Calling Sat Bonnie game a must win... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Calling Sat Bonnie game a must win...

Reaction Score
Unless we want a lot of league games to be must wins, it's a must win.
or what? we won't make the tourney? i guarantee we won't be a bubble team facing any "must-wins" in late feb/early march. playing for seeding does not create must wins unless you have championship aspirations, which we don't this year. otherwise we're happy to get in and hope for a good matchup.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This my general sentiment that makes it feel like a "must win". Not as much the "power 6" because the A-10 and other conferences have legit teams but the idea that we've had 4 "legit" games that we should have won and we gave away 2 of them (MSU & WV) and almost gave away the other 2 against Auburn & VCU. This team has trouble closing against good teams which presents a problem entering BE play.
The 2 "given away" included full-game absences of 3 of our 4 most productive players, and RJ's unavailability for the MSU game's end, due to a questionable foul call.

We are what our record says we are. I'd prefer 9-2 going into BE play, especially with a sense that people in and out of this fan base will bring up Auburn & St Bona missing their best player (if that's so and we win), and ignore or disregard who was missing in our 2 losses.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
or what? we won't make the tourney? i guarantee we won't be a bubble team facing any "must-wins" in late feb/early march. playing for seeding does not qualify as a must win unless you have have championship aspirations which we don't this year.
Many, including myself, have been moved to consider this team capable of beyond Sweet 16. That's where seeding will be most influential, and is currently most at risk. It's still early, but this, stretch was seen as important even before the injuries.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
or what? we won't make the tourney? i guarantee we won't be a bubble team facing any "must-wins" in late feb/early march. playing for seeding does not create must wins unless you have championship aspirations, which we don't this year. otherwise we're happy to get in and hope for a good matchup.

For our expectations of the program this season. I consider getting a bid with a 9 seed a failure. I hope Hurley does as well. I hope the players do. If we want to be comfortably in the tournament with a decent seed, we need this...or we need to dominate the league and lose maybe no more than 2-3 games. Hell, I think they need it to erase the stink from yesterday.

Reaction Score
Is the season in jeopardy with a loss, no. But reason I started the thread is because it feels like a must win to take the pressure off to start the BE schedule. If we had won MSU or WV the Bonnie game wouldn't feel so important.

Of course want to start BE schedule well regardless if win or lose to Bonnies, but going into conference play losing 2 games in a row just ramps on the pressure on the first few games.

Reaction Score
For our expectations of the program this season. I consider getting a bid with a 9 seed a failure. I hope Hurley does as well. I hope the players do. If we want to be comfortably in the tournament with a decent seed, we need this...or we need to dominate the league and lose maybe no more than 2-3 games. Hell, I think they need it to erase the stink from yesterday.
unless you're a top 4 seed, which was not a realistic expectation for the program this season, then you're not a favorite to make the sweet 16 anyways. otherwise it's a matchup dependent crapshoot. we lost in the first round last year as a 7, but UCLA made it to the final 4 as an 11. we can certainly make it to the second round as an 8 or 9, although i'm confident we'll be higher than that. i think we finish the regular season around 20-11. which would mean around 3rd in the BE (12-8) and a 6 or 7 seed.

if we can somehow make the sweet 16 then great but unless we lose in the first round again then this season shouldn't be considered a failure. we'll have won our first tourney game in 6 years and it'll be an improvement upon last season. if both cole and martin come back next year then we'll have realistic top 4 seed expectations and more.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
unless you're a top 4 seed, which was not a realistic expectation for the program this season, then you're not a favorite to make the sweet 16 anyways. otherwise it's a matchup dependent crapshoot. we lost in the first round last year as a 7, but UCLA made it to the final 4 as an 11. we can certainly make it to the second round as an 8 or 9.

if we can somehow make the sweet 16 then great but unless we lose in the first round again then this season shouldn't be considered a failure. we'll have won our first tourney game in 6 years and it'll be an improvement upon last season. if both cole and martin come back next year then we'll have realistic top 4 seed expectations and more.
How is a top 4 seed unrealistic for a team that is ranked 15th and has had chances to win every game???

Reaction Score
I think this game is a must win. Not for getting into the tournament or seeding; we need this win for our mojo to get something positive going into conference play.

Reaction Score
How is a top 4 seed unrealistic for a team that is ranked 15th and has had chances to win every game???
news flash but we aint gonna be ranked 15 next week...if we lose to St B's we won't be ranked at all. we've only played 2 good teams and split the pair but i added that we'll finish the season around 20-11. good for around 3rd in the BE and a 6 or 7 seed, not a 4.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
new flash but we aint gonna be ranked 15 next week...i added that i think we finish the season 20-11. good for around 3rd in the BE and a 6 or 7 seed.
It would a very disappointing season if we get fully healthy and lose 11 games.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
unless you're a top 4 seed, which was not a realistic expectation for the program this season, then you're not a favorite to make the sweet 16 anyways. otherwise it's a matchup dependent crapshoot. we lost in the first round last year as a 7, but UCLA made it to the final 4 as an 11. we can certainly make it to the second round as an 8 or 9, although i'm confident we'll be higher than that. i think we finish the regular season around 20-11. which would mean around 3rd in the BE (12-8) and a 6 or 7 seed.

I think you are using the word "must" too literally. It is a really, really, really important game. Without it, we'd be 1-3 against all decent OOC competition. That's horrid. UConn would also enter league play following two straight losses and that could lead to disaster. When you lay a stink bomb in a game, it's important that you win the next game to avoid losing becoming a habit. This is a critical game.

Reaction Score
I think you are using the word "must" too literally. It is a really, really, really important game. Without it, we'd be 1-3 against all decent OOC competition. That's horrid. UConn would also enter league play following two straight losses and that could lead to disaster. When you lay a stink bomb in a game, it's important that you win the next game to avoid losing becoming a habit. This is a critical game.
So who’s going to be in Newark to scream with me?

Reaction Score
This is a must-win game for the Yard. A loss will make this place untenable. I'll need to take a sabbatical.
If you lasted through the last 2 Ollie seasons then I’m sure you’ll get through whatever lows the team has this season.

Reaction Score
Every game is a must-win if you have a winning mindset. But, Saint Bonnie is important from a psychological standpoint.

Reaction Score
If you lasted through the last 2 Ollie seasons then I’m sure you’ll get through whatever lows the team has this season.
The last 2 seasons have been so much worse here after losses than the Ollie years

Reaction Score
i agree it's really important but i dont think i'm using it too literally, i think people are throwing the term around too liberally

Reaction Score
It would a very disappointing season if we get fully healthy and lose 11 games.
finishing .600 or better in BE will never disappoint me unless i think the team's really special

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
We’re a third of the way into the season it’s not a must win
True but I would hate to lose against 2 unranked teams in a week.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This game isn't a must win from a W-L sense. This game is a must win from if the game is a close game in the last 4 minutes we can't throw it away or it will continue to show the problem we have closing out games. It seems we have a mental block during close games and we need to break that.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If you want to bank Quad 1 wins for seeding purposes, it's a must win.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Lofton will probably see the floor. All the starters and top 3 off the bench are experienced players. It will be difficult no matter which way you look at it. This team needs Martin firstly. He is the Iron Man on this team and he changes the game in multiple ways. Wish DH had given the young kids more run when they should have played rather than killing teams by 50 points. I don’t see this a must game. To me, every NBE game is a must game

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom