Castle's improvement at UConn | The Boneyard

Castle's improvement at UConn

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The difference between October Castle and March Castle is astounding. I recall that Stephon came to us very highly regarded, except for his 3 ball.
I also remember 5 - 6 months ago, when I first watched him play, wondering what all the hype was about. He seemed hesitant.
Hurley gave him a quick hook when he made a bad play or seemed to have a mental lapse. But Hurley and staff sure must have been working with him a lot. Perhaps there was a sense of urgency, knowing they had but one season to reap the rewards of recruiting him, and getting him in a position to live up to the hype on the BIG stage of the Big East and NCAA tourneys.
Some of his drives through traffic the last half dozen games have been amazing. Play it over and over in your head kind of amazing. The combination of power and grace in some of drives is incredible.
It seems like he reaches into his bag of skills and brings out something different each game. Last night, it was rebounding and ball hawking. 6 boards and 4 steals. Not to mention three dimes. A week ago, it was scoring, when he went for 21 on 75% shooting against Seton Hall.
He's also a way better defender than I ever anticipated.
And, under the tutelage of our staff, his supposed weak link -- the 3 ball -- is no longer an issue. He's not Spencer or Alex, but he's hitting it with regularity, and appears willing to take it in a big moment. I'd hazard a guess that someone on the staff, or perhaps one of his teammates invested a lot of time with him working on it.
The improvements in his game bode well for his future, as well as for ours over the next 9 games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The same thing happened with Jeremy Lamb. Couldn't hit a three early in his freshman year but Calhoun kept saying this kid is special. And the BY kept saying, I don't see it.

It was deja vu with posters saying Castle should never take a three. Patience is a virtue but it's not a common virtue.

Reaction Score
The difference between October Castle and March Castle is astounding. I recall that Stephon came to us very highly regarded, except for his 3 ball.
I also remember 5 - 6 months ago, when I first watched him play, wondering what all the hype was about. He seemed hesitant.
Hurley gave him a quick hook when he made a bad play or seemed to have a mental lapse. But Hurley and staff sure must have been working with him a lot. Perhaps there was a sense of urgency, knowing they had but one season to reap the rewards of recruiting him, and getting him in a position to live up to the hype on the BIG stage of the Big East and NCAA tourneys.
Some of his drives through traffic the last half dozen games have been amazing. Play it over and over in your head kind of amazing. The combination of power and grace in some of drives is incredible.
It seems like he reaches into his bag of skills and brings out something different each game. Last night, it was rebounding and ball hawking. 6 boards and 4 steals. Not to mention three dimes. A week ago, it was scoring, when he went for 21 on 75% shooting against Seton Hall.
He's also a way better defender than I ever anticipated.
And, under the tutelage of our staff, his supposed weak link -- the 3 ball -- is no longer an issue. He's not Spencer or Alex, but he's hitting it with regularity, and appears willing to take it in a big moment. I'd hazard a guess that someone on the staff, or perhaps one of his teammates invested a lot of time with him working on it.
The improvements in his game bode well for his future, as well as for ours over the next 9 games.
As of yesterday. All 5 starters had a 3 and are now threats. I want don to start taking more once the games out of reach.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Noticed that Hurley is resting Tristen and letting Stephon run the point as well as Hassan when Tristen isn't in the game.

I can only imagine what this team would be like at this stage if Stephon and Donovan weren't set back by injuries. Upside of course was the run that Samson and Hassan got as a consequence which can't be discounted for this season or next and Solo for next season.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Stephon is the same player he was as he was last year in AAU/HS, just scoring less and defending a bit better
He just had to overcome his injury and not being the main playmaker on his team

Reaction Score
I think the rapid maturity of Castle has impressed me the most. Earlier in the season I feel like he would have reacted totally different to that illegal screen hard hit he took. He just shrugged it off last night.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Stephon is the same player he was as he was last year in AAU/HS, just scoring less and defending a bit better
I feel like we’re always on the same page with these things lol

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Castle has turned into an elite defender thanks to Hurley, the best defensive coach in the country.

Offensively he struggles to score outside of right at the rim. This is after he was a pretty good all around scorer in HS. I’m not sure how much we can say he developed offensively.

Defensively though? Absolutely.

Reaction Score
He’s really good and he can do things he hasn’t even shown yet. He’s a freshman on a great team so he holds back some things to play it safe.

As several as mentioned, his defense is most impressive. His high school tape did not show this at all.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I suspect that "not being the main playmaker" thing was a huge factor. I would not be surprised though, to see him move more towards that role as the stakes grow higher in upcoming games. As long as he does it within the flow of the offense and doesn't try to make it more about him than the team, I'm all for it.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
And with his 11th Freshman of the Week award today, he broke the tie with Melo and became the all time leader. Do they continue to do that during the BET?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Rich I would move your reference to defense up to the top of your list. All aspects of his game have seen improvement but he is our guy who is going to shut down their guy 1 through 4

Reaction Score
I remember watching the McDonald's scrimmages and Castle was hitting them beyond the NBA 3 point line.

I actually believe that he believes the team is better off with him driving and getting offensive rebounds then putting up 5 or 6 3-point tries a game, which he's right, but for a freshman with a NBA lottery paycheck on the line the next year, makes him even more impressive.

Reaction Score
If you’re guarding him on a drive to the hoop it’s going to be physical, he’s so strong. Yes he misses layups but it’s a war in there battling bigger players. Wish he could stay longer.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Noticed that Hurley is resting Tristen and letting Stephon run the point as well as Hassan when Tristen isn't in the game.

I can only imagine what this team would be like at this stage if Stephon and Donovan weren't set back by injuries. Upside of course was the run that Samson and Hassan got as a consequence which can't be discounted for this season or next and Solo for next season.

I honestly think their injuries didn’t set us back at all. It toughened the team up and gave other guys minutes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I honestly think their injuries didn’t set us back at all. It toughened the team up and gave other guys minutes.
“At all” is too definitive for me. I feel Stephon is not nearly as polished on the offensive end as I believe he’d be if he had all the games he missed or was not under minute restrictions. Harder for me to know where Donovan would be if he was healthy from the start.

Agree there were positive trade offs. No way of calculating the positives vs. the negatives. Doubt our math nerds have algorithms to determine the overall value of the trade offs.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Nice player. Great prospect. Let’s not forget he missed something like 7 layups last game.
"As you go through life, let this always be your goal:
Keep your eye upon the donut, and not upon the hole."

If that doesn't work for you, then change, "Let's not forget..." to, "I'll never forget..."

And then be thankful that you're unlikely to ever have somebody campaigning for us all to never forget that you wrote this.

Reaction Score
One of the coolest things about Castle is that he enjoys the triumphs of others more than his shots. His celebration of Newton’s last triple double and Diarra’s three at the end of first half at PC come to mind.

Reaction Score
He’s making out of the world plays that only special players make. He’s a hustler and gets after it on D. That said he’s got plenty of work do on his outside shooting. I guess the G league will clean that up. I wish he’d stay and develop his next level but that isn’t happening.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom