Castle has entered Ricky Moore territory | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Castle has entered Ricky Moore territory

Reaction Score
Who is discrediting Ricky? It's because many of us recognize Ricky to be one of the greatest, if not the greatest, UConn defender that we are comparing Stephon to him. I purposely did not compare Stephon to Diana Taurasi to eliminate your appearance in this thread.:cool:
The fact that Castle didn't even play in the beginning of the season due to injury, didn't start immediately once he came back and has only taken off really in the 2nd half of this season? Discredits what Moore did over 4 years.

It's flattering to Moore....but it's unjustified hyperbole.

Reaction Score
Just an incredible effort. I am most impressed at Castle's poise. Even when his shot is not falling he does not appear to get flustered, he just steps up in other areas and stays within the game.
When camera shows sideline huddles with coach, Castle is always listening very attentively. He cheers his teammates on and he never pouts or seems down on himself. Rather, if something doesn't go right, he comes back more determined than ever. That is the one word that describes him best: determined.

Reaction Score
Does he have a chance to get a Big East defensive award? Or is that just for someone with better stats?
Ricky lost to that Syracuse center who had a few flashy blocks.

Reaction Score
Ricky almost always played against the head of the snake. Very tough assignment. He is the consensus best exterior defender we have every had. Ricky cut off what the offensive player wanted to do before the opponent started to do it. His anticipation was incredible.

Lyman was probably the toughest defender I ever saw. He was a rock. He was 6-4 with the power of of Sanogo. And at 6-4 he was capable of guarding 5-10 rocketships.

Boatright was great. For the old timers Dan Hesford. Nobody played the passing lanes like Henefeld, And Scott Burrell was only the greatest athlete the state has ever produced and an incredible defender.

I did not say, and am not saying, that Castle is a better defensive player than Ricky. But he still deserves to be in this conversation. And that is not hyperbole. If you don't appreciate what we are seeing right now wearing #5. Fine.

Reaction Score
Hassan is Napier/Boatwright level of guard good.

Stephon is a Ricky Moore/Lyman DePriest level of defender and given that he can guard so many positions effectively he might be the best defensive man to man player UConn has ever had.
Yep. I'm pretty sure Dana Barros still has bad dreams about Lyman.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The fact that Castle didn't even play in the beginning of the season due to injury, didn't start immediately once he came back and has only taken off really in the 2nd half of this season? Discredits what Moore did over 4 years.

It's flattering to Moore....but it's unjustified hyperbole.
I'm comparing skill sets, not careers. Castle's ability to stay in front of opposing teams best guards and wings and impact their ability to score is at an incredible level. Every bit as good as what Ricky did but with the ability to do it against multiple positions.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
I'm a big Castle fan, but more than anything, this thread discredits just what Ricky Moore did on defense while at UConn.

As a freshman, he locked down Iverson in the BET Tourney finals holding him to 13 pts but just 2 pts in the 2nd half of that game. He had shoulder issues and a suspension that held him back some as a sophomore.

As a junior and mostly as a senior? He was the definition of lockdown. It's tough to find old box scores, but he was essentially like an NFL cornerback like Darrelle Revis that would just eliminate someone on offense completely. Castle is really, really good with great potential. Ricky Moore was elite.

If you watch the last minute of the first title game vs Duke, when El Amin shoots that 2nd FT, you see Moore get in William Avery's shirt at the top of the arc, forcing them to inbound it to Langdon (not their best ball handler), then you can watch Moore glove up Avery until Langdon crossed half court where they converged on him and he travelled. I've always thought those little edges and details were what he brought every game that went unheralded and unnoticed regularly.

Just like the job he did against AI in the BET championship game, brilliant defender

Reaction Score
People often forget how good of an on-ball defender Marcus Johnson was.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
I'm comparing skill sets, not careers. Castle's ability to stay in front of opposing teams best guards and wings and impact their ability to score is at an incredible level. Every bit as good as what Ricky did but with the ability to do it against multiple positions.
Okay. Fair.

When Jaylin Stewart hit three 3s against Depaul? We haven’t had anyone with that skill set since Rashad Anderson.

Reaction Score
It's fun to watch when his man gets the ball. He is a 6-6 pest on the floor. He is very tough to get the ball over in the paint. He is so sound defensively. He is not flashy and I don't think he gets very many steals.

Last night when he poked the ball out of bounds in the back court, Moore came to mind. Diarra is a very good defender but for my money Castle is the best we've seen since Ricky.
You can count on whoever Castle is guarding is going to have a long day. So strong. Can guard 1-4. Never makes unnecessary reach fouls. Seldom in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Until Stephon causes a travel on the last play of a natty game to win it for UConn, I am a Ricky man. :)

Ricky was quicker but Castle is stronger and more suited to the NBA.
Castle is stronger than Ricky for sure, how much stronger? I don't know, because Ricky was strong as an ox. You never saw Ricky get pushed around in the games. I know from playing pickup games in the Gampel-adjacent Field House in 1996 I tried bull my way to the basket when he was guarding me and it was like hitting a brick wall. Mind you, I am only 170 pounds, but still.

Reaction Score
It's fun to watch when his man gets the ball. He is a 6-6 pest on the floor. He is very tough to get the ball over in the paint. He is so sound defensively. He is not flashy and I don't think he gets very many steals.

Last night when he poked the ball out of bounds in the back court, Moore came to mind. Diarra is a very good defender but for my money Castle is the best we've seen since Ricky.
The Harrison twins would like a word with you.

Reaction Score
Hassan is Napier/Boatwright level of guard good.

Stephon is a Ricky Moore/Lyman DePriest level of defender and given that he can guard so many positions effectively he might be the best defensive man to man player UConn has ever had.
Andre has to be mentioned here

Reaction Score
Andre has to be mentioned here
Andre would get beat a lot because he had a habit of standing straight up but his recovery ability was insane.

Reaction Score
I'm a big Castle fan, but more than anything, this thread discredits just what Ricky Moore did on defense while at UConn.

As a freshman, he locked down Iverson in the BET Tourney finals holding him to 13 pts but just 2 pts in the 2nd half of that game. He had shoulder issues and a suspension that held him back some as a sophomore.

As a junior and mostly as a senior? He was the definition of lockdown. It's tough to find old box scores, but he was essentially like an NFL cornerback like Darrelle Revis that would just eliminate someone on offense completely. Castle is really, really good with great potential. Ricky Moore was elite.

If you watch the last minute of the first title game vs Duke, when El Amin shoots that 2nd FT, you see Moore get in William Avery's shirt at the top of the arc, forcing them to inbound it to Langdon (not their best ball handler), then you can watch Moore glove up Avery until Langdon crossed half court where they converged on him and he travelled. I've always thought those little edges and details were what he brought every game that went unheralded and unnoticed regularly.

Lol you left out Duke's previous possession, which was an even more spectacular defensive stop. Langdon with the ball and the chance for the lead, and Ricky Moore straight up humiliated him.

That one had a much bigger impact on our win probability. But somehow the geniuses at CBS never showed a replay during the broadcast, so it is not as well remembered. Out of all the people in the production, only Billy Packer understood what had happened.

Thank goodness for YouTube--now I can go watch that possession whenever I want.

Reaction Score
Lol you left out Duke's previous possession, which was an even more spectacular defensive stop. Langdon with the ball and the chance for the lead, and Ricky Moore straight up humiliated him.

That one had a much bigger impact on our win probability. But somehow the geniuses at CBS never showed a replay during the broadcast, so it is not as well remembered. Out of all the people in the production, only Billy Packer understood what had happened.

the only downside is; you have to listen to Packer again.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
the only downside is; you have to listen to Packer again.

Lol true.

Packer was normally a cranky, judgmental scold. Usually tough to take. But he had two moments that I will always love:

The call on that Ricky Moore stop.

And his beef with Phil Martelli in 2004. He made some comments prior to the tourney that St. Joe's had no business being a 1 seed, and Coach Martelli lost it. That was some great beef!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I always remember Dyson for playing hard D. Did i rewrite history?
Think junior year Dyson was a really good defender and locked in.

I remember Boatright and Kemba coming in picking up guys full court during their freshman year giving them hell. Boatright especially had a knack for those reach around rips and steals in general.

Reaction Score
Castle has the ability to do something special Sunday shutting down kadary. He is bigger and stronger than all the great guard defenders the boneyard is fighting about. Just be glad we have him. His defense will be the difference against seton hall. Feel free to chastise me if i am wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom