BY25 poll #7: *Results are in* | The Boneyard

BY25 poll #7: *Results are in*

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Number of 1st-place votes shown in parentheses:

1643656108314.png

Also receiving votes (on at least two ballots): South Florida 30, Duke 21, DePaul 12, UCF 10, Ole Miss 5, Virginia Tech 5.

The following teams appeared on only one ballot, thus falling short of "receiving votes": Missouri, Florida, Gonzaga, Arkansas, Dayton.

Thank you to all who voted. Twenty-one ballots were submitted.

Poll #8 will be Monday, February 14, 2022.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I put mine together hastily and diverge quite a bit from the BY much more than normal. The collective did a better job than I.

Reaction Score
  • Oregon +8
  • GaTech +7
  • Baylor +5
  • Iowa +4
  • Michigan, Arizona +3
  • Ohio St enters
=====================
  • ND -7 even though they went 3-1 including avenging the close loss to BC with a solid win
  • Duke -5 (out of poll)
  • UNC -4
  • Iowa St, LSU, MD, Okla -3
  • Colorado out after going 1-4

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
  • Oregon +8
  • GaTech +7
  • Baylor +5
  • Iowa +4
  • Michigan, Arizona +3
  • Ohio St enters
=====================
  • ND -7 even though they went 3-1 including avenging the close loss to BC with a solid win
  • Duke -5 (out of poll)
  • UNC -4
  • Iowa St, LSU, MD, Okla -3
  • Colorado out after going 1-4
That movement largely tracks how I ranked teams. (Oregon made a huge leap for me - my eye test says they are among the top ten best in the country right now.)

And yeah, I noticed how much I dinged Notre Dame relative to last time and in some respects, their close loss shouldn't lead to that big of a drop. OTOH, other than UNC, they have no really good wins, and I'm just not sold UNC is that good. And in the mean time, the teams ranked ahead of them either didn't lose picked up at least one good win. Fortunately they'll face Louisville once and NC State twice, so they'll have many more opportunities to impress.

The other team with a remarkably weak resume is Maryland. They are a 3 point win over Baylor away from no top 50 wins and a bunch of blowout losses to top teams. I know they've had some injury issues, but I can't think of a team that has more disappointed compared to pre-season expectations; in early November I was thinking they were a very likely final four team.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
And yeah, I noticed how much I dinged Notre Dame relative to last time and in some respects, their close loss shouldn't lead to that big of a drop. OTOH, other than UNC, they have no really good wins, and I'm just not sold UNC is that good. And in the mean time, the teams ranked ahead of them either didn't lose picked up at least one good win. Fortunately they'll face Louisville once and NC State twice, so they'll have many more opportunities to impress.
NC State and Notre Dame's only regular season meeting is tomorrow night.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
My personal top 25 ballot was a lot different; I had Notre Dame at 11...BYU at 14 and placed Baylor, Texas and Maryland much lower than the BY composite. I also moved UCF into my poll for the first time ever...and South Florida and Ohio State both making re-appearances after several weeks of absence.

Gone were UNC, Duke and Mississippi.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to understand how UConn is blown out by Oregon, and beaten decisively by Georgia Tech, but continues to be ranked higher than both. Is this ranking based on UConn + Paige? Or is it based on the team that takes to the court now?

Reaction Score
. . .
The other team with a remarkably weak resume is Maryland. They are a 3 point win over Baylor away from no top 50 wins and a bunch of blowout losses to top teams. I know they've had some injury issues, but I can't think of a team that has more disappointed compared to pre-season expectations; in early November I was thinking they were a very likely final four team.
In my opinion, every Big Ten team is over ranked. The entire conference had only two solid wins against a team from other conferences. Both were against Baylor - the fourth place Big 12 team. Otherwise, the Big Ten has shown nothing. Indeed, Maryland has only one Quad One win - over Baylor!

I know the great showing the Big had in last year's tournament - but this year the conference looks really weak.

Big Ten Standings​

Records include games against Division I opponents only.
Streaks include games against all opponents.
Quadrant 1 (Q1): Home (1-30) Neutral (1-50) Away (1-75)
NET Rank updated for games through JAN 31st.

RankTeamRecordWin %Games
Back
RecordWin %RankQ1Last
Streak
Michigan10-10.909-19-20.905136-29-17 Wins
Iowa8-20.80014-50.737235-38-21 Loss
Ohio State8-30.727216-40.800304-38-21 Win
Indiana6-10.857214-30.824164-39-11 Loss
Maryland7-30.70015-60.714201-66-43 Wins
Michigan State6-30.667312-80.600611-56-44 Wins
Nebraska4-40.50015-40.789141-46-42 Wins

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I'm trying to understand how UConn is blown out by Oregon, and beaten decisively by Georgia Tech, but continues to be ranked higher than both. Is this ranking based on UConn + Paige? Or is it based on the team that takes to the court now?
Honestly I had UCONN much much lower. I too was surprised to see them still in the top 10.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
From my point of view, UCONN is still UCONN, even without their best player. Yes, they look vulnerable and without Paige, they do go through spells where they look discombobulated. But that roster is still full of All Americans, and when they finally get healthy, they're going to look, and play, even better. UCONN could have dropped on this poll, given the way they lost to Oregon, but looking at what the other teams below them did, I left UCONN in my top 10 -- for now; there weren't many other candidates worthy of replacing them. I have Georgia Tech and Oregon rising on my ballot...and rising quickly...with Georgia Tech at 10.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
My personal top 25 ballot was a lot different; I had Notre Dame at 11...BYU at 14 and placed Baylor, Texas and Maryland much lower than the BY composite. I also moved UCF into my poll for the first time ever...and South Florida and Ohio State both making re-appearances after several weeks of absence.

Gone were UNC, Duke and Mississippi.

I had South Florida and Dayton in my top 25. Didn't have Ohio State or the school in Chapel Hill. I would have included Ohio State if their game was played on Sunday. Continue to be amazed by people ranking that school in Chapel Hill. (no biases)

Reaction Score
NC State just lost to Notre Dame if UCONN at full force can beat anyone….a wounded talented and traditional power like the Huskies is a dangerous opponent

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Northeast coast bias

Reaction Score
Number of 1st-place votes shown in parentheses:

View attachment 72863

Implied bracket
NC: 1 SCar / 8 Ariz / 10 IaSt / 15 Md
WA: 2 Stan / 7 Tenn / 11 GaTc / 14 Bay
CT: 3 NCSt / 6 Mich / 9 UConn / 13 LSU
KS: 4 Loui / 5 Indi / 12 Geor / 16 Ore

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Based on situations, injuries GT, ranked now, loss a day after losing 3 guards. Illness Oregon loss 15 minutes after losing CW played with only 2 guards, one still supposed to be minutes limited. Healthy South Carolina lost to a mediocre Missouri team without its best player, never moved from 1. UConn hasn't lost to any team on this ranking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom