Buying your parents/in-laws’ house | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Buying your parents/in-laws’ house

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Does anyone have experience with this? Does it get messy? Is it smoother? Worth the closing cost savings?

My wife and I are looking to upsize while her parents are downsizing. Their house ticks all of our boxes and our jokes about moving in have become more serious.

They impulsively bought a condo in Ft Myers in January (completely screwing us on childcare but that’s a thread for another day).

While in FL they realized they enjoyed having a small living space and hated worrying about their pipes/driveway/sidewalks etc during CT winters.

I think it’s a good idea/great house and saves the battle we're sure to have in this crazy sellers market trying to get something.

My wife is not super into the ideal of moving into “the house she grew up in” but truth be told it’s been remodeled 3 times since she moved out and it’s an entirely different house.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
They will if it wasn’t a new and very recent build....Tolland is a mess with the foundation stuff
Tell me about it - replaced my foundation before I could retire, sell and move to Delaware.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Small hi jack of the thread. Would you buy a beautiful 750k house for 350k (your max budgeted limit) but it’s only that low because there was a bloody murder and suicide in it a year prior?

A normal person probably says no.

Me, as long as there’s no evidence of it still around, take advantage

the Q

Reaction Score
Tell me about it - replaced my foundation before I could retire, sell and move to Delaware.

Literally the purpose of having homeowners insurance and people get screwed left and right

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I just sold my house to my realtor. She knows all its warts, knew what we wanted in price and we have no realtor fee. No worries about showings (which may be huge in Covid times). If you can do it go for it

the Q

Reaction Score
I would absolutely do it. Even if there was still a chalk outline on the floor.

I mean I got you there. Even a short term hold could result in a nice profit on the flip.

Reaction Score
@Dream Jobbed 2.0, if you have the opportunity, take it. Most of my friends my age (I'm 34) who own homes in nicer towns have some type of situation where they live in an heirloom.

For example, a good buddy of mine bought his parents' house in the Chickahominy neighborhood in Greenwich, CT. If anyone is dropped in the middle of the neighborhood, they see a small lot middle-class neighborhood with delis, small businesses, etc. Despite the modesty of the neighborhood, houses go for at least 700k. Got the house for a song: he's a project manager so he put 200k into the home and it looks great now.

Heck, even my 70 year old mom got an heirloom at my childhood house right by I-95 in Greenwich. No way she would have been able to afford the neighborhood, but her godfather built the house in when she was 8 and she ended up buying it in '82 at a major discount.

As long as your in-laws are cool with making it your own, I'd take that opportunity in a heartbeat. It's a sellers market for sure, so if you guys are on your own it could be really tough finding something.

Reaction Score
A normal person probably says no.

Me, as long as there’s no evidence of it still around, take advantage

Small hi jack of the thread. Would you buy a beautiful 750k house for 350k (your max budgeted limit) but it’s only that low because there was a bloody murder and suicide in it a year prior?
If it was a murder-suicide, nobody left to harm you. If a murder and the perpetrator is sentenced and out of the way, why not?

If an unsolved murder, you never know if the murderer will return for a second time.

Depends on the circumstances.

Problem down the road might be if everybody in the area knows about the circumstances, it might be a deterrent for a very long time if you ever want to sell the house. Unless, an out of stater wants to buy.

the Q

Reaction Score
If it was a murder-suicide, nobody left to harm you. If a murder and the perpetrator is sentenced and out of the way, why not?

If an unsolved murder, you never know if the murderer will return for a second time.

Problem down the road might be if everybody in the area knows about the circumstances, it might be a deterrent for a very long time if you ever want to sell the house. Unless, an out of stater wants to buy.

True on the last point. I was assuming this was a forever or at least until retirement purchase

Reaction Score
Bought my wife's mom's home. But before, she did ask her sister and brother their thoughts which were go for it. Smooth closing, never a problem. We were there for 45 years. then got smart and moved to the suncoast of Florida.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

GHOSTS BRO, GHOSTS

Reaction Score
I wouldn't, not because of the murder suicide, the ghosts could be entertaining, but because of the property taxes. Who wants to pay more than double the amount of property taxes that are within your budget. Remember, we're all just renting.

As to the OP, hire a very good home inspector and be sure to request every questionable item be fixed or replaced. Those are the things you never get around to fixing once you move in. Use those things as leverage to chisel the price down. That, and "you really want to keep your home in the family, that has value." Bargain buys only come once in a lifetime. It's not personal, it's business.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't, not because of the murder suicide, the ghosts could be entertaining, but because of the property taxes. Who wants to pay more than double the amount of property taxes that are within your budget. Remember, we're all just renting.

As to the OP, hire a very good home inspector and be sure to request every questionable item be fixed or replaced. Those are the things you never get around to fixing once you move in. Use those things as leverage to chisel the price down. That, and "you really want to keep your home in the family, that has value." Bargain buys only come once in a lifetime. It's not personal, it's business.
Yeah, I'm not really taking things like property taxes or heating oil into account here. Only the spiritual piece with ghosts (I don't believe in that at all) or the neighborhood stigma of being the "murder house".

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm not really taking things like property taxes or heating oil into account here. Only the spiritual piece with ghosts (I don't believe in that at all) or the neighborhood stigma of being the "murder house".

So you’re basically asking if people would move to Hartford?

Reaction Score
Does anyone have experience with this? Does it get messy? Is it smoother? Worth the closing cost savings?

My wife and I are looking to upsize while her parents are downsizing. Their house ticks all of our boxes and our jokes about moving in have become more serious.

They impulsively bought a condo in Ft Myers in January (completely screwing us on childcare but that’s a thread for another day).

While in FL they realized they enjoyed having a small living space and hated worrying about their pipes/driveway/sidewalks etc during CT winters.

I think it’s a good idea/great house and saves the battle we're sure to have in this crazy sellers market trying to get something.

My wife is not super into the ideal of moving into “the house she grew up in” but truth be told it’s been remodeled 3 times since she moved out and it’s an entirely different house.

Thoughts?
If ur wife isn’t happy about it and ur going to be battling with her loose cannon siblings then it might not be the best idea. Family dynamics can last a life time. Have u talked to the other siblings about it or are u “going behind their backs”?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom