Carla Berube would have to be front runner to replace Geno | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Carla Berube would have to be front runner to replace Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn has 2 chances to get Dawn Staley: fat and slim.
Maybe so but my point is go after the best coach avaliable. If that happens to be Berube or Ralph great but whatever you do don't box yourself in with feeling an obligation to an alumn if there's better people out there.

Reaction Score
Aside from when Shea was at UConn what big-time recruits has she brought to Vandy? And I'm not sure which UConn recruits she was responsible for bringing to UConn? So it's difficult to say which of the two would be the better recruiter (to my mind anyway). I'd lean towards Carla.

Reaction Score
I like Dawn but she has it made at South Carolina. She has made herself and the school a success story. She is an awesome conference. She can recruit with the best of them. She attracts people to games like no other at this time. Not to say that UConn would not be a fit. But, why on earth would she want to leave one of the two money conferences to coach in the Big East? No way…

Reaction Score
Don’t want to upset anyone, but I just don’t see either of them coming here. They’re both in highly stable environments, and UConn is anything but in today’s conference alignment and realignment. Who knows what tomorrow brings?
Agree for sure re Shea she has built the winning program in three years and
She is starting to get some highly recruited players
And can see her teams being perennially in the tournament
To leave that for UConn after Geno and all that comes with that would not seem to be a good career move

Re CB leaving Princeton could possibly see it
But she is in a great situation where she could coach there for the next 20 years
Maybe the idea of competing on the national level
Would be of interest

Maybe the current coach a Fairfield would be a possibility but I suspect she will be moving to
A higher level very soon
Unlike the men’s game there are not a lot of candidates for a top position like Uconn

Anyway ENJOY THE RIDE WHILE GENO HERE
as it will be uncharted territory when he leaves
I hope after the season the signs a new 4 year
Contract!!

Reaction Score
I know most of us want to keep it within the UConn family, but I am one who thinks we should be more open to those outside.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Carla has proven herself to be an excellent, winning coach at all the levels in which she has participated.
Her team plays like a Jr. varsity UConn.

Shea is doing well, but the jury is still out.

Listen to Carla's post-game interviews: a model of rationality and reasonableness...she even sounds like Geno.

if the decision was to be made soon...next few years...Carla clearly would get the call.

A word about Dawn's recruiting...the Olympic coach has huge advantages.

Reaction Score
Carla has proven herself to be an excellent, winning coach at all the levels in which she has participated.
Her team plays like a Jr. varsity UConn.

Shea is doing well, but the jury is still out.

Listen to Carla's post-game interviews: a model of rationality and reasonableness...she even sounds like Geno.

if the decision was to be made soon...next few years...Carla clearly would get the call.

A word about Dawn's recruiting...the Olympic coach has huge advantages.
Except Staley is not the Olympic coach. Cheryl Reeve is. And she's a WNBA coach.

Reaction Score
As interesting as the names of Shea Ralph, Carla Berube, Jeff Walz, to replace Geno Auriemma sounds, all 3 are well respected and built their current programs to really being successful and in the case of Shea to follow a horrible year of injuries and loses to being competitive in the SEC, where Vandy used to be!
I don't see Jeff Walz leaving Louisville! He's a God there!
They may not want to give up a program they've worked really hard to build up for the frying pan that the UConn job is!
Then again for Shea and Carla to take over their old school might be the ultimate challenge!
Usually following a LEGEND doesn't work out well!

Reaction Score
we need to clone Geno and CD....NOW! So they will be ready when the time comes.

Reaction Score
Aside from when Shea was at UConn what big-time recruits has she brought to Vandy? And I'm not sure which UConn recruits she was responsible for bringing to UConn? So it's difficult to say which of the two would be the better recruiter (to my mind anyway). I'd lean towards Carla.
SHEA RALPH is making a point with turning around the Women's Program!
Check the team's record... They are playing in the SEC! (as an additional point).
I like Shea and Carla.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
You get the best coach out there. Go after Dawn Staley.
I guess UConn really blew it when they went after Calhoun, Auriemma or Hurley, all of whom showed potential but had not yet demonstrated their recruiting or coaching ability as head coach in a major conference.

Head coaches that successfully build major programs do not tend to leave them, save for their alma mater. You might get a Pitino, but not a Calhoun or Auriemma. Daley is no Pitino.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just got the commit last month

82336F21-C373-4C8D-8670-A497F7D8DFE0.jpeg

Reaction Score
I would like to see Dawn Staley. SHE can really recruit, especially the bigs and take less than great players and turn them into championship contenders in a tough league.
That would be like Geno going to Tennessee to replace Pat Summit. She won't leave what she has for what she would think was a lateral move at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom