CCSU Cracks FCS top 25 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CCSU Cracks FCS top 25

Reaction Score
Just wondering, but does anyone recall UConn’s highest poll ranking at the I-AA level? How often was UConn ranked playing in their final 2 decades in the Yankee/A-10?

I know the Huskies have won a few Yankee Conference championship in football, but have just 1 NCAA playoff appearance in 1998.

Different eras, but interesting to see how the CCSU program now compares to UConn teams back in the 1980-90s.

Reaction Score
Just wondering, but does anyone recall UConn’s highest poll ranking at the I-AA level? How often was UConn ranked playing in their final 2 decades in the Yankee/A-10?

I know the Huskies have won a few Yankee Conference championship in football, but have just 1 NCAA playoff appearance in 1998.

Different eras, but interesting to see how the CCSU program now compares to UConn teams back in the 1980-90s.
finished t10th 1980, 19th 1986, 18th 1989, 23rd 1995, 9th 1998
edit; the highest ever ranking was t2, week 3 in 1980 with South Carolina State

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It doesn't say much that we already didn't know. Wagner is awful, UConn is struggling and under-talented for a FBS team, and CCSU is a very good FCS team.

Wagner's #1 QB (FBS transfer) was 12 for 23 passing for 83 yards vs. UConn.
Wagner's #2 QB (FCS Frosh) was 18 for 32 for 187 yds, 1 TD and 3 INTs vs. CCSU.

UConn rushed for 234 yds vs. Wagner
CCSU rushed for just 66 yds vs. Wagner

The biggest difference was at QB and defense:

Mike Beaudry (UConn) was 14 for 21, 158 yds and 1 INT vs. Wagner
AAron Winchester (CCSU) was 13 for 19, 213 yds, 3 TDs, 1 INT vs. Wagner

UConn allowed Wagner 103 yards rushing and 2 TDS on 21 carries
CCSU held Wagner to -26 yards rushing on 27 carries

Reaction Score
CCSU and Southeast Missouri State flip flop. CCSU now ranked 18th after 1TD win this past weekend.

This weekend is their last home game against Robert Morris. I might attend since UConn has a bye week, game is at 12pm at Arute in New Britain. Tickets are cheap (maybe $10). If they win this week I think they clinch the playoffs and are guaranteed to share the conference title

Reaction Score
CCSU and Southeast Missouri State flip flop. CCSU now ranked 18th after 1TD win this past weekend.

This weekend is their last home game against Robert Morris. I might attend since UConn has a bye week, game is at 12pm at Arute in New Britain. Tickets are cheap (maybe $10). If they win this week I think they clinch the playoffs and are guaranteed to share the conference title

Central can clinch the NEC Championship with a win vs. Robert Morris on Saturday, but doesn't earn the league's automatic bid to the playoffs without a Duquesne loss to Bryant this week or a CCSU win at Duquesne the following week.

Reaction Score
Central can clinch the NEC Championship with a win vs. Robert Morris on Saturday, but doesn't earn the league's automatic bid to the playoffs without a Duquesne loss to Bryant this week or a CCSU win at Duquesne the following week.

If they win this weekend but lose to Duquesne who gets the bid?

Reaction Score
If they win this weekend but lose to Duquesne who gets the bid?

Depends on DUQ-BRY this week and RMU-SHU in the final week.

Assuming DUQ wins this week vs. Bryant and next week vs. CCSU, the Blue Devils would need RMU to win it's final game vs. Sacred Heart.

Central (6-1) wins the 3-way tiebreaker with RMU (6-1) and DUQ (6-1) with losses to each other due to a higher Sargin ranking.

But Duquesne (6-1) would win the two-way head-to-head tiebreaker over Central (6-1), if RMU (5-2) loses it final game vs. Sacred Heart.

Reaction Score
CCSU convincingly beat RMU at home today 49-28. Defense made some HUGE plays. Need to improve on special teams. CCSU is now 10-1 and should make the FCS playoffs with a potential fist round home game.

I went to the game, as some of u know I am an Alum and it was the first game I’ve been to in years. For 30 degree weather the place was pretty packed. The alumni tent was great! Had free food and beer ($5 for craft beer-not bad CCSU). For any Alumni out there that want an honest opinion about the game - it’s worth going to. Tickets were $5 and got free food and coffee at the tent. Will definitely go to the playoff game if they get in. Fun atmosphere and special team in New Britain.

Reaction Score
So do you guys think CCSU would beat UConn? This year I would say yes and I believe Vegas would start the line around -3.5 CCSU on a neutral field, maybe a pick em at the rent.

Reaction Score
So do you guys think CCSU would beat UConn? This year I would say yes and I believe Vegas would start the line around -3.5 CCSU on a neutral field, maybe a pick em at the rent.

Idk. They struggle a little on special teams blocking and coverage. They have a QB that is kinda like Pindell, he can scoot. I think he’s a transfer from Georgia Southern. Good player. They have good athletes but would get beat by UConn’s defensive line. That being said I think it would be a toss up. If this years team played UConn’s team last year I would say it would be an L for the huskies. This year is a coin flip. Randy will have to be ready in 2022 because CCSU’s classes coming in are pretty darn good. With Dolegala being in the NFL for the Bengals it helps with solid QB recruiting.

Reaction Score
Huge weekend for CCSU fans. #HardwareCity

Yesterday, the Women's Soccer team upset Rutgers 1-0 to advance to the Second Round of the NCAA Tourney. Central tied UConn 1-1 earlier this year in New Britain. CCSU faces West Virginia next.

And today the football team won a school record 10th game this year and clinched another NEC Championship and automatic qualification to the NCAA FCS Playoffs for the 2nd time in 3 years. Currently #19 in FCS, the Blue Devils have a chance to finish the season 11-1, move further up the rankings, and make some noise in the playoffs.

The only real downer is the total mess that is men's basketball program led by Donyell Marshall. CCSU is now 0-4 and were previously blown out in games vs. Hartford, at St. John's, and at Arizona State. Today UMass drubbed us 89-43 in Amherst and by all accounts, we look worse than the score. Detrick Gym will be a morgue this year :(

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The only real downer is the total mess that is men's basketball program led by Donyell Marshall. CCSU is now 0-4 and were previously blown out in games vs. Hartford, at St. John's, and at Arizona State. Today UMass drubbed us 89-43 in Amherst and by all accounts, we look worse than the score. Detrick Gym will be a morgue this year :(

That basketball team is a mess! It's been a sad decade for them! Haven't had much success since Horton. Would love to see them bring in a new coach soon.

Reaction Score
That basketball team is a mess! It's been a sad decade for them! Haven't had much success since Horton. Would love to see them bring in a new coach soon.

I’ll do u one better... since Vinales left...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom