Chief’s Briefs - Oregon Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Oregon Edition

Reaction Score
17 threes and 22 assists show we now have a multi dimensional attack. Add the work Donovan Clingan and Adama Sanogo did in the paint and Adama from 3 and we were tough to defend.

Newton came out strong and carried the team until Joey California got it going too and then Hawkins joined the party. Newton went 5 for 6 from three and Joey 3 for 4 , while Hawkins kept on shooting and was a high volume 5 for 14 from three. Of course, Adama tonight 2-2 is our best % three shooter.

Clngan’s length and his ability to use it on both ends at this level is a good omen of things to come. When Adama goes to the bench this year, we will keep on trucking.

I thought our defense made it difficult for Oregan to run their offense. We got almost all the 50/50 balls and we demonstrated we had a lot of answers this season.

Chief knows the numbers but I go by the eye test. The things that impress me is our ball movement and multiple guys being a threat for three, Donovan’s length, Adama’s strength. Our defense also has the potential to be elite and we are a deep team and at our best, guys know what keeps them on the court.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How Donovan would be against players close to his own size was a question mark until tonight. That kid can really play and he’s not intimidated in the least. That’s unusual for freshman.

Newton was the kid that we all heard about when he committed. I’m very happy for him.
If the team continues to be this hot from deep, teams aren’t going to be able to pack the paint with a zone.

Things looked good tonight. We just need to keep it going as the competition gets tougher.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
What's the deal with Jackson, cheif? He has become beyond frustrating to watch. Seen little to no improvement so far in his decision making or shooting ability. Also was getting blown by on defense.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Guys were all like "Coach isn't talking about Newton much preseason... concerns." Yeah, I think he's laid that to rest this guy is GOOD.

Was happy to see that Hawkins seems to have turned the corner on having a few misses dictate his attitude and game. I think both games he just played he missed the first couple and last year that probably meant he was done - not anymore.

My parents were over and were amazed when I said Clingan is an actual freshman and 18, they figured he had to be an older guy with his size and skill. I get why folks were raving about him.

Reaction Score
I didn’t think Sanogo played strong tonight. Yes two taller guys were on him making it difficult but he was pushed around too easily IMO. Didn’t see the fight on the boards from him in the first half especially.

AJax is frustrating to watch. I love the energy but I wish he had a lower gear.

Really can’t complain about our squad, we are
deep and we play defense. The shooting tonight was great, if we can shoot well on a regular basis from multiple guys and limit our TOs, we are very very tough to beat.

Reaction Score
How Donovan would be against players close to his own size was a question mark until tonight. That kid can really play and he’s not intimidated in the least. That’s unusual for freshman.

Newton was the kid that we all heard about when he committed. I’m very happy for him.
If the team continues to be this hot from deep, teams aren’t going to be able to pack the paint with a zone.

Things looked good tonight. We just need to keep it going as the competition gets tougher.
As much as I liked DC’s game, I didn’t like that he was blocked a few times, and missed a few from close range. Just wish he’d learn to gather himself and just dunk a lot more.

Reaction Score
17 threes and 22 assists show we now have a multi dimensional attack. Add the work Donovan Clingan and Adama Sanogo did in the paint and Adama from 3 and we were tough to defend.

Newton came out strong and carried the team until Joey California got it going too and then Hawkins joined the party. Newton went 5 for 6 from three and Joey 3 for 4 , while Hawkins kept on shooting and was a high volume 5 for 14 from three. Of course, Adama tonight 2-2 is our best % three shooter.

Clngan’s length and his ability to use it on both ends at this level is a good omen of things to come. When Adama goes to the bench this year, we will keep on trucking.

I thought our defense made it difficult for Oregan to run their offense. We got almost all the 50/50 balls and we demonstrated we had a lot of answers this season.

Chief knows the numbers but I go by the eye test. The things that impress me is our ball movement and multiple guys being a threat for three, Donovan’s length, Adama’s strength. Our defense also has the potential to be elite and we are a deep team and at our best, guys know what keeps them on the court.

Reaction Score
This is what impressed me the most to be honest. They were out hustling Oregon for all 40 minutes.
When you do 46% from three, get almost all the 50/50 balls and dominant in the paint - that’s very difficult to beat. Quite frankly, Oregon did not seem ready for our intensity level. It was off the charts.
However, we have played intense defense before which we would match with almost equally ugly shooting. But, the two together (good shooting off good ball movement, and lockdown smothering defense) is very difficult to beat. A word of caution, we need to further validate our shooting.
Hawkins validated his shooting though by shooting through a poor game opening and then getting hot.
Joey California has a beautiful looking stroke. Wow!

Reaction Score
Other statistics prove the intensity point further. We led 9 to 5 in steals, had more blocks (7 to 4) and IConn had 5 times less turnovers).
Today is another day, we will be going up against a better backcourt than Oregon. But, we need to bring these same things to the table.

Reaction Score
As much as I liked DC’s game, I didn’t like that he was blocked a few times, and missed a few from close range. Just wish he’d learn to gather himself and just dunk a lot more.
This was his first real test against college Bigs competition, so there will be things Donovan needs to work on. But, overall he passed the test with flying colors. He caught and dunked some alley oops passes as the defense went toward the penetrator. Guys seemed to have confidence in his hands and instincts to do that.

Reaction Score
What's the deal with Jackson, cheif? He has become beyond frustrating to watch. Seen little to no improvement so far in his decision making or shooting ability. Also was getting blown by on defense.
He’s had surgery on a finger just weeks ago and missed some time. He was like +33 in a recent game while playing. Last night he was second in assists with 5 and contributed 4 rebounds. But, I agree his offense needs to and should improve.
However, the biggest things this team needs from Andre are defensive intensity from multiple positions, rebounding and a push the ball in transition mindset. This isn’t First Night anymore, these will be wars ahead!
I have been very careful to say and reiterate that on this team guys need to know what the team needs from them and deliver that. From Andre, it is the things I mentioned above. I also quite frankly don’t underestimate the importance of his intensity and the contagious nature of it throughout the team. I think some opponents are almost paralyzed by it. In the next two games we will need the intensity more than ever.
Bottom-line, he is a captain of an undefeated team, doing what it takes to win. He will get the rust out.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Jackson needs to settle down, let the game come to him.

Otherwise we looked good.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
DC will be fine - even veteran players miss chippies down low - you can't dunk everything
What impresses me is the fact that he doesn't appear to be in awe at all vs better competition. he is poised beyond his years and it makes me feel at ease when AS has to have a breather and when they play together. His ability to pass out of the post is exceptional (AS needs to observe)
Hawk is still young and will be uneven at times. I had to smirk last night when folks were saying in the chat that he can't take it to the hoop. Nothing could be farther from the truth. CP3 stated that what impressed him about Hawk, besides his outside shooting, was his driving ability and his quick rise to the hoop. Hawk needs to learn how to relax at the start of the game - you can tell he is anxious. I feel he should try to head to the hoop early to get to the foul line and feel the ball go through the hoop. I think that might help him avert slow starts, His D is wonderful to watch.
Newton was a force in the 1st half - don't know why Oregon left him wide open consistently.
Ajax is an athlete. At this point he still hasn't developed into a basketball player. He should think of running track! His desire is great but it also is his worst enemy most of the time.
Joey C can flat out shoot and that is needed. His man to man D is weak but he has a nose for the loose ball. Appears to be a good pick up by DH
Oregon was depleted and Bama won't be. If UConn can play at this same level it will be a great match-up.

Reaction Score

Tonight, Alabama will probably bring some serious game pressure which our guys really haven't faced yet. It should be a good test. Alabama's Coach Oates may now have more big game experience (and success) than Hurley. Hopefully our coach and players continue to grow and carry on with self control. While Clingan indicates he's benefitted from practicing against Sanogo, Adama may be benefitting as well from practicing daily against Donovan and his length. Sanogo has had some problems with long centers; his two games last year against the Creighton guy come to mind. He started slowly last night and dealt with potential foul trouble against Oregon, but continued to play smart and hard to help the team. How tall is Sanogo really? Maybe it's because of his impressive bulk, but to me, he looks like a short 6'9" against 7 footers.

Last night, Karaben appeared to put aside his scoring to focus on defense and rebounding to help neutralize Oregon's bigs. Hawkins appears to be more resilient and mature, keeping his emotions under control. Jackson brings toughness, constant energy and leadership. His shooting mechanics appear to have speeded up, but are still not optimal; some unneeded wrist action?

Reaction Score
It's like he can't reel himself in a little bit and play good basketball.

Reaction Score
Tonight, Alabama will probably bring some serious game pressure which our guys really haven't faced yet. It should be a good test. Alabama's Coach Oates may now have more big game experience (and success) than Hurley. Hopefully our coach and players continue to grow and carry on with self control. While Clingan indicates he's benefitted from practicing against Sanogo, Adama may be benefitting as well from practicing daily against Donovan and his length. Sanogo has had some problems with long centers; his two games last year against the Creighton guy come to mind. He started slowly last night and dealt with potential foul trouble against Oregon, but continued to play smart and hard to help the team. How tall is Sanogo really? Maybe it's because of his impressive bulk, but to me, he looks like a short 6'9" against 7 footers.

Last night, Karaben appeared to put aside his scoring to focus on defense and rebounding to help neutralize Oregon's bigs. Hawkins appears to be more resilient and mature, keeping his emotions under control. Jackson brings toughness, constant energy and leadership. His shooting mechanics appear to have speeded up, but are still not optimal; some unneeded wrist action?
Good analysis.

Reaction Score
DC will be fine - even veteran players miss chippies down low - you can't dunk everything
What impresses me is the fact that he doesn't appear to be in awe at all vs better competition. he is poised beyond his years and it makes me feel at ease when AS has to have a breather and when they play together. His ability to pass out of the post is exceptional (AS needs to observe)
Hawk is still young and will be uneven at times. I had to smirk last night when folks were saying in the chat that he can't take it to the hoop. Nothing could be farther from the truth. CP3 stated that what impressed him about Hawk, besides his outside shooting, was his driving ability and his quick rise to the hoop. Hawk needs to learn how to relax at the start of the game - you can tell he is anxious. I feel he should try to head to the hoop early to get to the foul line and feel the ball go through the hoop. I think that might help him avert slow starts, His D is wonderful to watch.
Newton was a force in the 1st half - don't know why Oregon left him wide open consistently.
Ajax is an athlete. At this point he still hasn't developed into a basketball player. He should think of running track! His desire is great but it also is his worst enemy most of the time.
Joey C can flat out shoot and that is needed. His man to man D is weak but he has a nose for the loose ball. Appears to be a good pick up by DH
Oregon was depleted and Bama won't be. If UConn can play at this same level it will be a great match-up.
Agree with most of your observations. Donovan certainly looked like he belonged last night and played poised. I think both Hawkins and Joey C are better defenders than I gave them credit for earlier in the summer. I am going to give AJax some time to recover from surgery and the resulting rust before I make judgements. I love his intensity and think he can provide the things this year’s team needs from him, which may be different than what last year’s team needed. We have 3 ball guys this year. Defending with intensity at multiple positions is so important in Hurley’s system as is passing and rebounding. Andre can help in those areas. It he can give us those things plus some points, I would be happy. If Andre keeps the ball moving efficiently with purpose, it will help the team score points. I agree with those who say he should patiently let his offense come.
I also agree that passing out of the post and silly fouls are the two remaining major improvement areas for Adama.
Hawkins just needs to get stronger and gain experience/confidence. He can give us quite a few dimensions. .

Reaction Score
DHs decision making has actually regressed. Hoping it's more rust and being behind on building chemistry with new teammates instead of a trend for the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
I like how Hawkins is totally in synch with the rest of the team. I was a bit worried he might have a lone wolf streak in him with all the preseason build up.

Hawkins defense has been an upside surprise too. Not that his defense was bad, but he’s been making a few really stellar defensive plays.

The thing I'm most impressed with of Hawkins is how much he isn't forcing it. Last season, as soon as he touched the ball he would immediately drop it, pass it, or do a 1 dribble pullup jumper. This year, he looks for the shot first (which is good) and lets it fly if it's there. If it's not here, he quickly surveys the court, swings it, and gets back into the offense. Really disciplined offense despite the low FG%.

Defensively he's been an animal. Lockdown perimeter defense and is actually #2 on the team in blocks per game. Tied for #3 in total blocks even though he missed 2 games

Reaction Score
The thing I'm most impressed with of Hawkins is how much he isn't forcing it. Last season, as soon as he touched the ball he would immediately drop it, pass it, or do a 1 dribble pullup jumper. This year, he looks for the shot first (which is good) and lets it fly if it's there. If it's not here, he quickly surveys the court, swings it, and gets back into the offense. Really disciplined offense despite the low FG%.

Defensively he's been an animal. Lockdown perimeter defense and is actually #2 on the team in blocks per game. Tied for #3 in total blocks even though he missed 2 games
One subtle part of Hawk's evolution over last year (maturity).. Is that he's sharing the ball --Being a good teammate. His freshman year-perhaps influenced by upperclassman.. He was frequently open and never saw the ball. What I'm tryin' to say.. By sharing the ball-- He's playing with guys that will return the ball to him in his spots. He will make more than his fair share of shots.. Too good of a shooter.

BTW.. He's showing some talent at feeding the big guys..Never saw that last year. Good for him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom