Can Tennessee compete with UConn? | The Boneyard

Can Tennessee compete with UConn?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
New coach, new system, taking about 4 players from the portal, Caldwell's run and gun system will be a game of turnovers with all these new players who haven't played together. This kind of offence requires chemistry, something they will not have next year.

Reaction Score
The answer is no... for obvious reasons. Their initial objective should be to gain solid footing within their conference. I'm not opposed to the game, but for a while it won't have the same fire.

Reaction Score
No lol Hell no especially not next year at least. Unless they land Barker like they keep barking about.

Reaction Score
No lol Hell no especially not next year at least. Unless they land Barker like they keep barking about.
Barker would be a great fit for them, sort of like a big Jordan Horston.

Reaction Score
Eventually I would say yes. UConn last to a team last season that wasn't close to them in talent but could apply pressure. Tennessee will be one of the best coached teams out there and I don't know who they got in the portal but I would assume the coach got players that fit what she wants to run.

As far as chemistry is concerned I would say they have plenty of time to learn the system and just because they play fast doesn't mean they can't take care of the ball too. I would be surprised if UConn loses to them next season but I am thinking Tennessee finally got the quality of coach they need to bring them back to Summit level success.

Reaction Score
Eventually I would say yes. UConn last to a team last season that wasn't close to them in talent but could apply pressure. Tennessee will be one of the best coached teams out there and I don't know who they got in the portal but I would assume the coach got players that fit what she wants to run.

As far as chemistry is concerned I would say they have plenty of time to learn the system and just because they play fast doesn't mean they can't take care of the ball too. I would be surprised if UConn loses to them next season but I am thinking Tennessee finally got the quality of coach they need to bring them back to Summit level success.
“Best coached” against Geno?? Nah.

Reaction Score

Caldwell’s team lost to a Kitley-less VTech. She’s not going to be one of the best coaches in the NCAA.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Not arguing, honestly curious here, but what are your criteria for "best coached"? Marshall had the #33 best offense and #280 best defense against the #141 strength of schedule. Last year, Tennessee with Coach Harper had the #11 ranked offense and #48 ranked defense and the #3 strength of schedule.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Way too many unknown's with the new coaching staff. IMHO she was an underwhelming hire. She may turn out to be fine, or even really good, but the jury is still out on it.

Harper's teams may not have been great on paper (ie. filled with top recruits), but they were competitive. Sure they could mystifyingly lose to random teams, but being a whisper away from beating SC last year spoke volumes about how their length and athleticism could impact a game.

Not sure how psyched Tennessee fans are about their portal gets. They seem underwhelming to me. And their "best" recruit on paper now is I think... Kaniya Boyd? in the 30's? That would be great for a team like DePaul, but Tennessee fans have higher expectations/aspirations.

They lost 3/5 of their starting lineup - Jackson, Powell, Striplin. They now have a roster of 10. Spear, Puckett, Winn and Wells are all seniors. 2025-2026 could be even worse. I just don't know how they can be competitive. Especially not against UConn. In fact, I 'd not be surprised to see Vandy pass them by this coming season. Their previously highest level recruit, Pissot at #11, left Tennessee for Vandy. I'm guessing Tenn is a bubble team for the NCAA's at this point? Maybe on the outside looking in?

What am I missing? Who do Tennessee fans expect to be key contributors next season? Not a good sign that they struck out in the portal with so many glaring needs. Time will tell regarding recruits the next few years.

Reaction Score
Way too many unknown's with the new coaching staff. IMHO she was an underwhelming hire. She may turn out to be fine, or even really good, but the jury is still out on it.

Harper's teams may not have been great on paper (ie. filled with top recruits), but they were competitive. Sure they could mystifyingly lose to random teams, but being a whisper away from beating SC last year spoke volumes about how their length and athleticism could impact a game.

Not sure how psyched Tennessee fans are about their portal gets. They seem underwhelming to me. And their "best" recruit on paper now is I think... Kaniya Boyd? in the 30's? That would be great for a team like DePaul, but Tennessee fans have higher expectations/aspirations.

They lost 3/5 of their starting lineup - Jackson, Powell, Striplin. They now have a roster of 10. Spear, Puckett, Winn and Wells are all seniors. 2025-2026 could be even worse. I just don't know how they can be competitive. Especially not against UConn. In fact, I 'd not be surprised to see Vandy pass them by this coming season. Their previously highest level recruit, Pissot at #11, left Tennessee for Vandy. I'm guessing Tenn is a bubble team for the NCAA's at this point? Maybe on the outside looking in?

What am I missing? Who do Tennessee fans expect to be key contributors next season? Not a good sign that they struck out in the portal with so many glaring needs. Time will tell regarding recruits the next few years.
Spear was supposed to be a good pick up for them last year because she was a great scorer in the ACC. She didn't entirely live up to their standard. Puckett could be good at times, but no one on that team is consistent.

Reaction Score
I think the Vols have a serious thrashing coming next season. Still, I have to say, the coaching change was long overdue. Harper, while a decent person, was completely out of her depth in trying to return Tennessee to the glorious past! She simply was not up to the job, both in the coaching and (especially) the recruiting areas. I was a little taken aback at their choice for her replacement but I’m not going to sell this new coach short. She seems to be a serious winner and it would not surprise me to see Tennessee back with the big girls in a relatively short time. However, for at least the next few years, Tenn (and this author) is going to quickly see that UConn is still one of the big dogs in women’s basketball.

Reaction Score
Can Tennessee compete with UConn? Great question. On paper? No. On the hardwood, where it matters. I would like to say No again. Nobody knows the heart of the Lady Vols, especially this new wave of Lady Vol players and new coach. We know we got some Dawgs with our UConn squad. They have the biggest hearts and mentally tough. We don't know the DNA of the Lady Vol players. Again, I like to think that we will out work and out compete any team out there, but I saw what Coach Caldwell did with Marshall and with those players she had. All it takes is the right spark and the right setting...we will see. Remember, they ain't got nothing to lose.

Reaction Score
My immediate response would be no but we have to remember that, 1. They are still Tennessee, and, 2. They are a member of a power five conference.

Reaction Score
I like to think that we will out work and out compete any team out there,
This is such an interesting thought. Geno has had many superstars. But the distinctive feature of his teams was their commitment to hard work, especially on defense. That’s the hardest thing to recruit for and it’s always been Geno’s main focus. It also why CD is always on the players about body language and attire. It’s about self-discipline. It’s what they teach up there in Storrs.

This is also why I said a few weeks back that the starters in November would be the starters from last season — Paige KK and Ash — plus Jana and Azzi (if she’s ready) or Ice. This is the group that understands the defense best… except of course for Jana, but she’s the one Geno needs to master it soonest.

Back to the question of work: no one returning worked harder than Paige KK and Ash last season. Heck, they carried a wounded team to the final four almost entirely on effort, especially on defense. Geno wants every new kid on the roster to emulate them and he’s going to use every tool at his disposal to make them examples.

How quickly will Sarah Allie Kaitlyn and Morgan learn this lesson and master the defense? I’m inclined to think it will be very quickly. After all, Geno recruited them for this virtue in particular. They each have major talent. Allie as a shooter, Morgan as a passer defender and all-around hustler, Kaitlyn as a passer defender midrange shooter, and Sarah in shooting passing rebounding. But it will be the defense that gets them into the main rotation.

I think Q and Ice understand already how to get into the rotation, as do Aubrey Caroline and Ayanna. What remains to be seen for Q is whether she can expand her game into better onball defense and transition offense. For Ice it’s whether she can move her feet better in the low post to avoid fouling, and can she develop more aggressive low post moves on offense. She can’t default to fade-aways and perimeter shooting. Geno wants her to stop shying away from contact. She can do this. She just needs to recover that confidence.

Reaction Score
This is such an interesting thought. Geno has had many superstars. But the distinctive feature of his teams was their commitment to hard work, especially on defense. That’s the hardest thing to recruit for and it’s always been Geno’s main focus. It also why CD is always on the players about body language and attire. It’s about self-discipline. It’s what they teach up there in Storrs.

This is also why I said a few weeks back that the starters in November would be the starters from last season — Paige KK and Ash — plus Jana and Azzi (if she’s ready) or Ice. This is the group that understands the defense best… except of course for Jana, but she’s the one Geno needs to master it soonest.

Back to the question of work: no one returning worked harder than Paige KK and Ash last season. Heck, they carried a wounded team to the final four almost entirely on effort, especially on defense. Geno wants every new kid on the roster to emulate them and he’s going to use every tool at his disposal to make them examples.

How quickly will Sarah Allie Kaitlyn and Morgan learn this lesson and master the defense? I’m inclined to think it will be very quickly. After all, Geno recruited them for this virtue in particular. They each have major talent. Allie as a shooter, Morgan as a passer defender and all-around hustler, Kaitlyn as a passer defender midrange shooter, and Sarah in shooting passing rebounding. But it will be the defense that gets them into the main rotation.

I think Q and Ice understand already how to get into the rotation, as do Aubrey Caroline and Ayanna. What remains to be seen for Q is whether she can expand her game into better onball defense and transition offense. For Ice it’s whether she can move her feet better in the low post to avoid fouling, and can she develop more aggressive low post moves on offense. She can’t default to fade-aways and perimeter shooting. Geno wants her to stop shying away from contact. She can do this. She just needs to recover that confidence.
Sarah’s mere presence in the paint is dominant. She’ll out rebound anyone without asking. She’ll shoot the 3. Her (not exact) quote when she committed was something like “I don’t care. I’m willing to do anything.”

Kaitlyn is experienced with a division of the Geno system. Coached under Berube, a former UCONN player. Berube stated her program was built similarly to UCONN. I trust that Kaitlyn will be able to integrate well, especially since she was the best defender in the Ivy IMHO.

Morgan and Allie have a good work ethic. I’ve seen highlights where Morgan is always hustling. There’s one where she races across the perimeter to block a shot down below. Her handles are terrific. Great passer. Allie became the best defender on her team, and is always looking to create her own shot, something Geno loves.

Reaction Score
Sarah’s mere presence in the paint is dominant. She’ll out rebound anyone without asking. She’ll shoot the 3. Her (not exact) quote when she committed was something like “I don’t care. I’m willing to do anything.”

Kaitlyn is experienced with a division of the Geno system. Coached under Berube, a former UCONN player. Berube stated her program was built similarly to UCONN. I trust that Kaitlyn will be able to integrate well, especially since she was the best defender in the Ivy IMHO.

Morgan and Allie have a good work ethic. I’ve seen highlights where Morgan is always hustling. There’s one where she races across the perimeter to block a shot down below. Her handles are terrific. Great passer. Allie became the best defender on her team, and is always looking to create her own shot, something Geno loves.
I’ve seen all the same things (and watched a bunch of entire games for Morgan and Allie) so I know the potential is there for the new kids. But only Kaitlyn has experienced something like Geno’s system. I really hope all of them pick it up sooner rather than later. In Geno’s favor is the stratified shape of this season with veterans returning from injury at various points. This could give the new kids more time and space to flourish before March.

Reaction Score
I’ve seen all the same things (and watched a bunch of entire games for Morgan and Allie) so I know the potential is there for the new kids. But only Kaitlyn has experienced something like Geno’s system. I really hope all of them pick it up sooner rather than later. In Geno’s favor is the stratified shape of this season with veterans returning from injury at various points. This could give the new kids more time and space to flourish before March.
Versatility is the key part of this class. Everyone can play out of position, Morgan and Sarah can play 1-4, Allie 1-2 and can be a wing player as well. Chen 1-2. The more people we have that can limit minutes of injury prone people like Azzi, the better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom