OT: - Celtics diss Ray Allen | The Boneyard

OT: Celtics diss Ray Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Eh. Ray had a great run, but they have a lot of players ahead of him in line to have their number retired. That would have been true even if he had finished out his career there. When he spurned them for their biggest rival at the time, it pretty much sealed his fate on that front. If it were Sacramento or something, then sure, it would be petty. But the Celtics have won 17 championships.

Reaction Score
No diss in my opinion. How many years did Ray play in Boston. Numbers get retired wat too easily.

Reaction Score
He played five years there and then pissed them off in leaving... Why is this a diss? Man, people get their panties in such a bunch over Ray and the C's. Who cares? Ray certainly doesn't. Ray does not deserve to have jersey retired. Teams do it far too frequently and for the wrong reasons. I'm a Yankee fan, the absolute worst example of jersey retirers. I feel like every week or two there's a freaking plaque being given out or some sort of honor so that Steiner can sell some worthless merch to idiots.

Reaction Score
Eh. Ray had a great run, but they have a lot of players ahead of him in line to have their number retired.
Who

Dude was a cornerstone piece in the team that won Boston its only championship since 1986.

Reaction Score
This is Brad Stevens throwing shade at UConn for 2011...

Ray's resume speaks for itself - retiring numbers means nothing now.

Reaction Score
Who

Dude was a cornerstone piece in the team that won Boston its only championship since 1986.

He was the 3rd best player on a title team that had a relatively short run without a particularly high peak. His role over the last 2 or so years on the Celts had been diminished as well.

Celts had him for the very tail end of his prime and a few of his decline years. Ray didn't have the longevity of Pierce, nor was he an MVP caliber top 5 player like KG was during their title year, he didn't deserve to have his number retired.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
He was the 3rd best player on a title team that had a relatively short run without a particularly high peak. His role over the last 2 or so years on the Celts had been diminished as well.

Celts had him for the very tail end of his prime and a few of his decline years. Ray didn't have the longevity of Pierce, nor was he an MVP caliber top 5 player like KG was during their title year, he didn't deserve to have his number retired.

I'd say being the best team since Jordan's 96 bulls is a pretty good peak.

Let's never speak of the embarrassment that was game 7 in 2010 and the nbas either corruption or gross incompetence costing them a slam dunk legacy beyond what I mentioned before.

Reaction Score

Ray Allen didn't have the longevity of Paul Pierce?

Reaction Score
Who cares, Ray shouldn't have his number retired for the Celtics fine but he should be invited back to there in some sort of ceremony. If Ray doesn't join the Celtics KG doesn't join them, Paul Pierce might have left. So Ray leaves the Sonics to join the Celtics (yes I know it was a trade Ray did have to agree on it), but when he leaves to join another team its an issue? At the time its understandable to be upset but I think its time to get over it, if Paul Pierce left to join the Heat it would be one thing, Ray was a Celtic for 5 years.

the Q

Reaction Score
Ray Allen didn't have the longevity of Paul Pierce?

not with the Celtics, which is all that really matters in this discussion.

Ray Allen is a slam dunk HOFer, but he only played 5 years in Boston.

Reaction Score
I'd say being the best team since Jordan's 96 bulls is a pretty good peak.

Let's never speak of the embarrassment that was game 7 in 2010 and the nbas either corruption or gross incompetence costing them a slam dunk legacy beyond what I mentioned before.

I agree with you about 2010 but the team also had no answer for Pau that entire series either. The best team thing is totally subjective, even assuming you're not counting teams that came after like GSW, most people would probably still say the Shaq/Kobe Lakers I'd imagine. Still subjective though.

the Q

Reaction Score
I agree with you about 2010 but the team also had no answer for Pau that entire series either. The best team thing is totally subjective, even assuming you're not counting teams that came after like GSW, most people would probably still say the Shaq/Kobe Lakers I'd imagine. Still subjective though.

Even if you say one of the best teams (no I wasn't counting gs, just since 08 for timeline). It's a pretty good peak.

I disagree, Perkins did a great job on gasol when he was on him. But that wasn't enough because Bynum was on the floor a lot too. And gasols "rebounding" in game 7 included shovin Garnett in the back on the first shot of the game literally punching rondo in the face with 90 seconds left (the play that lead to wallace's 6th foul for being in that ridiculous restricted area, another terrible rule the NCAA never should've adopted).

Reaction Score
He left Boston to win a ring in Miami. Good move but not popular in Beantown.

Reaction Score
Ray went John Starks in the 4th Q and missed 50 open looks that would have brought the C's a 2nd 'Ship in 3 years

Also, he might have been their 4th best player, after KG, PP and Rondo

the Q

Reaction Score
Ray went John Starks in the 4th Q and missed 50 open looks that would have brought the C's a 2nd 'Ship in 3 years

they still should've won.

the NBA should be ashamed for how their stooges handled that game.

Reaction Score

Everyone sucked that game for both teams, it's awesome you keep singling out Allen.

the Q

Reaction Score
Everyone sucked that game for both teams, it's awesome you keep singling out Allen.

Everyone. But especially employees of the NBA. It was like watching the 04 Olympics.

Kings/lakers had nothing on this game.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Strange seeing an anti-Boston thread on this board...

Really? They happen all the time. Just bring up the Pats and boom....the City of Boston, their teams, and their fans get torched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom