Cameron Brink = FT Goddess | The Boneyard

Cameron Brink = FT Goddess

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Thought this deserved its own thread. Cameron Brink, the player who shot 65% from the line as a freshman and 61% as a shooter, has made 72 straight FTs. According to the commentators, she is 4 away from setting the NCAA record for consecutive FTs made.

Reaction Score
Thought this deserved its own thread. Cameron Brink, the player who shot 65% from the line as a freshman and 61% as a shooter, has made 72 straight FTs. According to the commentators, she is 4 away from setting the NCAA record for consecutive FTs made.
Beat me to it, bballnut90... it definitely deserves its own thread.

And she's making lots of them with the game on the line, as she did with 10 straight in a tight win today over Duke.

Great job, Cameron!

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Not only does Brink make them, she rarely hits the rim. Very impressive!
I was very nervous on those last two FT she took...where she did hit rim and they weren't SWISH shots like all her others today. But down they went.

Did I hear correctly that her freshman year, she was less than a 70% FT shooter?

Reaction Score
I was very nervous on those last two FT she took...where she did hit rim and they weren't SWISH shots like all her others today. But down they went.

Did I hear correctly that her freshman year, she was less than a 70% FT shooter?
Correct. 65% frosh year and 62% sophomore year. And I think even beginning of last year wasn’t great. And then she decided she needed to focus on it. Brought it up to 85% last year. Ended last year at almost 50 consecutive and now with 24 straight to start this season. Pretty incredible chance and shows what determination and practice can do!

Reaction Score
Impressive for any player, let alone your center. Bodes really well for her at the next level. Also makes me have faith that when she puts the similar work into her 3 point shot, she can be really effective from there too.

I think she’s going to have a big time pro career. Seems to fly a bit under the radar given she’s the same year as Clark and Bueckers. That trio could mirror the Griner, Delle Donne, Diggins draft.

Reaction Score
Impressive for any player, let alone your center. Bodes really well for her at the next level. Also makes me have faith that when she puts the similar work into her 3 point shot, she can be really effective from there too.

I think she’s going to have a big time pro career. Seems to fly a bit under the radar given she’s the same year as Clark and Bueckers. That trio could mirror the Griner, Delle Donne, Diggins draft.
/whisper voice/ i don't think those will be the first three players drafted

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Also makes me have faith that when she puts the similar work into her 3 point shot, she can be really effective from there too.
50% from 3 so far this year. Limited attempts, but she's knocking them down.

I've been impressed with how readily she'll grab a defensive rebound and then take off dribbling down the floor. She looks smooth and comfortable handling the ball.

Reaction Score
Cameron Brink is a bit of a unicorn. Not many with her size, quickness, handles for her size, shot blocking, and shooting for percentage from 2-point, 3-point, and free throws. In fact, now that I write this, I can't think of a single WCBB player who achieves more in all aspects.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I guess I'm in the minority around here, but I would have loved to see that streak end yesterday :oops:

I remember her free throw percentage wasn't that good in her early years, and hadn't realized that she had improved it by leaps and bounds. Good for her to putting in the work to improve her shot, but dang it..

Reaction Score
Cameron Brink is a bit of a unicorn. Not many with her size, quickness, handles for her size, shot blocking, and shooting for percentage from 2-point, 3-point, and free throws. In fact, now that I write this, I can't think of a single WCBB player who achieves more in all aspects.
She's been a very poor three point shooter in past, but she's a very good and versatile player.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
She's been a very poor three point shooter in past, but she's a very good and versatile player.
36.7% and 35.5% as a Fr. and Soph. For a 6-4 post player, I'd hardly call that very poor. She did dip to 21% last season, but that appears to be an outlier. Fairly low number of attempts each season, but she's hit enough of them throughout her career that you can't just leave her unguarded out there.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

The Brink family is close with the Curry family. Has Cameron been working with Steph?

Reaction Score
I guess I'm in the minority around here, but I would have loved to see that streak end yesterday :oops:

I remember her free throw percentage wasn't that good in her early years, and hadn't realized that she had improved it by leaps and bounds. Good for her to putting in the work to improve her shot, but dang it..
Good effort by your team in a tough gym...

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
The Brink family is close with the Curry family. Has Cameron been working with Steph?
Probably not on a coaching basis. He comes to games when he can make it, and there's video of him visiting the team at practice and speaking to them.

Reaction Score
She is coached by Pau Gasol, and she has credited the change to him.
That is pretty impressive. I was thinking Curry as well, given their history and connection. But huge props to Gasol working with Cam on her game. Pau does not get a lot of respect in the NBA world for his game. Also, congrats for Cameron for putting in the work and improving. Very impressive free throw shooting.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah, Kara has such a great track record of developing bigs so far, everybody should be trying to transfer there...:rolleyes:

(sorry @triaddukefan )

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yeah, Kara has such a great track record of developing bigs so far, everybody should be trying to transfer there...:rolleyes:

(sorry @triaddukefan )

Simmer down young fella.... give her time... she really hasn't had any bigs come in from high school. All of the previous bigs have spent 3-4 years at other schools before enrolling in Durham.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Simmer down young fella.... give her time... she really hasn't had any bigs come in from high school. All of the previous bigs have spent 3-4 years at other schools before enrolling in Durham.
Not sure how much credit Kara can take, but I was supremely impressed by Emsbo. She was getting the better of Brink on both ends of the floor roughly 40-50% of the time, which is more than just about any post I've seen. Was not AT ALL sad to see her foul out - by comparison, I was not really very impressed with Brown.

And I attended the game and have been meaning to write up my thoughts, but this has been a very front-loaded workweek with Turkey Day, so may have to come tomorrow. Suffice it to say, I was very impressed with Duke and glad we escaped with the W.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom