Cardoso Visit? | The Boneyard

Cardoso Visit?

Reaction Score
Is there a set date of when she is visiting? Not sure if I missed this or not...

Reaction Score
Strike the 10/25 weekend as she is scheduled to be on a visit to South Carolina w/ her mom and sister, who will make their way up from Brazil. This according to her HS coach Keisha Hunt from an interview given to a Gamecock focused podcast in mid September.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I trust and hope that it has been or will be pointed out to Kamilla that there are tons of Portuguese-speaking people living in the CT-MA area, with large Portuguese/Brasilian communities in places like Hartford, Waterbury, Stonington, Fall River, New Bedford, Ludlow, Gloucester, Provincetown. No way can South Carolina or any other top-flight school match this.
Hope too that the staff uses the proper spelling for Brasil . . .

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I trust and hope that it has been or will be pointed out to Kamilla that there are tons of Portuguese-speaking people living in the CT-MA area, with large Portuguese/Brasilian communities in places like Hartford, Waterbury, Stonington, Fall River, New Bedford, Ludlow, Gloucester, Provincetown. No way can South Carolina or any other top-flight school match this.
While that’s a nice thought, I don’t think there are very many former USVI residents living in Columbia, SC either, and that did not appear to be a factor in Aliyah Boston’s decision.

I sincerely hope that UConn wins the recruiting battle for Cardosa. If the Huskies come out on top, I strongly suspect that the key factors will be the connection Cardosa makes with Geno and the players, along with her desire to win championships while developing her game under the best coaching staff in WBB, and maybe, just maybe, the prospect of playing 4 years with Paige and the rest of UConn’s incredibly talented group of “dime dropping” g/w’s.

Last edited:

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score

Once we all learn the proper Brazilian spelling of Brasil, we might even consider
learning to stop mangling the young lady's last name, which is not "Cardosa".

It's ok to call her Kamilla Soares, or Kamilla Soares Cardoso Silva, or, to keep it simple for us folk who are not accustomed to last names with both matronymic and patronymic components, Kamilla Cardoso.

If you think this is much ado about nothing, consider your own likely reaction when a TN fan calls our coach "Gino" or "Auriemo".

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Once we all learn the proper Brazilian spelling of Brasil, we might even consider
It's ok to call her Kamilla Soares, or Kamilla Soares Cardoso Silva, or, to keep it simple for us folk who are not accustomed to last names with both matronymic and patronymic components, Kamilla Cardoso.

If you think this is much ado about nothing, consider your own likely reaction when a TN fan calls our coach "Gino" or "Auriemo".
???
1570297021668.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

?????
1570297140608.png

Reaction Score
There are endless articles with the Cardoso spelling...

Cardoso is a common name in Brasil. Fernando Henrique Cardoso was President of Brasil in the 90's.

Reaction Score
Some to the largest Portuguese speaking communities are outside of Boston, such as Framingham. Gloucester and Fall River have longer histories; Framingham more people.

Reaction Score
learning to stop mangling the young lady's last name, which is not "Cardosa". . .

Your point about spelling the young lady's name correctly is well taken, but perhaps
you're being pedantic when you insist that we must spell Brazil as the Brazilians spell it.

Or must we adopt the native spelling of places like Munich, Cologne, Vienna, Milan, Venice,
Florence, Rome, Italy, Germany, Spain, and Austria (to name a few)?

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Your point about spelling the young lady's name correctly is well taken, but perhaps
you're being pedantic when you insist that we must spell Brazil as the Brazilians spell it.

Or must we adapt the native spelling of places like Munich, Cologne, Vienna, Milan, Venice,
Florence, Rome, Italy, Germany, Spain, and Austria (to name a few)?
If you take the time to reread what @Sifaka wrote, you will see that the "Brasil" spelling is something @Geosfun was requesting of the UConn staff. Sifaka was pointing out that the young lady might be at least as impressed with the correct spelling of her name as with the "correct" spelling of her country. So perhaps Sifaka is less pedantic than you are overly censorious. ;)

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Mineira de Montes Claros, Kamilla Soares se destaca no basquete dos EUA

A mineira Kamilla Soares Cardoso Silva, de Montes Claros, está chamando a atenção nos EUA. Com apenas 17 anos e 2 metros de altura, a pivô brasileira atualmente estuda e joga pela Hamilton Heights Christian Academy, uma High School na cidade de Chattanooga, no estado do Tenneesse. A jovem foi considerada umas das três melhores jogadoras dos EUA nessa temporada em sua categoria, segundo a ESPN.

ESPN has it wrong.
When I want foreign language spelling advice, I avoid Prospects Nation.
FIBA calls the young lady Kamilla Silva, yet some folk trust sports organizations and leeches as models of orthography.

As you wish.

The text above is from a Brazilian source: Mineira de Montes Claros, Kamilla Soares se destaca no basquete dos EUA

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
There are endless articles with the Cardoso spelling...

Cardoso is a common name in Brasil. Fernando Henrique Cardoso was President of Brasil in the 90's.

You can fight about Brazil and Brasil, but we are speaking English here. Since we're arguing language here, it's '90s, not 90's. :cool:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Mineira de Montes Claros, Kamilla Soares se destaca no basquete dos EUA

A mineira Kamilla Soares Cardoso Silva, de Montes Claros, está chamando a atenção nos EUA. Com apenas 17 anos e 2 metros de altura, a pivô brasileira atualmente estuda e joga pela Hamilton Heights Christian Academy, uma High School na cidade de Chattanooga, no estado do Tenneesse. A jovem foi considerada umas das três melhores jogadoras dos EUA nessa temporada em sua categoria, segundo a ESPN.

ESPN has it wrong.
When I want foreign language spelling advice, I avoid Prospects Nation.
FIBA calls the young lady Kamilla Silva, yet some folk trust sports organizations and leeches as models of orthography.
As you wish.

The text above is from a Brazilian source: Mineira de Montes Claros, Kamilla Soares se destaca no basquete dos EUA
Here is the thing though, "some folks" didn't go to ESPN or Prospectsnation for foreign language advice. Some folks were simply repeating what was printed there. Not sure why you are so triggered & think there was offense intended and why those sports organizations are now "leeches" or non-models of orthography-whatever the hell that means. Bluestar has her listed as Cardoso, are they not leeches and models of orthography?

Reaction Score
You can fight about Brazil and Brasil, but we are speaking English here. However, it's '90s, not 90's. :cool:
Who the hell cares?? I’m not fighting about anything. Having been to Brasil about 20 times, I spell it like they spell it, but I didn’t say anything about it. No big deal, but however small of a deal this is, how I punctuate 90s is order-of-magnitude smaller.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Rather than arguing about how to spell Kamilla’s last name, why don’t we all wait and see how she spells her name when she signs her UConn NLI. :cool:

If she doesn’t sign a UConn NLI, who cares how she spells her name?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Rather than arguing about how to spell Kamilla’s last name, why don’t we all wait and see how she spells her name when she signs her UConn NLI.
If she doesn’t sign a UConn NLI, who cares how she spells her name?
:DSounds good...except now I'd don't know if I went to Brazil of Brasil and it wasn't even that long ago. :eek:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Her name has been spelled both ways, for years as Cardosa and then more recently as Cardoso. Her family may have changed the spelling along the way. Many if not most of those who scout or report on girls HS basketball still use the "a" form. Perhaps she will clear it up at some point, but I don't believe it's a misspelling issue since both forms are used.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Split the difference. Cardose
That sounds like something you need either dramamine or penicillin for. I hereby reject that one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom