Cats | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cats

Reaction Score
I love my cat, but ever since he's seen the cardboard cutout of his face, he's been acting like a spoiled prince.

Since mid-May, he's been waking me up pretty much every day at 4 AM to feed him, despite the fact that I never cave and we keep a pretty regular schedule feeding him between 6 AM-6:30 AM daily. Usually, he just hangs out and once we’re up he gets excited and runs downstairs for breakfast.

Any recs on how to curb this? I've tried having honest conversations with him, but those don't seem to help.

Or, is caving and feeding him at 4 AM daily worth it to ensure I don't spend 4-6 AM half-awake with him clawing and meowing. My guess is that the earlier sunrise + bird activity are the main culprits to his hassling.

We're spending two nights away starting today, so I'm hoping the time away will help him take stock and see how lucky he is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not really. It's more like I'm sorry my cat doesn't fit your stereotype.
So when (at least) half a dozen people say that word-for-word, that's what it means? Got it- thanks for clearing that up.

Frankly, if I want something that behaves like a dog I'd rather get a dog than roll the dice on a cat, but call me crazy.

Reaction Score
So when (at least) half a dozen people say that word-for-word, that's what it means? Got it- thanks for clearing that up.

Frankly, if I want something that behaves like a dog I'd rather get a dog than roll the dice on a cat, but call me crazy.
Maybe the people who want a cat that acts like a dog like the traits of most dogs but don't want to walk them around a few times a day picking up their s^^t especially early mornings and late nights when it's below zero, don't want to/can't leave their dog alone all day, can't deal with barking, want to be able to have the freedom to go away for a weekend without making plans to board or have a sitter...

There's all sorts of reasons for wanting to have a cat or dog.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Maybe the people who want a cat that acts like a dog like the traits of most dogs but don't want to walk them around a few times a day picking up their s^^t especially early mornings and late nights when it's below zero, don't want to/can't leave their dog alone all day, can't deal with barking, want to be able to have the freedom to go away for a weekend without making plans to board or have a sitter...

There's all sorts of reasons for wanting to have a cat or dog.
Walking a dog, cleaning up after them. Bad.

Having a low-maintenance cat that has a litter box stinking up the house and needs emptying. Good.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Having a low-maintenance cat that has a litter box stinking up the house and needs emptying. Good.

You can't compare the maintenance level. My cat mostly goes outside so the litter box rarely needs emptying. But we can go away for a weekend and leave her in the house with no problems. Even for a week, we just have somebody stop by once a day and she's fine. Can't do that with a dog. My cat is affectionate as any dog, more than most.

People can get the pet they want that fits their lifestyle.

Reaction Score

Yes, cats work way better for me. I like them just as much or more than dogs and they are a breeze. I like to travel, don't like taking out a dog at 6am especially during the winter months, I have neighbors right on top of me and don't have a yard. The cat can sleep in the bed, never want a dog in the bed. Cats are much better for me.

Reaction Score
No shame in it. Takes a man to admit you need the guaranteed affection of a dog that doesn't give two ____ about your personality.
Nor will the dog interrupt you while you are watching your favorite TV program or sports event because it "needs to talk about a matter."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

All I'm saying is I have a great cat and there there are plenty of crappy dogs out there.

Reaction Score
No shame in it. Takes a man to admit you need the guaranteed affection of a dog that doesn't give two ____ about your personality.
Whoa- that escalated quickly. Anyone who has a pet- whether a dog, a cat, or a ferret- knows (or should know) that "affection" is an evolutionary adaptation to get the food from your closet into their bowl. If I'm having to pay for / take care of an animal then, yes, I'm going with the one that I think is likely to be more "affectionate", whatever the hell that has to do with manhood. To @superjohn and @HuskyHawk's points above, I'm also signing up to have to walk it in the rain and cold early in the morning/late at night and to figure out what to do with it whenever I want to travel. To each their own.

Reaction Score
Whoa- that escalated quickly. Anyone who has a pet- whether a dog, a cat, or a ferret- knows (or should know) that "affection" is an evolutionary adaptation to get the food from your closet into their bowl. If I'm having to pay for / take care of an animal then, yes, I'm going with the one that I think is likely to be more "affectionate", whatever the hell that has to do with manhood. To @superjohn and @HuskyHawk's points above, I'm also signing up to have to walk it in the rain and cold early in the morning/late at night and to figure out what to do with it whenever I want to travel. To each their own.

Indeed. It was a joke. I have a dog.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The "problem" with dogs isn't that they're a lifelong project, it's the owners that think it isn't a lifetime project and don't take responsibility for their "purchase".

I had pound dogs as a kid and we really didn't know what to do with them, my mother simply got us a couple dogs after my dad died for her own reasons. Neither dog amounted to much, which was our fault. As an adult, I'm on my third. First was from a reputable breeder and we trained him on agility, second was a 12-year old who was being abandoned and just needed a place to live out his final couple years, current one was being fostered, but ostensibly on "death row" as if he wasn't placed shortly, he would be euthanized.

He is an ill-conceived mix of a golden and a great pyrenees, a mix that should shouldn't exist and certainly should not be bred as a "designer" dog. Great pyrenees are territorial, work alone, don't take direction well, and don't play much, especially not with other dogs. We got him at three after he'd been dumped by previous owner for barking incessantly (which is their job) and spent most of two years either in shelters or fosters. He looks like a big golden and most people assume he is. He isn't and can be absolutely terrifying if one is expecting a dumb, friendly golden.

Four years later, he's been the most rewarding experience of any dog I've had. It took a long time to understand him and gain his trust, and truthfully I was almost ready to give up a couple times because it seemed hopeless. But sometime in the third year with us, things clicked and it's been amazing - and not GenZ hyperbolic "amazing". He still patrols the perimeter fence and barks more than other dogs, but we can now mitigate that. He's learned to play a bit (he has no retriever instincts). He's the perfect trail dog and I trust him implicitly off leash in the woods. We work as a team out there and it's often my favorite part of the day just watching him in the woods or swimming in a pond.

Cats are fine, but I've never really had a "rewarding" experience with any of the cats I've had. Sure, having them paw your chest is cute and all, but a cat is a cat and pretty much a finished product when you get it. The reward of a dog is the payoff of all the work.

Reaction Score

Even better if you also have a dog, 'cuz you likely won't have to clean the solids out of the litter box.

Reaction Score
I love my cat, but ever since he's seen the cardboard cutout of his face, he's been acting like a spoiled prince.

Since mid-May, he's been waking me up pretty much every day at 4 AM to feed him, despite the fact that I never cave and we keep a pretty regular schedule feeding him between 6 AM-6:30 AM daily. Usually, he just hangs out and once we’re up he gets excited and runs downstairs for breakfast.

Any recs on how to curb this? I've tried having honest conversations with him, but those don't seem to help.

Or, is caving and feeding him at 4 AM daily worth it to ensure I don't spend 4-6 AM half-awake with him clawing and meowing. My guess is that the earlier sunrise + bird activity are the main culprits to his hassling.

We're spending two nights away starting today, so I'm hoping the time away will help him take stock and see how lucky he is.
Perhaps try hanging a cardboard cutout of Jonathan and see if that changes his tude. If he's a kitten he'll grow out of it.

Cats rule. I had two and they were the best house companions by far. Feed them, pet them, that's all they need. They'll come chill while you're watching a movie and the purring is therapeutic. Dogs not only need a lot of work but are close to being filthy animals. I mean, you have to accept the fact that there is dog shinola around your house, whether in your yard, on your shoes, on the carpet, on his breath, his paws, his bung, it's disgusting, and unavoidable. I deal with it because I have to, but when you become part of the community of people watching an animal poop, picking it up, and carrying it around in a plastic bag a couple times a day, it's time for a reality check.

At least swine stick to their own pens.

Reaction Score
I lived with three girls my first year out of UConn (my then girlfriend and two of her high school friends from Bristol) splitting a dirt cheap Cambridge apartment that was renovated while we lived in it lol anyway one of the girls got a cat, named it “kitty”, was the sweetest thing and would do the same.
A crude joke is hidden in this post.

Reaction Score

Our dog used to like to eat the cat crap... lived almost 20 years so it wasn't killing her.

Reaction Score
I'll try to make this come back full circle:

Back home after away for three days and we've switched to feeding our cat Vinny right before bed. He's a meal houser, so splitting up his food into two portions, since we're home more often on summer break, is the plan.

Slept great (took Benadryl for two spider bites from our MA trip) and Vinny was back to his regular ways: loafing quietly at the foot of the bed while we wake up.

Looks like we have a dog vs cat fight going here. I grew up with dogs from ages 5-24 and cats from newborn to 11 and I've loved all my pets. Vinny is my first pet during adulthood and he's the best pet I've ever had. Using the lexicon of @CTBasketball, we have a "chill" cat, who just likes being around us and people. He knows who likes cats and he gives space to people who'd rather him be away. Fun to play with, but not annoying ever until this 4 AM food issue over the previous month.

He totally fits our lifestyle: a dog right now would be very binding and hard to maintain. Personally, I don't see us getting a dog until: a) we have kids and they get older to help take care of it, b) we retire, c) we make enough money to afford to have someone come by daily to walk him/her while we're at work.

Here's a current shot of Vinny: this guy is made for lounging:

IMG_8141.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I'll try to make this come back full circle:

Back home after away for three days and we've switched to feeding our cat Vinny right before bed. He's a meal houser, so splitting up his food into two portions, since we're home more often on summer break, is the plan.

Slept great (took Benadryl for two spider bites from our MA trip) and Vinny was back to his regular ways: loafing quietly at the foot of the bed while we wake up.

Looks like we have a dog vs cat fight going here. I grew up with dogs from ages 5-24 and cats from newborn to 11 and I've loved all my pets. Vinny is my first pet during adulthood and he's the best pet I've ever had. Using the lexicon of @CTBasketball, we have a "chill" cat, who just likes being around us and people. He knows who likes cats and he gives space to people who'd rather him be away. Fun to play with, but not annoying ever until this 4 AM food issue over the previous month.

He totally fits our lifestyle: a dog right now would be very binding and hard to maintain. Personally, I don't see us getting a dog until: a) we have kids and they get older to help take care of it, b) we retire, c) we make enough money to afford to have someone come by daily to walk him/her while we're at work.

Here's a current shot of Vinny: this guy is made for lounging:

View attachment 68157

Looks like my first cat, Princess. Had a sister Boots that was my main girl, looked like Sylvester with the tuxedo cat look.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. We just went on vacation too and all we needed was father in law to pop in once a day. They were excited to see us when we got back.

We’re considering a Husky or something cool but we have 2 cats and 2 babies, no way in Hades we’re getting a big dog now.

I don’t trust people that don’t like cats or think they’re not friendly just because they’re calm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom