• No

Votes: 165 69.0%
  • No, but I could back in the day.

Votes: 59 24.7%

• Total voters

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I caught one garbage looking alley oop while warming up for a pickup game on a rim that had to have been 9’6” and was slanted downwards.

So to answer your question no.

Reaction Score
I'm 5'10" and used to be able to get a finger on the rim but could never get any higher than that.

One of my old friends from school was the same height as me and could dunk rather easily (he was white too)..pretty impressive to watch lol

Reaction Score
Many years ago, I actually threw down with a monstrous dunk in front of a big crowd, in a big game.

My wife was there and immediately shook me awoke, telling me I was flailing my arms in bed.
LOL, I take clonazepam for that now. Booted the poor dog off the bed too many times.

Reaction Score
5-10, I've dunked a volleyball, could never grip a basketball with one hand and did not jump high enough to cradle the ball. That was a looooooong time ago. Now I can touch the bottom of the net without much trouble, given a running start :)

Reaction Score
Creating this poll off CliffSpliffy's comment below.

Right now, can you dunk a regulation men's basketball on a regulation hoop? I would guess the Yes result is 5% or less. We'll see.
Dunk: The most overrated, overemphasized, overhyped and overly telecast play in basketball. Worth two points.

Lay-up: Worth two points.

Reaction Score
Dunk: The most overrated, overemphasized, overhyped and overly telecast play in basketball. Worth two points.

Addendum: Two free throws are also worth two points. Take note, UConn.

Reaction Score
basketball fall GIF

Reaction Score
Guys,

NYC former hoops freak here - 75 years old now, 6'4" (Was 6'5-1/2" - HA!)
  • 1st dunk - 12 y.o - 7th grade - 5'10"
  • Last dunk - 54 years old, on a metal knee in a league game
  • Played Div. I & Euro pro

I've had both knees & hips replaced, arthritic spine & operations, etc. - all badges of honor for playing 48 years straight. Now, I talk about the Glory Days - HA! Gaining yet more weight sitting around during COVID.

Was one of the lucky white kids w/ hops in the 60's. Used to go into gyms around the city & could hear murmurs of "white boy" in the background. They'd go crazy when I threw down.

First points in high school were typical: At Boys & Girls High School (Brooklyn) They didn't box me out, long missed shot from the corner, two-hand slam "at he top of the square" over the other high-flyers off weak-side rebound.

Because the NCAA thought it would hurt one extraordinary contemporary player named Lewis Alcindor from Power Memorial, dunking was outlawed for ten years after my junior year. We all really missed out for H.S. & college dunks.

I once tip-dunked over Jimmie Walker (Jalen Rose's famous NBA dad) in a summer pro/am tournament at the West 4th Street court near Father Demo Square. And was dunked on incessantly by one Julie Erving, a younger friend from the Island playing 'one-o-cap' many times at Hempstead's Kennedy Park. Sometimes joined by a skinny frequent-flyer from Mineola, a great kid named Bill Corley - ring a bell?

Dunking was once a very special deal when hoops was almost a city cult game for tall kids. Now, everybody can fly, & it's almost a cliche. In Zion's case, it defies physics & gravity.

Father Demo

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
At my peak (literally and figuratively) I could get 2 knuckles above the rim. Not bad for 5'9", but still not close. Nowadays, I can clip the bottom of the net if I'm warmed up.
This could be my answer, and when I read @mauconnfan's, I felt one of the few regrets of my life that I never thought of or tried a tennis or golf ball. I'd much rather have that as my answer.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score

Most amazing IMO is that Carlton can do neither at 6'11".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom