Can WTIC put on a professional broadcast? | The Boneyard

Can WTIC put on a professional broadcast?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My God their coverage is as embarrassing as the games. P6.

Reaction Score
2nd game in a row the microphone or what ever the hell they use in the locker room was bad..thought it was reception..which was odd considering I was in East Hartford and Glastonbury.

Reaction Score
I listened to the entire game yesterday, and it was painful. I honestly don't know how Joe D. keeps the football job - he is flat our awful at football. Literally made a mistake on just about each play call. Just for starters:

- It took him a quarter and half to realize that D'Angelo Brewer was not the Tulsa running back, but that it was Shamari Brooks. Brewer wears #4 and Brooks wears #3! And even after he realized his error, he kept calling Brewer's name!
- In the second quarter, Shirreffs completed a pass to Hergy. Joe D. called it as pass to Mayala, but in the very next breath said, "so Beals with a gain of 12 yards."
- Tulsa missed the field goal just before halftime and Joe D. says, "and the score remains tied."
- More than once, Joe called, "Shirreffs hands off to Hopkins... no excuse me Shirreffs keeps it."
- At the end of the game, Joe says, "Final score UCONN 20, Tulsa 4"

Trust me, there were many, many more.

I wonder if he gets a performance review each year, or if he just keeps the job because he's been the "Voice of the Huskies" for 26 years?

Wayne Norman, nice guy, but all he really does is spit out stats. No real football analysis.

Ken Sweitzer, great quarterback, great guy, but not cut out to be on the radio.

Seriously, other than Bob Joyce, the entire broadcast is embarrassing.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I kind of like Joe D on football just because of the nostalgia. I remember listening to him call the games from the time I was like 9 years old (that's when I really first started listening). I listened to portions of the Tulsa game and didn't really notice anything, but I wasn't really focusing too much on the broadcast

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Not sure who the sideline reporter is, but he sounds kind of senile

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not sure who the sideline reporter is, but he sounds kind of senile

LOL. I never thought I’d listen to a broadcast and think - wow this worse than Kevin Nathan.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I like Joe D's voice - but don't like the way he calls football. I like him for hoops.

That's kind of how I feel about it as well. I think he tries to do the job, but it's not his bread and butter. I definitely think he calls a good basketball game, though...

Reaction Score
That's kind of how I feel about it as well. I think he tries to do the job, but it's not his bread and butter. I definitely think he calls a good basketball game, though...
I like Joe D's voice - but don't like the way he calls football. I like him for hoops.
Benedict really needs to find a new play-by-play guy for football and hockey... let Joe D stick to hoops

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Benedict really needs to find a new play-by-play guy for football and hockey... let Joe D stick to hoops

At least I appreciate that he yells, "Touchdown Connecticut!!!" at the top of his lungs...

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I listened to the entire game yesterday, and it was painful. I honestly don't know how Joe D. keeps the football job - he is flat our awful at football. Literally made a mistake on just about each play call. Just for starters:

- It took him a quarter and half to realize that D'Angelo Brewer was not the Tulsa running back, but that it was Shamari Brooks. Brewer wears #4 and Brooks wears #3! And even after he realized his error, he kept calling Brewer's name!
- In the second quarter, Shirreffs completed a pass to Hergy. Joe D. called it as pass to Mayala, but in the very next breath said, "so Beals with a gain of 12 yards."
- Tulsa missed the field goal just before halftime and Joe D. says, "and the score remains tied."
- More than once, Joe called, "Shirreffs hands off to Hopkins... no excuse me Shirreffs keeps it."
- At the end of the game, Joe says, "Final score UCONN 20, Tulsa 4"

Trust me, there were many, many more.

I wonder if he gets a performance review each year, or if he just keeps the job because he's been the "Voice of the Huskies" for 26 years?

Wayne Norman, nice guy, but all he really does is spit out stats. No real football analysis.

Ken Sweitzer, great quarterback, great guy, but not cut out to be on the radio.

Seriously, other than Bob Joyce, the entire broadcast is embarrassing.
Joe D is constantly calling plays like “1st and 10 from their own 20. Screen up the sideline to Dixon for 4. 2nd and 1 on the 50.” Impossible to follow the games on the radio.

Reaction Score
At least I appreciate that he yells, "Touchdown Connecticut!!!" at the top of his lungs...
Shouldn't he be yelling " touchdown Uconn " , because that's the brand the school's been using for several years now?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Shouldn't he be yelling " touchdown Uconn " , because that's the brand the school's been using for several years now?

Is....is this a serious question?

Let's pretend that it's a serious question and not just being funny: this is the University of Connecticut. No branding effort will ever change that, outside of an institutional change like the one we had when we transformed the Connecticut Agricultural College. You want to only put the word "UCONN" on our hats and stuff? No problem. But we still remain the University of Connecticut. So Joe D can yell "Touchdown ___!!!" with the following answers in no particular order:

1) Connecticut
2) UConn
3) Huskies
4) name of the player who scored it

The word Connecticut is in our fight song, for crying out loud!

Now if you were just being funny, just ignore all the stuff I wrote above... ;)

Reaction Score

Let's pretend that it's a serious question and not just being funny: this is the University of Connecticut. No branding effort will ever change that, outside of an institutional change like the one we had when we transformed the Connecticut Agricultural College. You want to only put the word "UCONN" on our hats and stuff? No problem. But we still remain the University of Connecticut. So Joe D can yell "Touchdown ___!!!" with the following answers in no particular order:

1) Connecticut
2) UConn
3) Huskies

OK. lol :cool:.

Reaction Score

1) Connecticut
2) UConn
3) Huskies

I think it's a serious question. Which is why I am still miffed at the amount of effort and marketing dollars the University spent to be re-branded as UCONN. I don't disagree with your opinion of "Connecticut" vs "UCONN" ... I just think the school should tell their play by play radio guy about how they want to be

Type "UCONN" into the search tool at ESPN3 replays ....

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I think it's a serious question. Which is why I am still miffed at the amount of effort and marketing dollars the University spent to be re-branded as UCONN. I don't disagree with your opinion of "Connecticut" vs "UCONN" ... I just think the school should tell their play by play radio guy about how they want to be

Type "UCONN" into the search tool at ESPN3 replays ....

There's a large difference between a rebranding effort and a radio voice that has been doing our sports games for 30 odd years. Joe D has been a part of this university for multiple ADs, multiple presidents,... even multiple logos.

Call me old fashioned, I guess, but I think it's beyond silly to get mad at someone using the word Connecticut during a University of Connecticut event...

Reaction Score
Joe D really just needs to be relegated to one sport, probably MBB.

TIC in general is a shell of its former glory, it's really kind of sad.
Owned by Fox. Nuff said.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom