Castle is King at the Rim | The Boneyard

Castle is King at the Rim

Reaction Score
I'm never shy to admit I was wrong. Given the slightest opening, Castle's ability to finish or get fouled attacking the rim is impressive. Occasionally he gets himself in trouble in traffic within the paint, but more often he succeeds there. I didn't give his due when it comes to finishing. That part of his game will clearly translate to the next level and would like to see more of it when such is needed.

He also has a nice midrange game that I'd like to see him look for it more often.

He does need to improve in the area of being more decisive when he gets the ball in the half court. He was better against Xavier in this regard than the past few games. Hopefully it's due to the time he missed and not a cognitive issue. What makes a good player great, in addition to shot making, is quick decision making, creating good shots for themselves and teammates.

He's likely the best we have at taking his man off the dribble, though Newton is very good at it even though he's not the physical specimen that Castle is. Castle is really good in transition.

It still seams the half court motion offense doesn't look as snappy when he's on the floor, though it seemed better last night. Hopefully he'll continue to improve each game in this area.

I think when players are not in their usual positions due to foul trouble or injuries, which was the case at times last night, knowing where to be and move off the ball becomes problematic. Either not knowing where and when to be on the move to either set a screen or receive the ball results in offensive breakdowns.

His 3 point shooting is not there yet. He has pretty good form, but it's hard to be consistent when he doesn't take a lot of 3s, something we don't want to see since we have a slew of sharpshooters on the floor at all times. Unfortunately, teams tend to sag off him to defend against the drive or hope that he'll take the 3. It would be nice to see him knock down an early 3,similar to what Jackson did last season, do reduce teams from dropping off and hedging over to our shootrs. I don't think we'll see much of this in his game here at UConn, but maybe he'll surprise us as the season goes on.

Lastly, he looks like he's going to be something between a Marcus Smart and Jalen Rose at the next level. He has the body, power and handle of those two. I think he's one of those players who's better years are yet to come and who's game is more suited for the NBA, though the 3 ball has become a much used weapon in the modern NBA game. Though there are still some elite players who do most of their damage inside the arc.

Reaction Score
I agree, and commented on this earlier today. He's got this super power around the rim. It's as if the ball gets sucked into the basket as if it were being pulled into a black hole.

Hurley seems to find players that have a unique gift and Castle is the latest. He doesn't really catch your eye. Then, all of a suddent he's in a crowd near the rim and the ball always seems to go in.

Reaction Score
As much as I can't stand to watch the Nova offense with the constant ISO Big Guard Back down while 4 guys watch on the other side of the court I would actually love to throw this out there occasionally if Steph refined his back to the basket game.

His body type and game suit that so well. He could take advantage of almost anyone guarding him (with the exception of the few occasions that teams have been playing their 5 man on him and playing off in the paint).

Reaction Score
As much as I can't stand to watch the Nova offense with the constant ISO Big Guard Back down while 4 guys watch on the other side of the court I would actually love to throw this out there occasionally if Steph refined his back to the basket game.

His body type and game suit that so well. He could take advantage of almost anyone guarding him (with the exception of the few occasions that teams have been playing their 5 man on him and playing off in the paint).
Ive thought about this as well but from a defensive standpoint. Id like to see Nova attempt this on Castle (and Newton). I think it would prove to be a bit more difficult than it was against Cole

Reaction Score
He has impressed me with his BB IQ, floor vision, physicality and overall grit. He showed a nice mid-range in HS and if he can garner any respect for his shot it will open up everything for him on offense. Right now the shot is way off and he looks super unbalanced but I am hopeful.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don’t think his 3 point ball will come here at UConn and I love the fact he doesn’t focus on it. He’s kind of the opposite of Andre there. He knows his strengths and he plays to them.

Super patient and wise beyond his years when it comes to waiting for his opening to attack. He knows how to take advantage of a defense that’s not set and it also makes him almost impossible to stop in transition.

Lights out defensively. This was the area I was hoping Hurley could help him the most after his HS reports and he’s done just that. He’s the best perimeter defender on the team by far and Hurley has helped him stay locked in to not drift in and out of games.

Would love to see him incorporate some more mid range shots because that was a strength of his in HS. He needs something so he can still score without getting to the rim. He’s effortlessly and efficiently putting great numbers up though while doing the little things as well.

Reaction Score
i'd like to see him start handling the ball more and running the offense like AJ did. the other 4 starters can all put up 20 in a given game if theyre focused on scoring.

Reaction Score

Look at this highlight from HS... Yea, it was high school. But there are plenty of high difficulty jumpers from all kinds of range here. I think his draft stock will only improve as he starts working out with trainers in the spring and gets his head right. No mechanical issues and a history of making them... it's all in his head.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I would love to see some post isos run for him like the way Brunson was used at nova.

Man, it’s fun to watch him figure a few more things out every game.

Reaction Score
I don’t think his 3 point ball will come here at UConn and I love the fact he doesn’t focus on it. He’s kind of the opposite of Andre there. He knows his strengths and he plays to them.

Super patient and wise beyond his years when it comes to waiting for his opening to attack. He knows how to take advantage of a defense that’s not set and it also makes him almost impossible to stop in transition.

Lights out defensively. This was the area I was hoping Hurley could help him the most after his HS reports and he’s done just that. He’s the best perimeter defender on the team by far and Hurley has helped him stay locked in to not drift in and out of games.

Would love to see him incorporate some more mid range shots because that was a strength of his in HS. He needs something so he can still score without getting to the rim. He’s effortlessly and efficiently putting great numbers up though while doing the little things as well.
The defensive aspect to his game is so undervalued. The same reason why football fans don't get legit pumped when their team drafts an OL. He's not gonna be Cam or Newt and he ain't trying to be

Reaction Score
Yea he is amazing. His greatest asset rn is that he is secretly our PF and is amazing at it. He reminds me a smaller Ben Simmons , with a better attitude.

Reaction Score
I agree with the assessment of his finishing at the rim. He's strong yet with just the right amount of finess and touch so the ball finds its way through the hoop. I'd like to him roll of screens more often and hit the midrange. Maybe that would force defenders to respect his shot. They sag off of him so visibly it can be frustrating.

Reaction Score
Yea he is amazing. His greatest asset rn is that he is secretly our PF and is amazing at it. He reminds me a smaller Ben Simmons , with a better attitude.
He's already 215lb as a freshman. Maybe he can have a Marcus Smart level of career.

Reaction Score

Look at this highlight from HS... Yea, it was high school. But there are plenty of high difficulty jumpers from all kinds of range here. I think his draft stock will only improve as he starts working out with trainers in the spring and gets his head right. No mechanical issues and a history of making them... it's all in his head.

Yup. Remember watching him in high school and thought his mid range game was his greatest strength. You can see how much he is thinking when he gets the ball most times. Give him some confidence and let him shoot through the struggles. Not only will he start making them, but it will open up the rest of his game.

Reaction Score
I love his midrange game too but maybe it’s based on direction from the coaching staff? We know our offensive scheme loves 3’s and shots in the paint - very anti mid-range.

Reaction Score
Not to be that person, but one thing I do not like is that often when he gets the ball in the backcourt he just stands there and looks around. He needs to make a quick move toward the basket or a quick pass. Standing there with the ball does nothing for the offense.

Reaction Score
He has put on a lot of muscle since his HS tapes. The kid is strong and doesn’t get moved on his drives. Strong and creative at the rim. Last shot go to him or Newton?

Reaction Score
He has put on a lot of muscle since his HS tapes. The kid is strong and doesn’t get moved on his drives. Strong and creative at the rim. Last shot go to him or Newton?
Or Spencer or Karaban?

Reaction Score
2 point deficit:
1. Cam Spencer
2. Tristan Newton
3. Alex Karaban/Donovan Clingan

3 point deficit:
1. Cam Spencer
2. Alex Karaban
3. Tristan Newton

Reaction Score
I say let Castle go to the rim to get 2 and get fouled.

Reaction Score
About to see Danny give the green light to Castle. Do your thing when you see it. Will be a game changer for our season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom