Then everything changes. He reaches next level. His defense is incredible. I think I saw Hurley tell him to keep shooting after he missed his second in a row. He is very unselfish. He is like an adult freshman.

Reaction Score
Our standards are high, so even with a 24 point win against a good team, we see many areas to improve to reach our post season goals. At times, the wrong players taking shots in the wrong spots, yet we still win comfortably.

Karaban shot from any spot not looking good. Again, he needs to drive and cut with pull ups to get his threes going and not the reverse approach. Yet, after going 0-7 he hits a late 3 to send Tristen further into UConn’s Triple Double history.

Thankful for Cam Spencer, the one guy who had his shot going throughout the game tonight. That yielded 25 points. Clingan was also effective tonight and shot a high percentage but we did not go to him enough.

Over-all Newton was great with 16 rebounds 10 points, and 10 assists - a triple double. . Tristen was about winning by filling the boxscore with what the team needed on an off shooting night.

Hassan Diarra was solid shooting 50% and making 2-2 from FT. His defense and uptempo vibe gives us what we need.

I did think on defense Donovan mostly stayed in the paint and impacted shots, which also leads to rebounds. I will give Dixon a few outside shots and get the paint domination.

I like our 91% foul shooting on 22 shots. Good trend for post season. Need to run our offense better and increase FG and 3FG by 5%.
Diarra defense was elite on hausen who could not get free for any quality shots. Without hausen they have no quality outside shooting. Nice game planning and execution here.

Reaction Score
I had to laugh. At some point in the 2nd half DC wasin for maybe 2 minutes when Nova was at the free throw line. DC pounded his chest towards DH as if to say take me out. I swear I could read DH's lips saying you just got in.

Reaction Score
I had to laugh. At some point in the 2nd half DC wasin for maybe 2 minutes when Nova was at the free throw line. DC pounded his chest towards DH as if to say take me out. I swear I could read DH's lips saying you just got in.
Was that the foul on DC? He was complaining to the refs that the Nova player threw an elbow into his chest.

More importantly, when he picks up his first foul in the 2nd half, that's good. Their defense was pretty good. When you can keep Dixon out on the perimeter, yes he'll make a couple of 3's, but I'd rather have him shooting out there and staying off the glass.

Reaction Score
Was that the foul on DC? He was complaining to the refs that the Nova player threw an elbow into his chest.

More importantly, when he picks up his first foul in the 2nd half, that's good. Their defense was pretty good. When you can keep Dixon out on the perimeter, yes he'll make a couple of 3's, but I'd rather have him shootingwas out there and staying off the glass.
That could be true. I was just thinking that I believe DC has an asthma issue.

Reaction Score
Didn’t feel like a 20+ point win. Nova missed a lot of open shots that a better team would make

Reaction Score
Didn’t feel like a 20+ point win. Nova missed a lot of open shots that a better team would make
I am currently 10.5 hours away so I am going to watch the full game replay on YouTube. I hope what you are saying is false. Good or great defense means denying open shots and good looks at the basket, not just hoping the other team misses open shots. Because like you said if UConn simply allows open shots game after game one of their opponents will make them pay and could defeat them or worse knock them out of the NCAAT.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score

You’re weird

Reaction Score
If I had to pick ONE key stat that ...killed the kitty...
it was 18 points in transition. Few things dishearten an opponent like US scoring fast on THEM !

Reaction Score

More importantly, when he picks up his first foul in the 2nd half, that's good. Their defense was pretty good. When you can keep Dixon out on the perimeter, yes he'll make a couple of 3's, but I'd rather have him shooting out there and staying off the glass.
He did have a couple of threes, out of like 20 attempts.

Reaction Score

Diara is the best defender on the team. Before the game started, said to the wife that Cam was overdue for a huge game. I’ll take this win despite questionable call after questionable call, and questionable missed call after questionable missed call.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Strengths shown during the game - Castle's defense is absolutely smothering. Great job at getting TOvers and transition baskets. Diara was the sparkplug this team needed. The few minutes that Stewart played, he shows increasing maturity. Thought DC did a really good job in keeping out of foul trouble. Cam scored when UConn needed it the most, his D improved a little bit and his energy was wonderful. Newton got his triple double but again, his defense and decision making, at times, needs to be better.
Opportunities - when did UConn become a shoot the 3 first team? If they don't fall perhaps DH should get his team to start driving the ball. I don't remember AK once last night taking the ball, faking the jumper and driving past his defender to the basket to try and make something happen. The offense in the 1st half was lethargic.
Was great to see Newton's last assist come off a AK three pointer. -How ironic.
Dixon is a stud and will play many years in the NBA.
The game turned out to be a blowout but it didn't feel that way through 75% of the match-up
It was great to rebound from that Creighton beat down but the team needs to rediscover the basics that makes them the best team in the NBE and among the nation's elite.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom