Carla's Jumbos ranked No. 1 | The Boneyard

Carla's Jumbos ranked No. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
in the D3 preseason poll. Amherst is No. 2. Thomas More's D1 ringer has graduated,
so they have dropped down to No. 4 (but still had more first place votes than Tufts).

Maybe this will be the year that the Jumbos win it all.

Reaction Score
in the D3 preseason poll. Amherst is No. 2. Thomas More's D1 ringer has graduated,
so they have dropped down to No. 4 (but still had more first place votes than Tufts

What makes her a "ringer". I am not aware of anything.

Reaction Score
WBCA Preseason poll has Thomas More at 5th, with only one 1st place vote to Tufts' four (Tufts ranked #1)

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
What makes her a "ringer". I am not aware of anything.
Moss was a former Florida Gator who transferred to Thomas More.

It's not an unusual story - folks for whom DI isn't a good fit find top teams within the DII/III/NAIA ranks.

Reaction Score
Moss was a former Florida Gator who transferred to Thomas More.

It's not an unusual story - folks for whom DI isn't a good fit find top teams within the DII/III/NAIA ranks.

Thanks. I knew her story, but I see nothing in it that would justify calling her a ringer. She probably was a great D1 fit - excelling at Floruda as a freshman - but was homesick. Her Florida coach refused to give her a waiver to transfer to any D1 schools reasonably near her home. Thus she ended up at Thomas More.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
what is a ringer?

geesh, nevermind (just looked it up)

seems kind of harsh to call someone that, ya think?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Harsh? I don't typically view it as an insult.

Neither do I, though maybe some view a ringer as a few of the linemen and Spear Chucker Jones in the original movie Mash! Ithink that was the best blocking I ever saw out of a few of those old NFLers. Just kidding: Ben Davidson, maybe Alex Karras and a few others on the General's ringer team. Sitting on the bench, smoking weed. Ah, I grow nostalgic , time to leave.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In the interest of continuing my unworthy digression I offer the full cast of Mash, which lists a whole bunch of NFL greats in the cast. Like Joe Capp. He gave you all a big old grin in the movie, maybe even a wink.

MASH (1970) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb

Reaction Score
Harsh? I don't typically view it as an insult.

All definitions of a ringer are negative, a person who is fraudulently brought onto a team or one who cheats or lies to illegally play on a team. For example:

Top Definition. ringer. Any type of contestant in a game who is entered in order to cheat. For example, a professional bowler who plays in an amateur bowling match.

Reaction Score
All definitions of a ringer are negative, a person who is fraudulently brought onto a team or one who cheats or lies to illegally play on a team. For example:

Top Definition. ringer. Any type of contestant in a game who is entered in order to cheat. For example, a professional bowler who plays in an amateur bowling match.

That may be the official definition but I'd argue the colloquial use is often more benign.

Reaction Score
I asked a dozen sports fans, and none had ever heard a benign meaning. As the dictionary says, it implies some sort of fraud.

Reaction Score
I asked a dozen sports fans, and none had ever heard a benign meaning. As the dictionary says, it implies some sort of fraud.

You've never played a game - say bowling, pool, cards -- against someone for the first time, and that person has played well and you've joked that they're a ringer?

I've heard ringer used in this joking sense far far far more than I have ever it heard it used in its original meaning.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sydney Moss is the daughter of uber-athletic former NFL wide receiver Randy Moss. She was ranked as the #50 overall player in her class by HoopGurlz and signed with the University of Florida. She was clearly an anomaly in Division III.

One definition of "ringer" is: "A person who is highly proficient at a particular skill or sport and is brought in to supplement a team or group of people." I don't think that is necessarily negative. Clearly it addresses a disparity is skill.

Reaction Score
Sydney Moss is the daughter of uber-athletic former NFL wide receiver Randy Moss. She was ranked as the #50 overall player in her class by HoopGurlz and signed with the University of Florida. She was clearly an anomaly in Division III.

Yes, definitely an anomaly - which was 100% due to the Florida coach blocking her from the D1 schools near her home.

Those who know Randy Moss won't be surprised that he hasn't been part of her life.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
One of my favorite moments of the compiled congratulatory video for Geno on 900 victories was CB opening her statements as "Coach Berube here." I love her In New England and hope she brings another championship to the region.

Reaction Score
Played about 250 games of softball a year for about 20 years. On weekends we played in tournaments all over New England and there were times some of our players couldnt make it. So we would recruit players who lived in that area where we wer playing that we got to know or some of the best players from one of the leagues we played in. Just about everyone played college or semi-pro baseball and were incredible athletes and alot of other teams did this also. When a team knows your roster and you have a couple new players you normally dont have that can hit a ball 350 ft. every time or could play defense like Brook Robinson they were considered ringers. For our team it was just for tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom