Castle reminds me of Marcus Smart | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Castle reminds me of Marcus Smart

Reaction Score
Castle's defensive chops are going to buy him a lot of goodwill in the league. Sb able to get regular time early without having to worry about hot hand wing minutes. I'd love to see him in Jalen Williams territory but he's got some shooting work to put in.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm a Celtics fan and I've followed Smart's career very closely. If Castle "develops" a shot like Smart's he's not going to be a star. He needs to do better shooting-wise. And I think he can.

Don’t disagree but Smart did get better. He also took a ton of horrid shots (time of possession, one on one, location, etc). I think Castle will be more circumspect.

Reaction Score
Castle is still so young, as long as he keeps his drive he will become great.

Reaction Score
Regarding Castles 3 point shooting, both his 3 point shooting and free throw shooting improved as he worked his way back from the injury which coincided with the competition as well as pressure increasing. It’s a small sample but I’m not really worried he will be a league average shooter at worse and if he is better, than the Jimmy Butler comp looks even better.

Reaction Score
If Steph can turn into a Jimmy Butler type player, that would be great for the program. Build a reputation on his intensity (but hopefully more winning) that Hurley helped bring out in him.

Reaction Score
He is a hard player to compare to others. I think he is a point guard (I could be wrong). Ive said on here that i see a Cade that’s not as advanced on offense but better on defense but that’s definitely not perfect either.

Reaction Score
watching the cavs yesterday, i feel like the floor for castle is an isaac okoro type. just seems like he is a slam dunk as an nba rotation guy.

obviously, he also the potential to be a star. i like the jimmy butler comp too, but i don't want to put those expectations on any of our guys. people forget how elite jimmy butler has been at various points in his career.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
He is a hard player to compare to others. I think he is a point guard (I could be wrong). Ive said on here that i see a Cade that’s not as advanced on offense but better on defense but that’s definitely not perfect either.

I’m with you on his point guard skill set. It’s what makes his projection intriguing.

He’s got a Jimmy Butler type body and mentality but should grow into a great distributor and pick and roll maestro.

Reaction Score
He could be Josh Hart or Marcus Smart tomorrow, my opinion.

I think Jimmy Butler / Jaylen Brown is peak.
Watching Jaylen Brown today I thought a lot about Castle. So many of his moves around the basket are similar. Jaylen obviously made himself into a much better 3 point shooter than when he arrived, but I can't remember him as a 3 point shooter at Cal. I'm going to guess he shot very similarly to Castle.

Reaction Score
The comparison to Jimmy Butler has been thrown around a lot. I see a lot of it, but Castle is actually a pretty bad mid-range shooter and Butler is elite in that range.
I really hate when people compare a professional finished product to a developing player just coming out of college.

caw

Reaction Score
Watching Jaylen Brown today I thought a lot about Castle. So many of his moves around the basket are similar. Jaylen obviously made himself into a much better 3 point shooter than when he arrived, but I can't remember him as a 3 point shooter at Cal. I'm going to guess he shot very similarly to Castle.

Brown was at 29% compared to Castle at 26%. Castle shot better overall and from the FT line. Castle also had a 2-1 A/TO ratio compared to Brown at 1-1.5 A/TO ratio. Rebounding was similar. Brown scored more by shooting more (from both two annd three) and getting to the FT line more. Similar minutes. Blocks/Steals similar. Castle with fewer fouls.

Should be noted the BE is better than the PAC and Castle missed some OOC games to boost his stats.

Similar ages in college. Yet to see if height and weight are similar. I would guess yes. Brown measured 6’5.25 without shoes 6’6.75 with and 222.8. Castle should be at least 6’5 barefoot. Standing next to Newton he looks at least 2 inches taller and Newton came in at 6’3.5 barefoot. Weight, I think Castle might be 5-10 lbs lighter (or was at end of season).

Solid comp overall though coming out of college.

Edit: I believe they stopped the “with shoes” measurements as it varied so much. Also Brown did no strength/agility drills I could find.

Reaction Score
Can't tell if you're serious but Smart is a career 32% shooter. Which is not good, especially considering the volume.

33% from three is basically the same as 50% from two. It is a viable percentage for a player with many other skills.

Reaction Score
Anyone agree or who else is he like?
They don’t look alike

1714309428485.jpeg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm hoping for better than Marcus Smart for Castle. Smart has an alpha-dog mentality without an alpha-dog game. The Celtics got better without him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom