Chief’s Briefs - Marquette Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Marquette Edition

Reaction Score
A 25 point win against #4. Electric crowd @ the XL Center. Had the feeling of watching a Championship caliber team.

We started out running good cuts on offense
and then with Diarra’s insertion our defense picked up as everyone increased their intensity level.

We had 18 more rebounds than Marquette and 15 more assists. Those statistics matter.

Clingan, Newton and Spencer filling the boxscore, also had good games. Stewart again showed signs that he can be a very good player.

As good as our offense is half court when we play lockdown defense as we did late in the first half that turbo charges our offense.

It is always great to see the former players come back and Andre Jackson, AJ and Emeka came back today !

Alex did not have his best shooting game today, but it had zero impact on the other aspects of his game. A sign of a poise, professional player.

I like how Tristen uses his body to protect the ball and uses his body as leverage to get loose balls. A skill casual fans may not appreciate but it help us win.

Donovan when he fully bends his knees almost always makes his foul shots. Once he settles into a foul line routine he will be a good foul shooter. I thought today he also went for less shot upfakes, a good sign.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You think Danny and his crew watched the tape from the game against them in the Big East Tournament last year? Our defense was so bad that we were forced to go 1-3-1 for most of the 2nd half. Today our defense was fantastic. Kolek had nowhere to go when he turned the corner. Even against this great offense Clingan absolutely owned the paint.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Donovan makes it almost impossible for teams to get layups at the rim. I don’t see how this team can be beaten.

Both Creighton and Marquette failed to score 55 on us. No team in conference has scored more than 65 since Clingan has been back in the lineup.

Absolutely elite defensive team we are watching.

This team in general is just built to absolutely wear you down on both ends from making it impossible to get easy points while keeping you constantly moving on defense. Marquette was absolutely shook today.

Reaction Score
This team has that killer instinct. Its a group of assassins not just one hitman either. Impressively the team doesn't need a spark or a fantastic play to slay opponents, we just painfully stab them to death using daggers, with different players able to enjoy each thrust. We use daggers throughout the game and not just in crunch time.

We've had teams that established that instinct but no team I can recall had it in January. Oh and all players have it, evidenced by the way they dive after loose balls, challenge all drives, and contest all shots with a 20+ point lead!

Its that killer instinct along with not being satisfied (i.e. hungry) will but fear in every opponent going forward. I see no other team possessing what we have.

UConn fans can see that the team is Hurley's Huskies 100%.

Reaction Score
Three things that stood out to me.
1. Kolek was shut down. He dictates how Marquette plays.
2. DC staying out of foul trouble. He disrupts the other teams offense.
3. Unselfish team - I believe we had 24 assists.

Reaction Score
Pure class from kolek and the guys. Coaches respect each other. Great look for the league. 2 of the best teams 2 of the best coaches 2 of the best guards in the country. (Or should I say 4 of the best)

Reaction Score
Imagine if Karaban had a good shooting game.

I said it about last years team, but the advantage of depth is having more bullets chambered than the other team. This team literally has 9 guys who could go for double digits on any given night and what's even more impressive is that they can do it in different ways, but within the offense.

An old adage in basketball is that good defense can create good offense. It seems like with this team at time that the way the grind teams on the offensive end can help their defense as well. Kolek looked tired and beaten with a few minutes left in the first half. I do respect how he continued to compete, though.

This team reminds me of a few of the great women's team that Geno has had. The way they share the ball, play both ends and are willing to not rely just on talent, but they will outwork you. I think this becoming part of Hurley's teams calling card.

Reaction Score
This team reminds me of a few of the great women's team that Geno has had. The way they share the ball, play both ends and are willing to not rely just on talent, but they will outwork you. I think this becoming part of Hurley's teams calling card.
I think that's always been Dan's intention for every team he's coached.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom