Can Gabby Dunk? | The Boneyard

Can Gabby Dunk?

Reaction Score
She high jumped 6'2 1/4" at the Olympic trials when she was 15. I realize she's had a few knee injuries since then, but can she dunk? Could she ever? Does anyone know? Just curious...

My guess is "yes".

Reaction Score
She should be able to, but maya is the greatest dunker i have seen in wbb.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Something I posted two years ago
"For the most part the quantifiable athleticism that they are talking about is vertical jumping and because we are talking about basketball when the rim is 10' high it definitely translates to basketball. It goes by other names hops, explosiveness, & ups but for the most part it is how high you can get up in the air. I don't know if UCONN "officially" test the players for vertical leaping ability but at least once per game you will see Gabby leap off the floor like she has been shot out of cannon. Many of us did not take Gabby Dad seriously last year when he said "I can't stop her ( Gabby) from playing but I want to make sure she at the level she needs to be. So I've kind of challenged her and told her, 'When you can dunk the basketball consistently, you can play.' "
https://www.sny.tv/uconn/news/recruit-williams-on-track-to-get-back-on-court/148619324
If and when Gabby does dunk in a game she will be the first (maybe last or only woman) under 6' 4"' foot to achieve the feat."

Reaction Score
What about Btitteny Griner?
Just because she's tall doesn't make her a great dunker. I have seen maya do MJ style dunks where she takes off from the foul line and slams it home. Griner doesn't have the athletic ability to do that. Her dunks are like stewies dunks from underneath the basket. Griner isn't even a great rebounder for her height.

Reaction Score
Gabby touching the rim.jpg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
"For the most part the quantifiable athleticism that they are talking about is vertical jumping and because we are talking about basketball when the rim is 10' high it definitely translates to basketball. It goes by other names hops, explosiveness, & ups but for the most part it is how high you can get up in the air. I don't know if UCONN "officially" test the players for vertical leaping ability but at least once per game you will see Gabby leap off the floor like she has been shot out of cannon. Many of us did not take Gabby Dad seriously last year when he said "I can't stop her ( Gabby) from playing but I want to make sure she at the level she needs to be. So I've kind of challenged her and told her, 'When you can dunk the basketball consistently, you can play.' "
https://www.sny.tv/uconn/news/recruit-williams-on-track-to-get-back-on-court/148619324
If and when Gabby does dunk in a game she will be the first (maybe last or only woman) under 6' 4"' foot to achieve the feat."

Charlotte Smith dunked at 6'0

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
One of the issues that keep small performers who are great leapers from dunking the ball is the lack of hands large enough to get a good enough grip on the ball. Butch Lee, a great leaper in the Association always had a problem because of his small hands. I think with Gabby this is perhaps the primary issue.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Sorry to burst your bubble Coco. Check out Florida State's Shakaya Thomas. She, like Gabby is only 5' 11". SHE CAN DUNK!!!! Click the link tab for visual evidence.

[LINK]

Reaction Score
She high jumped 6'2 1/4" at the Olympic trials when she was 15. I realize she's had a few knee injuries since then, but can she dunk? Could she ever? Does anyone know? Just curious...

My guess is "yes".
I personally think that it would almost be silly for her to attempt dunks and put any undue stress on her knees and possibly injure herself for something so frivolous. The beauty of UConn basketball is that there is no need for showboat or above the rim nonsense that does nothing but showcase athleticism that we already know Gabby has in spades. Using her athleticism the way she does, in the course of normal game conditions to block shots, run down fast breaks, block shots, etc. means so much more.

Reaction Score
I get so nervous when Gabby skies like she does , it takes your breath away, she has to be the most watchable hoops player , mens included!!!

Reaction Score
One of the issues that keep small performers who are great leapers from dunking the ball is the lack of hands large enough to get a good enough grip on the ball. Butch Lee, a great leaper in the Association always had a problem because of his small hands. I think with Gabby this is perhaps the primary issue.

One night I was warming up by myself in a small church gym. I'm 6'0" and could jump pretty good then. A shorter guy came by me and started warming up. He was about 5'7" or so. All of a sudden he took off and slammed the ball like Dr. J!

I was blown away. He said he didn't do anything special but was able to jump that high naturally. His hands weren't big at all.

One of the guys on ort church league team had brought him to play with us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I get so nervous when Gabby skies like she does , it takes your breath away, she has to be the most watchable hoops player , mens included!!!

I saw her up close at the Nebraska game.

Reminded me of myself back in the day...

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
She can throw down a softball but not a basketball-yet.

Question: Who has the best vertical, Maya or Gabby?
Gabby 5'11" Maya 6' 0" Gabby dunks a softball. Maya dunks a basketball.

JordyG

Reaction Score
One night I was warming up by myself in a small church gym. I'm 6'0" and could jump pretty good then. A shorter guy came by me and started warming up. He was about 5'7" or so. All of a sudden he took off and slammed the ball like Dr. J!

I was blown away. He said he didn't do anything special but was able to jump that high naturally. His hands weren't big at all.

One of the guys on ort church league team had brought him to play with us.
Dunking in a gym and dunking in game are two different things. So often I've seen guys with smaller hands have the ball roll off mid jump as the sweat and excitement of the moment ruins their chances.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I saw her up close at the Nebraska game.

Reminded me of myself back in the day...
Which part. The nervousness or the shortness of breath.

Reaction Score
Just because she's tall doesn't make her a great dunker. I have seen maya do MJ style dunks where she takes off from the foul line and slams it home. Griner doesn't have the athletic ability to do that. Her dunks are like stewies dunks from underneath the basket. Griner isn't even a great rebounder for her height.

Is their some sort of video of maya doing this? I'm not trying to discredit you or anything but I just wanted to see her dunk from the free throw line.

Reaction Score

Maya has great jumping ability, but she can't come close to taking off from the foul line and dunking. She would be the first to tell you that.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Question: Who has the best vertical, Maya or Gabby?
Gabby 5'11" Maya 6' 0" Gabby dunks a softball. Maya dunks a basketball.

Gabby, in the past at least, was said by her dad to be able to dunk in HS. I think she is closer to 5'10" , and besides being shorter than Maya does not have Maya's wingspan.

Threads on this topic in past years estimated Gabby's vertical at somewhere in the low to mid 30"s. Maya's was documented at 28" about the time she graduated high school, IIRC.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Say what ....??? Not on a standard 10' rim!

Fishbone

Chief Lurker
Reaction Score
You must be kidding or you did not see much of her play.
I love Gabby's game. She is an incredible leaper, but she is not a great dunker.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom