Chief’s Briefs - Kansas Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Kansas Edition

Reaction Score
Kansas came out strong both on defense and offense. UConn offensive spacing was poor. But then, Kansas meet Mr Newton and his 31 points.

We took Kansas best shot and injuries have started to accumulate for us. We took the lead but Kansas hit threes late and beat us in an exciting game.

McCullar hurt us towards the end with his shooting. We continually loss him defensively despite all the shots he made. It is tough to win when you shoot 53% from the foul line and 9% less on FG’s than your opponent.
We need Karaban to break out of his mini slump and I think he will. Diarra is getting good minutes and good play but sometimes needs to give it up to a shooter with less dribbling with the game on the line.

Looking forward to getting Castle back if he is 100% ready to go. Taking Kansas to the wire on the road with one of our best players out is something we can built on.

Reaction Score
Karaban needs to wake up from his slumber. Expected way more from him tonight.
I wonder if that hand is a bigger injury than we realize. Starting to feel like the Women’s team with all the injuries. Maybe Hurley needs to take his foot off the gas at practice ? lol that’s not happening.

Reaction Score
I was just surprised how flat they came out at the beginning and how they made a bunch of coverage mistakes that Dan Hurley coached teams usually just don't make.

Reaction Score
Kansas came out strong both on defense and offense. UConn offensive spacing was poor. But then, Kansas meet Mr Newton and his 31 points.

We took Kansas best shot and injuries have started to accumulate for us. We took the lead but Kansas hit threes late and beat us in an exciting game.

McCullar hurt us towards the end with his shooting. We continually loss him defensively despite all the shots he made. It is tough to win when you shoot 53% from the foul line and 9% less on FG’s than your opponent.
We need Karaban to break out of his mini slump and I think he will. Diarra is getting good minutes and good play but sometimes needs to give it up to a shooter with less dribbling with the game on the line.

Looking forward to getting Castle back if he is 100% ready to go. Taking Kansas to the wire on the road with one of our best players out is something we can built on.

You missed the most important thing Chief. The switch to the two big line up late in the game resulted in a 11-0 Kansas run that decided the ball game. We were leading when it was done. It killed our offense.

Yeah, the first ten minutes hurt us. And Spenser's 2-12 (or whatever it was) didn't help. But the two bigs was the key to final result.

Reaction Score
Hell of a game. Love that the UConn brand is back. Had quite a few things against us tonight- No Castle, Cam Injury, playing at the Phog. All that and yet still we had a fantastic chance to win. Kansas is obviously very good, but I think it's much better to say at the end of the game that the story is about you and not necessarily about what Kansas did. If UConn hits it's free throws it's probably a different result.

That's much more favorable alternative than saying Kansas is just better than us. They aren't, and this team has an extremely high ceiling and will only get better.

Reaction Score
we meet them in March and we win. There are many factors you can point to for reasons why we lost tonight. All of them fixable. That is the most hostile environment anyone on this squad has ever faced...while being hobbled...and without our best NBA prospect. The only thing I would've changed would be the last shot by spencer. I wanted newton to go full kemba/shabazz and break his man down on the dribble and drain a game winner. I can live with this result.

ATTN: Kansas Jayhawks... LETS DO THIS MORE OFTEN!!!

Reaction Score
1. TN has opened up some eyes from a national perspective. He had the will and grit.
2. I love CS's toughness. He was playing hurt and did not want to be taken out.
3. AK is in a 2 game slump. He will bounce back. One thing I don't like from him is his antics after some of the foul calls. Whether they are good calls or not, he needs to brush it off.
4. SC please come back soon. So much pressure will be taken off TN and CS.
5. Our first true road game this year. They fought back from a subpar first half. Allen Field House is a tough place for any opponent to play in.

On to the next game.

Reaction Score

Karaban not being himself and clingan still with stamina issues certainly didn’t help.

But when the 30% 3 point shooter hits clutch shot after clutch shot and the 25% free throw shooter hits 6 of 10….little bit of luck on their side tonight

Kansas shot 50% from the field, 64% from 3…..they can’t play any better than they did…….and were a couple of inches from LOSING the game on a hobbled Spencer 3

uconn is VERY GOOD

Reaction Score
You missed the most important thing Chief. The switch to the two big line up late in the game resulted in a 11-0 Kansas run that decided the ball game. We were leading when it was done. It killed our offense.

Yeah, the first ten minutes hurt us. And Spenser's 2-12 (or whatever it was) didn't help. But the two bigs was the key to final result.
Very good point. I think DH was trying to protect AK from fouling out even though it eventually happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Not to mention Spencer and Clingan Both playing on one foot. If we hit our FTs we win this game. If it’s a neutral floor and we’re fully healthy then forget about it.

Reaction Score
Karaban has become a focus of the opposing defense this year. He wasn’t considered a primary threat like he is this year. They were just lucky that Cam shot like he did.

Reaction Score
53.3% free throws.
Dc Comics Joker GIF by Max

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Alex is struggling a bit. We need him to level up from where he was last year, which was the 4th option on offense, take the open 3,dr drive the open lane, make the smart pass. It's hard to take that next step. He'll get there, but right now he looks a little unsure out there.

Ultimately I think we're the better team. I'm not one for moral losses, but we'll be just fine (as long as Cam and Donovan are OK).

Reaction Score

The two bigs together may have coincided with the 11-0 run, but did it cause it? Need some shooters besides Newton in there to help the bigs out. Agree that we need to develop Ross and Stewart/ Solo had some minutes, but did he ever drive into the lane?

Reaction Score
Karaban needs to wake up from his slumber. Expected way more from him tonight.
I just think that Adams was a nightmare matchup for him on our offensive end. Adams used his advantages in athleticism to negate a lot of what Alex can do. He was quick enough to stick close to him on the perimeter to limit his three looks. That same quickness helped him stay in front of Alex when he tried to drive. And he was strong enough to challenge him on the rare occasions when Alex received the ball down low. Not too many guys can do all of that on the defensive end or will give that level of effort to do it.

Reaction Score
It’s not ideal to have your second ball handler be Cam Spencer.

A 6’6 top ten pick would have paid dividends tonight.

Karaban got in a mini groove at the end before he fouled out. Resembled the Texas game, but I just don’t understand why it takes that long. It felt like he went possessions without touching the ball.

The only thing I miss the most I wish Hurley would do more of that Calhoun would do is inbounding the ball quick off makes. His teams used to get layups off makes with how quick they get up the floor.

UConn got nothing easy tonight. Live and learn. Go huskies!

Reaction Score
Hell of a game. Love that the UConn brand is back. Had quite a few things against us tonight- No Castle, Cam Injury, playing at the Phog. All that and yet still we had a fantastic chance to win. Kansas is obviously very good, but I think it's much better to say at the end of the game that the story is about you and not necessarily about what Kansas did. If UConn hits it's free throws it's probably a different result.

That's much more favorable alternative than saying Kansas is just better than us. They aren't, and this team has an extremely high ceiling and will only get better.
We need something more from the bench........meaning the freshmen who we thought would be important and still could be.

Reaction Score
Very good point. I think DH was trying to protect AK from fouling out even though it eventually happened.
If Stewart had shown more to date he could have played some of those minutes for AK. He's supposed to be a good offensive player but maybe he's not ready or his defense isn't what we need. Let's hope he and Ross start showing something and Ball gets more aggressive.

Reaction Score
I don’t like our 7’2” center setting screens at the top of the key on almost every off set. Last game it was feed the big dog down low, this game we just seemed reluctant to give him the ball.
I would have liked to have challenged Dickinson on the low box and DC has shown some ability to kick out when defended.
Very winnable game, great effort.
Short bench hurt

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01