OT: - Callan Resigns | The Boneyard

OT: Callan Resigns

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Twenty-six years at the helm with incredible success from the U16 teams to the WNT.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Callan said she has been talking with USA Basketball CEO Jim Tooley for several years about stepping down.

“This will be my seventh Olympics,” Callan said in a phone interview Monday with The Associated Press. “I remember when Lindsay Whalen retired she took herself out of consideration for the Olympics. I’ve had my chance and now someone else should have their chance to.”

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Interesting timing, would you not say?

Timing? Good grief.

I think she's like 68. And she's been in her current job for almost 30 years. So actually, I think the timing is the least interesting part of the story.

Soon after the debacle of the USWNT loss in the semifinals in Barcelona 1992 (shout-out to all the geniuses who think that US is guaranteed to win the gold medal every time), Callan took the helm and has headed up one of the most successful national team programs, anywhere in the world, ever.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Timing? Good grief.

I think she's like 68. And she's been in her current job for almost 30 years. So actually, I think the timing is the least interesting part of the story.

Soon after the debacle of the USWNT loss in the semifinals in Barcelona 1992 (shout-out to all the geniuses who think that US is guaranteed to win the gold medal every time), Callan took the helm and has headed up one of the most successful national team programs, anywhere in the world, ever.
I have to agree 100% with your take in this. And I find all the rhetoric on any of the various player who did nit make the prior squads also complete lunacy as noted that the USA has won how many consecutive FIBA and Olympic golds? So omitting Candace Parker and Nneka Ogwumike obviously were fine decisions despite various opinionated know it all’s.
Congratulations Carol on a phenomenal job and legacy that you created.

Reaction Score
I have to agree 100% with your take in this. And I find all the rhetoric on any of the various player who did nit make the prior squads also complete lunacy as noted that the USA has won how many consecutive FIBA and Olympic golds? So omitting Candace Parker and Nneka Ogwumike obviously were fine decisions despite various opinionated know it all’s.
Congratulations Carol on a phenomenal job and legacy that you created.
The object is always to send the best team, not the best players.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Timing? Good grief.

Dont give Geno / CD any ideas

Reaction Score
She oversaw the creation of a development system where young players are introduced to the style of play USA wanted and there has been a winnowing process as those U16-U-19's moved up through the age groups.
Players who think they are above setting screens and diving for loose balls need not apply.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Another awfully written extremely bias article.

Ughhhhhhhh.
A poorly written story by a reporter who does not cover women's basketball and who just regurgitated what has already been reported or the twitter nonsense. No original reporting at all in the Yahoo story.

The AP's Doug Feinberg has covered women's basketball (college, WNBA and USA BB) for years, knows what's going on and of course wrote a more balanced story.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is usually the complicated explanation and then there’s the simple explanation. The last few years have been tough on everyone. Across the country, people are retiring in record numbers.

Teachers, doctors and many other professions are experiencing record retirements. The other day the richest man in the world retired. Hopefully, Jeff Bezos can get by on $186 billion.

The simple explanation is often the correct one. At 68, after 30 years on the job, Carol Callan decided it was time to retire. Reporters have deadlines and they have to produce stories, so Cassandra Negley decided to create an alternate reality.

Reaction Score
Isn’t she taking a job with FIBA? I thought she was leaving USA Basketball because you can’t hold both positions at the same time.

There is usually the complicated explanation and then there’s the simple explanation. The last few years have been tough on everyone. Across the country, people are retiring in record numbers.

Teachers, doctors and many other professions are experiencing record retirements. The other day the richest man in the world retired. Hopefully, Jeff Bezos can get by on $186 billion.

The simple explanation is often the correct one. At 68, after 30 years on the job, Carol Callan decided it was time to retire. Reporters have deadlines and they have to produce stories, so Cassandra Negley decided to create an alternate reality.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Isn’t she taking a job with FIBA? I thought she was leaving USA Basketball because you can’t hold both positions at the same time.
No. She has been President of FIBA Americas since 2019. She'll continue in that role which will be a lot less demanding than her position with USA Basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom