Chief’s Briefs - Florida Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Florida Edition

Reaction Score
When your top two guys off the bench give you a combine 75% shooting (12/16) for 27 points over 39 minutes, you know you have a lot of answers. Donovan Clingan and Joey California did that tonight.

Couple that with solid starter minutes from our Big Three (Sanogo, Hawkins & Jackson) and good defense against poor shooting and we got yet another 20 point type win against a big name school.

A weakness tonight was the realization that we sometimes lack a traditional point guard. Newton had 3 assist but 5 turnovers and nor did he give us much scoring. However, the assists by committee seem to work with Jackson (4 assists, 0 to’s ), Hawkins (3 assists) and Diarra/Joey C (4 assists combined). Compare our 16 assists and 52% shooting against FL paltry 6 assists and 30% shooting and one realizes overall we got the ball to where it needed to go. We also defended. 89% foul shooting is part of a winning formula too.

Sanogo though continue not to have the inside out passing identification that we would like him to have. As Adama had 1 assist and 3 turnovers.

Three positional strengths are clear with this team:
1) Regardless of whatever you want to call Sanogo for draft reasons, with Sanogo and Clingan, we have the top center position in the country. Tonight we had 33 points (72% FG%) , 15 rebounds and 4 blocks combined. In my World that’s huge, no matter how trendy it is to have how many guys play outside. Dominating the paint still wins games!!!

2) Hawkins, Joey C, Newton and Karaban give us either the 3 point threat or production that we have needed to keep defenses honest.

3) Andre Jackson - What do I have to do tonight for us to win? Tonight it was dominant defense FL (30% FG), good ball movement/security (4 assists, 0 turnovers) and even 2 for 5. (40%) from the 3 line. Then who tied tonight for being our top rebounder? Andre Jackson at 8 rebounds.

Going 10-0 tonight on 12/7 and having played and won our top 5 out of conference games, it is clearly time to celebrate our good fortunate as fans following such a unique and successful team. More on that later today.
Good night.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nice game summary Chief. Agree regarding your point about our big man play. Is this the best 1-2 punch we’ve ever had out of the five? Emeka was an amazing dominant player, but the combination of Sanogo and Clingan is inventing and so hard to defend. I have to believe that banging away against each other at practice is making each of them into Into better players.

Jackson going 2-5 from deep is so impactful. How often have we said the Jackson just needs to be good enough from three to force people to guard him. He delivered that last night. His athleticism and court vision allows him to impact the game without scoring, but hitting the open three makes people guard him out to the line, opening up the paint. I love to see him drive by defenders and take it to the hole more.

This x x is a fun team to watch. As long as they keep up the same intensity and focus we are going to be incredibly tough to beat.

Reaction Score
Nice game summary Chief. Agree regarding your point about our big man play. Is this the best 1-2 punch we’ve ever had out of the five? Emeka was an amazing dominant player, but the combination of Sanogo and Clingan is inventing and so hard to defend. I have to believe that banging away against each other at practice is making each of them into Into better players.

Jackson going 2-5 from deep is so impactful. How often have we said the Jackson just needs to be good enough from three to force people to guard him. He delivered that last night. His athleticism and court vision allows him to impact the game without scoring, but hitting the open three makes people guard him out to the line, opening up the paint. I love to see him drive by defenders and take it to the hole more.

This x x is a fun team to watch. As long as they keep up the same intensity and focus we are going to be incredibly tough to beat.
Thanks and it is an amazing 1-2 Bigs torture chamber down low. Sometimes people don’t fully appreciate the wind it takes out of the opponents sails. Yes, Andre dails up winning. Having zero turnovers and his 2 threes shows he’s working at areas he needs to improve in.

Reaction Score
Given our depth at 2 through 5, we are able to mask our deficiencies at the 1 so far. I believe TN will have more good days than bad. HD has the dawg in him but drives me crazy with his decision making at times. AJ is a quality filler who can run the 1. Waiting for AJ to attack the rim and put down a thunderous dunk. Maybe his early season injury makes him hesitate. JC is a great pick up. He seems to be having a lot of fun out there. I am beginning to wonder if NA fits with this team's chemistry. When SJ is healthy I see him as #10 in the rotation.

Reaction Score
Given our depth at 2 through 5, we are able to mask our deficiencies at the 1 so far. I believe TN will have more good days than bad. HD has the dawg in him but drives me crazy with his decision making at times. AJ is a quality filler who can run the 1. Waiting for AJ to attack the rim and put down a thunderous dunk. Maybe his early season injury makes him hesitate. JC is a great pick up. He seems to be having a lot of fun out there. I am beginning to wonder if NA fits with this team's chemistry. When SJ is healthy I see him as #10 in the rotation.
I think Joey C may be even more of an answer than we think, given our paint domination, which lessens the downside to opponent’s posting him.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
The 15 TOs need to be cut, but it is tough to complain about much when they still win by 21. They completely controlled Florida from the tip and the game was never in question.

The only other negative I saw last night was the amount of times Jimmy Dykes said "ball." Definitely a good showing by the team when I start to take note of what the announcers are saying.

Reaction Score
It really shows how Clingan is making Sanogo better, especially against taller Centers. Its a luxury for Sanogo to have a Unit to work his post moves on as well as defense. Just saying Sanogo will not be intimidated by size and it showed last night. He was dancing so much with the ball that Castleton was perpetually stuck in mud.

Of course Sanogo got Clingan D1 ready in less than half a season. I don't believe Clingan walked on campus D1 ready. This is really a remarkable situation we have and we are absolute nightmare for opponents to prepare for.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
Good recap @Chief00 . A couple quick things to point out. I typically down make a big deal about the refs but there were so many ticky tack fouls last night. The refs did not help at all. The other point was the lack of replays of those fouls during the broadcast was ridiculous. So many times I wanted a second look at the foul calls and they never showed them.

With Sanago and Clingan on this team, the center position never get hurt by foul trouble - that’s huge and will be an asset all season!

Reaction Score
Sanogo though continue not to have the inside out passing identification that we would like him to have. As Adama had 1 assist and 3 turnovers.
Even that one kick out assist to Joey took him WAY too long, I was screaming at the TV. Joey had to have been wide open for like five seconds before Adama passed it out, and I can't believe he didn't see him well before that. The only reason he stayed open that long is because teams know he's a black hole once he gets the ball.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

What a luxury. "oh no Sanogo to the bench with foul trouble" "oh never mind, here comes Donovan' You can so that with other players also. When your big man goes out it use to be "gasp". Now,, no biggy.

Reaction Score
My high quality concern with this team is that they are crushing opponents right now and they have not had to play a highly competitive game to prepare them for a deep run in the NCAA tournament. Maybe they are so good I shouldn't have to worry, but i would like to see the team compete in a close game to get the team ready. If the game is on the line late, who is on the court? Who takes the shot?

Reaction Score
When your top two guys off the bench give you a combine 75% shooting (12/16) for 27 points over 39 minutes, you know you have a lot of answers. Donovan Clingan and Joey California did that tonight.

Couple that with solid starter minutes from our Big Three (Sanogo, Hawkins & Jackson) and good defense against poor shooting and we got yet another 20 point type win against a big name school.

A weakness tonight was the realization that we sometimes lack a traditional point guard. Newton had 3 assist but 5 turnovers and nor did he give us much scoring. However, the assists by committee seem to work with Jackson (4 assists, 0 to’s ), Hawkins (3 assists) and Diarra/Joey C (4 assists combined). Compare our 16 assists and 52% shooting against FL paltry 6 assists and 30% shooting and one realizes overall we got the ball to where it needed to go. We also defended. 89% foul shooting is part of a winning formula too.

Three positional strengths are clear with this team:
1) Regardless of whatever you want to call Sanogo for draft reasons, with Sanogo and Clingan, we have the top center position in the country. Tonight we had 33 points (72% FG%) , 15 rebounds and 4 blocks combined. In my World that’s huge, no matter how trendy it is to have how many guys play outside. Dominating the paint still wins games!!!

2) Hawkins, Joey C, Newton and Karaban give us either the 3 point threat or production that we have needed to keep defenses honest.

3) Andre Jackson - What do I have to do tonight for us to win? Tonight it was dominant defense FL (30% FG), good ball movement/security (4 assists, 0 turnovers) and even 2 for 5. (40%) from the 3 line. Then who tied tonight for being our top rebounder? Andre Jackson at 8 rebounds.

Going 10-0 tonight on 12/7 and having played and won our top 5 out of conference games, it is clearly time to celebrate our good fortunate as fans following such a unique and successful team. More on that later today.
Good night.
Not a good game by Newton, starting to get worried a bit when he gets the ball. I like what you said though, maybe it’s PG by committee

But if we start falling behind a bit and start playing nervous, who’s the PG who's going to settle the team and help deliver that pass. I would say Action Jackson. Certainly not giving up on Newton, it may take a little time to get used to the speed of these opponents. It took Cole a bit of time. Newtons has the skill set. Winning fixes everything.

Reaction Score
Even that one kick out assist to Joey took him WAY too long, I was screaming at the TV. Joey had to have been wide open for like five seconds before Adama passed it out, and I can't believe he didn't see him well before that. The only reason he stayed open that long is because teams know he's a black hole once he gets the ball.
He was not being doubled on that play. It seemed to me that Fla decided to let Castleton take him Mano a Mano and shut down the 3 point shots. Joey was open, but I don't remember seeing how close his defender was. Let's hope AS works toward more of that. I'll bet that is a subject visited in every practice.

Reaction Score
My high quality concern with this team is that they are crushing opponents right now and they have not had to play a highly competitive game to prepare them for a deep run in the NCAA tournament. Maybe they are so good I shouldn't have to worry, but i would like to see the team compete in a close game to get the team ready. If the game is on the line late, who is on the court? Who takes the shot?
That's the crazy part... when we get into a situation where we need a bucket late, we can put 5 guys on the floor that can take that last shot. Most teams have two guys that you have to worry about in that situation.

Reaction Score
So now they're winning by too much? This board really will find something to complain about no matter what

Reaction Score
I’m hoping Johnson comes back from his injury sooner than later because we need more depth in the front court. Karaban, Sanogo and Clingan each picked up 2 fouls in the first half.
Donovan was inserted back in with 1 foul after Adama picked up his second foul with 5 or 6 minutes remaining in the half. He proceeded to pick up his second foul within a minute and remained in the game. Luckily, Donovan did not pick up a third foul before the half ended.

With league play coming up there will be tough, physical games where we need another big to give up fouls and spell Adama and Donovan.

Reaction Score
My high quality concern with this team is that they are crushing opponents right now and they have not had to play a highly competitive game to prepare them for a deep run in the NCAA tournament.
The team has been challenged. Remember the Alabama game was tied with 8.5 minutes after the Tide made a comeback. Then we outscored them 30-15 the rest of the way

I agree with the poster above that we could ask anyone to step up offensively in a close game. But the Defense is a constant that will almost always give this team the advantage down the stretch

Reaction Score
I think Joey C may be even more of an answer than we think, given our paint domination, which lessens the downside to opponent’s posting him.
I agree 100%. Getting the ball to Sanogo down low should be easier. The other team has to help because nobody can stop him 1 on 1. If Hawkins and Joey were on the perimeter on his side, when the help comes, he kicks it out for wide open threes. Pick your poison.

Reaction Score

The Okafor / Boone 1-2 combo so far were the best shot blocking combination the Huskies have had - and both could score too, but I agree that the Sanago / Clingan is already impressive and so early in the season too. I imagine that they play each other in practice which builds both of their skills and awareness up - what a luxury!

Reaction Score
I agree 100%. Getting the ball to Sanogo down low should be easier. The other team has to help because nobody can stop him 1 on 1. If Hawkins and Joey were on the perimeter on his side, when the help comes, he kicks it out for wide open threes. Pick your poison.
The key this year is if Adama has the recognition to pass the ball out to the shooter, while the double is coming but hasn’t arrived yet.

Reaction Score
The team has been challenged. Remember the Alabama game was tied with 8.5 minutes after the Tide made a comeback. Then we outscored them 30-15 the rest of the way

I agree with the poster above that we could ask anyone to step up offensively in a close game. But the Defense is a constant that will almost always give this team the advantage down the stretch
With the defensive depth, we won’t have to call off the dogs, if one guy gets in foul trouble. Still though got to avoid foolish fouls.

Reaction Score
A weakness tonight was the realization that we sometimes lack a traditional point guard. Newton had 3 assist but 5 turnovers and nor did he give us much scoring.

I think we are seeing the evolution of AJ becoming our point guard.

Not a good game by Newton, starting to get worried a bit when he gets the ball. I like what you said though, maybe it’s PG by committee

But if we start falling behind a bit and start playing nervous, who’s the PG who's going to settle the team and help deliver that pass. I would say Action Jackson. Certainly not giving up on Newton, it may take a little time to get used to the speed of these opponents. It took Cole a bit of time. Newtons has the skill set. Winning fixes everything.
If we look through the lense that Andre is our PG, there really isn't a flaw on this team. Netwon had a rough game -- I actually thought he'd step up like the Oregon game (I view the Ducks and Gators as very similar teams) but it was Joey C the one that stepped up instead (I told friends we needed 12-15 points from one of our guards not Hawk, and Joey C was the man last night). As someone pointed out in another thread, really just need Jackson to get to the rim more -- fine with the 2/5 shooting from 3, but dude needs to be able to score at the hoop to really unlock his game -- because as soon as he starts being able to do that, he'll have the easiest assists of his life to Adama/Cling. Some of his passes last night were NBA quality (not that it's anything new).

There is still a role for Newton on this team -- I think we should take the main distributor role off his plate and let him concetrate on scoring by getting to the hoop and drawing FTs, his biggest strength. If you take a look at the successful UConn teams in the past, Newton could thrive as Bazz to Andre's Kemba or Boat to Andre's Bazz or even Vital to Andre's Gilbert. He can still be a secondary distributor, but the offense needs to run through Andre (which it pretty much is).

Another thing I wanted to chat about was Karaban. Obviously tough game for him with the fouls -- and it's a real shame we don't have Samson (who was still in a boot as of the OK St game btw). Defensively, you are seeing him get exposed against physical teams. Which is normal for most freshman not named Donovan Clingan. (And also like DC he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt as a freshman and gets a lot of meh fouls called on him that in 2 years refs won't call on him. You see this in the NBA with young players and it's just part of officiating in general, baseball too with balls and strikes). Another downside is that he offers pretty limited rim protection, so when paired with Sanogo teams have pretty much a free path to the hoop (which is masked by our elite perimeter D most of the time because guys can't even get to the rim). I think the original gameplan coming into the season of Samson/Adama and Alex/Donovan would be perfect offensive and defensive compliments to each other. If Samson is healthy and able to contribute, it will make us that much more elite on D as he can rim run for Sanogo on D and still stretch the floor on O. When AK is with DC, you have a 7-2 wall if you get beat by your defender.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom