Cam Spencer Commits to UConn | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Cam Spencer Commits to UConn

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
15. Cam Spencer, 6-4, SG, Sr., Rutgers Scarlet Knights

A very late addition to the portal, Spencer spent one season at Rutgers, averaging 13.2 points and shooting 43.4% from 3. Started his career at Loyola Maryland, putting up 18.9 PPG in 2021-22.

51. Nicolas Timberlake, 6-4, SG, Sr., Towson Tigers
Committed to Kansas
One of the best 3-point shooters in the portal, Timberlake shot better than 41% from beyond the arc over his past two seasons at Towson. Averaged 17.7 points this past season. Two-time all-league pick.

Per ESPN - KARMA - sorry if already posted - posts are coming in faster than I can put this in LO.
I'm curious ifTowson and Loyola ever played when the two were there? It would be interesting to see if they faced off against each other at some point.

Reaction Score
Cam Spencer has a wonderful feel for the game. He has one of the best Basketball I.Q.’s in the nation as a college player, not only offensively in his shooting, passing ability, reading defenses, spacing on the court & moving without the ball, but also defensively- for a kid who is not a super athlete to average over two steals per game the last two years is remarkable. He understands how to read passing lanes & where to rotate on defense. I think we all love this get, but I believe some of us will be amazed in how smart of a player & how good of a college player this kid is.

Hurley continues to shine & prove the naysayers wrong as far as his coaching ability & probably even more impressive his overall program building impact. I haven’t been happier or more proud since the early 2000’s to be a UConn Men’s Basketball fan- thanks coach- appreciate all the effort, dedication, & love/care you bring to the program & to the fans each & everyday!

Reaction Score
This article talks a bit about his injury history and related surgery. Tough young man.

There’s also this from his coach at Loyola. He should fit right in: “He’s one of those guys that I can look in the eye and I can tell that his drive and determination are boiling. So sometimes you’ve got to calm him down, but in my opinion, that’s a good problem to have. I want guys that are fired up like that.”

Reaction Score
We have a legit 2 deep rotation (and the 10 will likely become 8 or 9 by conference play)

PG - Castle, Diarra (w/ Newton minutes too)
SG - Newton, Ball
SF - Spencer, Ross
PF - Karaban, Stewart
C - Clingan, Johnson

Can't be understated how big this is. Doesn't force any freshman into too big of a role, but still plenty of minutes available for them. And tons of flexibility from the bench guys, and they all complement different pieces of the lineups
Johnson is going to be pretty important. Hopefully Singare is able to contribute because we could struggle to rebound without DC on the floor.

Reaction Score
This article talks a bit about his injury history and related surgery. Tough young man.

There’s also this from his coach at Loyola. He should fit right in: “He’s one of those guys that I can look in the eye and I can tell that his drive and determination are boiling. So sometimes you’ve got to calm him down, but in my opinion, that’s a good problem to have. I want guys that are fired up like that.”

Great article.. Thanks.. Sounds like a Hurley kind of player

Reaction Score

Great article...based on his background and story, it just feels like this kid just landed in his basketball heaven...our history, coaches, players, facilities, fanbase...he must be on cloud nine with how he went from an unrecruited high school player, overcoming injuries, to starting for the defending national champs...wow...what a ride...all the best to him and the team for next season...

Reaction Score

Article makes him sound a lot like Karaban.

Reaction Score
Well he definitely looked 7” taller when he game into the game. No knock on AS (an all time great Husky now) but DC is just huge. He is 7’2” without shoes.
Forget about the 7’2”, he has massive shoulders. If he fills those out with his chest and arms he becomes a mountain. How many players rebounded over DC last year? Not many.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm curious ifTowson and Loyola ever played when the two were there? It would be interesting to see if they faced off against each other at some point.
Yes and no, Timberlake played Loyola his freshman year, Spencer was still in high school. I still can't wrap my head around 6th year seniors.

Reaction Score
Selfishly wish Alleyne was still on the time. Wouldn’t have gotten more minutes but would have liked the embarrassment of riches if he stayed.
Let’s see what happens if Slick Rick does some slime stuff to get Wilcher.

He’s on a visit and they have no schollys

Reaction Score
Selfishly wish Alleyne was still on the time. Wouldn’t have gotten more minutes but would have liked the embarrassment of riches if he stayed.
I'm not sure Nahiem is actually in a better position for more playing time at St Johns. Slick Rick keeps adding guys. They are already six deep at the guard position and look to be in on Simeon Wilcher. NA was one of the first to go in the portal, perhaps a bit premature. I wonder if he could have found a b better fit being more patient.

Reaction Score
We pretty much said the same thing about Sanogo last year with Clingan.

We have to trusIt that Hurley has a good eye for talent and these freshman will be ready to make an impact.
Now, I had no idea how good/valueable DC would be his freshman year, but I thought he would contribute a healthy amount. I like Johnson, but can he stay healthy this year. Watching video, you could see DC had the body to contribute right away. He just surpassed what we thought it would be, by a lot. It's just a very unproven group.

Reaction Score
Yes indeed. Starting to shape up like another steamroller/runaway locomotive. The team you dread to play. Run you into the ground the later in the game it goes. It's only June 7 and I can't wait for the season to see them in action.

BTW, When Clingan takes a rest this guy will be lurking around in the background too.

And he sounds like he has a huge chip on his shoulder with his high school ranking putting him at 130. He could end being a beast with an attitude and I love it

Reaction Score
We pretty much said the same thing about Sanogo last year with Clingan.

We have to trust that Hurley has a good eye for talent and these freshman will be ready to make an impact.

I agree that if Hurley sees no need to use the 13th scholarship that the freshman center and Johnson must be impressive in practice. If either one of those two were struggling we would be in the market for a 4/5 player.

Reaction Score
Clingan is also likely shorter than his listed height by about the same amount as Sanogo. The difference is probably 5 inches.
Pretty sure Donovan's dad said he was up to 7'4" at the end of the season.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
And he sounds like he has a huge chip on his shoulder with his high school ranking putting him at 130. He could end being a beast with an attitude and I love it
Not to mention the admiration he has for Sanogo. I’m sure Singare knows how much work Adama put in to his development and will aim to do the same.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Nahiem is actually in a better position for more playing time at St Johns. Slick Rick keeps adding guys. They are already six deep at the guard position and look to be in on Simeon Wilcher. NA was one of the first to go in the portal, perhaps a bit premature. I wonder if he could have found a b better fit being more patient.
Haheim will get plenty of pt. Soriano and 4 guards will play and shoot a ton of 3’s

Reaction Score
Haheim will get plenty of pt. Soriano and 4 guards will play and shoot a ton of 3’s
I guess I'm the only one here who doesn't want them to be good. Blank Rick and blank St. John's. They have a nasty fan base. Yeah he'll get eyeballs and that's OK but I don't wish them success, there are others who I would rather see successful than them.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm the only one here who doesn't want them to be good. Blank Rick and blank St. John's. They have a nasty fan base. Yeah he'll get eyeballs and that's OK but I don't wish them success, there are others who I would rather see successful than them.
You are not alone

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There may be others.

Personally I could care less if RP succeeds or fails as he isn't long for the job and they'll still be St John's once he's gone.

What I find humorous is those (and there are quite a few) who are already praising his success at St John's when he still hasn't coached one game for them.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Something else you just have to LOVE about Danny Hurley - the man exudes confidence. And then everyone had his back and brought us Championship #5 in dominating fashion this year. This has been his vision from Day 1, and he made good on it.

A number of you have commented on what a great job our coaching staff has been doing, and how amazing it is that we lost zero assistant coaches this off-season. I 100% agree.

In fact, it is time someone came right out and said it. We have THE #1 COACHING STAFF IN THE COUNTRY RIGHT NOW. Period. End of story. There is not a staff in this country I would switch out for this group. Not one.

Dan, Kimani, Tom, Luke... the BEST staff in the country, bar none. The support group surrounding these 4 men is also incredibly strong as well. We are amazingly lucky to have this group. Amazingly lucky. Cherish this, my friends. Because we have been lucky enough to have Calhoun and his great staffs and now this one. We are truly blessed.

These fellows, one might say, are studs

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom