Carlton, Whaley, Vital | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Carlton, Whaley, Vital

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We won the first game of the year without him. I'm giving them that and the Coppin State game.

2-17.

Hahaha fair. My mistake. Coppin's a tough call. They are a 1-19 ball club. Toss up. But I could go with 2-17.

Reaction Score
I would say this, can you imagine how good Jalen would be with proper coaching. I'm willing to bet his attitude (as people seem to harp on) would be better as well. And the kids around him would be better, which would help him even more.

He's the type of kid who could absolutely thrive in the right offense. Run things smoothly all game, and take over only when necessary.
I completely agree. Part of my exchange with Fishy was about, given that KO seems likely to return next season, if Jalen has a good reason to stay another year anyway

Reaction Score
Could be a good nucleus going forward. I hope Jalen is gone along with Larrier and Anderson who are both liabilities at this point (the latter much more so). Hand the reins over to AG and Vital, plug in a couple shooters, and we may have something in a couple years

Not sure how man more "couple years" we have, but that freshman pair and their potential is all the positive we have right now.

Was really impressed by some of the things Carlton was doing today. How many freshmen go for 13/9 (6 offensive), 2 assists, a steal, and a block, shooting 50% from the floor and 3/3 from the line, with no turnovers, against the clear cut #1 team in the country?
my only concern or thoughts on Jalen is that he is basically the same player today as he was his freshman season. he still looks surprised that his team isn't keeping up and doesn't have that "i'll put the team on my back" mentality that other Uconn greats have shown.

he's a talented player no doubt. I wonder how he would have transformed under calhoun's guidance?

Reaction Score
I think another common failed perception of my post is that I think that Vital is going to become some great scorer and lead guard. I simply put him in the nucleus of the team. He will be an important ball handler going forward for us, like it or not. And if he cleans up his efficiency with experience and better shot selection, 12/5/5 shouldn’t be out of the question for him, and that’s a solid piece.

He can't be a key ball handler. That's not a strength for him. If he is playing on the ball, his +/- goes down.

Reaction Score
"I hope Jalen and Larrier gone...."

We have the DUMBEST fans. Truly.

Insane roster upheavel and lack of getting a nucleus playing together for more than a year has all but destroyed our program but yes let's hope 2 of our only talented offensive players are GONE.

"Hand over the reigns to AG..."

Oh yeah, the same AG who has suffered 3 shoulder injuries and hasn't played more than 10 games the last 2 seasons?

Reaction Score
I also don't know how anyone who roots for this team can say they hope Anderson is gone next year, since... you know, it's his last year of eligibility so it's not a conversation to have ever
Didn't read thread. Amazing post.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Your post boils down to this point.

Practicing amongst each other I believe is a highly overrated concept. What matters is in-game reps and experience. And within games, Jalen dominating the ball could absolutely potentially stunt AG’s development. And I think it’s been demonstrated that he does not really have the leadership qualities or potential tutelage which would benefit the younger players. He’s raw athleticism and skill; other players don’t benefit in their development through that.
And I just couldn't disagree with you more.

I think it's backwards logic to say you want him to leave because he hasn't proved himself as a leader. Typically players with talent like Jalen are better, and better for a team, when surrounded by good players.

You'd REALLY rather Jalen left, and rely on a freshman and a kid who's been injured for 2 years? I just don't see how that is beneficial to the program next year, or 3 years from now.

Also, Jalen wouldn't have to dominate the ball if someone else had the capability of scoring like he does. Having Gilbert/Akinjo/Wilson would alleviate that and help the team have a more potent and dynamic offense.

This is probably a useless argument anyway, because Jalen will probably leave. But to say you want our most talented player to leave is blasphemy. He has the talent of a player that could start on a championship team, despite questionable intangibles.

Reaction Score
And I just couldn't disagree with you more.

I think it's backwards logic to say you want him to leave because he hasn't proved himself as a leader. Typically players with talent like Jalen are better, and better for a team, when surrounded by good players.

You'd REALLY rather Jalen left, and rely on a freshman and a kid who's been injured for 2 years? I just don't see how that is beneficial to the program next year, or 3 years from now.

Also, Jalen wouldn't have to dominate the ball if someone else had the capability of scoring like he does. Having Gilbert/Akinjo/Wilson would alleviate that and help the team have a more potent and dynamic offense.

This is probably a useless argument anyway, because Jalen will probably leave. But to say you want our most talented player to leave is blasphemy. He has the talent of a player that could start on a championship team, despite questionable intangibles.

Agree. We saw Anderson today with wide open looks. The team just struggles to score. Plain and simple.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Could be a good nucleus going forward. I hope Jalen is gone along with Larrier and Anderson who are both liabilities at this point (the latter much more so). Hand the reins over to AG and Vital, plug in a couple shooters, and we may have something in a couple years

Not sure how man more "couple years" we have, but that freshman pair and their potential is all the positive we have right now.

Was really impressed by some of the things Carlton was doing today. How many freshmen go for 13/9 (6 offensive), 2 assists, a steal, and a block, shooting 50% from the floor and 3/3 from the line, with no turnovers, against the clear cut #1 team in the country?
Jalen has to come back for this team to have any chance of being competitive next year

Reaction Score
Jalen is being asked to do much. But there is no other alternative. Take him off the floor and our record we have, maybe, three wins.

But I am enjoying this good, old fashion BY meltdown thread. I'm tearing up.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Vital would be a decent second or third player off the bench for a good team. If you’re relying on him to start and play 30+ minutes a game, you’re just not going to be very good.

Wait and see how well this works without Adams next year.

Anyone care to guess what our record would be without him this year?
If his head were always right (doesn't become more of a gunner when his shots aren't falling, doesn't view the post make celebration as more important the following play) he would be a nice third guard or a high quality fourth guard (the current game requires that much depth). The lack of back court depth and dearth of players who could score has worked against his development. He gets away with a lot of the stupidity because there really aren't sufficient options to punish him as JC would have (not sure of KO would even if he did have options).

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Jalen Adams is a liability?

You've lost your mind

Reaction Score
nucleus of carlton whaley and vital? god thats depressing

Vital should be a shooter and spark plug off the bench. That’s fine and I like Vital but if he is our go to guy we are in big(ger) trouble.
But I see no reason why Carlton and Whaley can’t be all conference players as juniors and seniors.

August_West

Reaction Score
my only concern or thoughts on Jalen is that he is basically the same player today as he was his freshman season
He's definitely not. His 3 point shooting hasn't progressed at a rate I would've liked but every other aspect of his offensive game is light years ahead of his frosh year. He really runs the team pretty well, it's not his fault that when running a game plan that it ends up being a bumbling mess after the ball leaves his hands. Which then puts us in a hole, which then forces him to try and do more himself , which then always doesn't turn out well because it's pretty easy for even bad teams to guard 1 player with 5.
Rinse and repeat and there is our season.

August_West

Reaction Score
Please. Read better.
Yeah I read further and you are still bonkers because you then made a case for vital being a 12/5 guy in some future role as a big positive while wanting larrier gone who is giving us 15/5 this year and can actually shoot.
( But can't dribble)

Reaction Score
Jalens got some decisions to make after the season is over. If Uconn wants him back, they need to convince him the team will be different and will be better. I just imagine the fustration he is going through will just keep boiling up having to basically do everything, playing entire games and seeing all the criticism against the team

Reaction Score
I don't know how anyone who roots for this team could type the sentence "I hope Jalen is gone". Honestly, I don't.

I agree that the young nucleus looks good enough to build something with, but we only have one single proven scorer. I'm selfishly hoping he stays for next year...
We dont need a coaching change! We need a change on ideas with the Unversity and this AA football program!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We dont need a coaching change! We need a change on ideas with the Unversity and this AA football program!

What's an AA football program?

Reaction Score
I love Vital’s passion and attitude when playing. I think he has some promise, but he’s not a starter. He’s been starting for us the past 2 years out of necessity. Look at our record the past 2 years. Like mentioned earlier, he’s a perfect 6th man on a good team. Maybe he will prove me wrong next year, but right now? No.

His handle isn’t good enough, doesn’t finish well enough, and his shot is streaky. I’m not gonna get on him too much, because he plays hard and that’s all you can ask for from these guys, but if he’s considered our 3 headed “nucleus” like Boat, Bazz, Daniels? Not sure I sign up for that moving forward. I still like him, I think he plays very hard. I just don’t think he’s a starter if we want to achieve the things we want to as a program moving forward.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom