Butler hires Thad Matta | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Butler hires Thad Matta

Reaction Score
I think Matta only coaches a year or 2 until Collier retires and then move into the AD position

Reaction Score
I get the health risks and that his last two years at OSU weren’t good, but I didn’t expect Butler to be able to pull something like this off. The Big East coaching lineup is stacked.
Yes. And with the legendary big name departures in acc it is a selling point.
Booger and Bennett is all that remains there.
Williams
K
Mack
??
??

We have young guys and some names

Smart
Halloway
Hurley
Matta
Miller
Ewing(still)
That guy from PC
Anderson
Oh yeah and a guy named Wright.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This feels like a bad idea.
I think Matta only coaches a year or 2 until Collier retires and then move into the AD position

Coaching a high level college basketball team is not something you do if you are on the fence. I don’t see Matta doing this long term.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This is a great hire for a Butler level program, but is anyone else concerned that if the guy had to be convinced to finally take a job, it might not take much for him to call it quits in a year or two.

This also makes me wonder about UConns hiring process last go around. In hindsight Hurley has been a very good hire. But these other Big East programs are hiring proven high level coaches instead of the up and coming types. Makes me wonder what kind of coach we can attract next go around.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel

Does this make Butler “Whatsa Matta U”?

Reaction Score
Tier 1: Wright
Tier 2: McDermott, Matta
Tier 3: Smart, Cooley, Miller
Tier 4: Hurley, Holloway
Tier 5: Anderson, Stubblefield
Tier 6: Ewing

A win in the tourney bumps Hurley to tier 3
If you want to have Hurley in tier 4 that's fine even if I disagree, but there's no world where Hurley and Holloway are in the same tier

Reaction Score
If you want to have Hurley in tier 4 that's fine even if I disagree, but there's no world where Hurley and Holloway are in the same tier
How many of the other guys would have gotten a 15 seed to the elite 8?

But yeah it’s just a little pot stirring with some recency bias sprinkled in

Reaction Score
I’ll bump Hurley up after a tourney win but Matta has won more than Miller. 5 big10 chips and 4 conference tourney chips.
Miller has 5 P12 championships and 3 conference tournament championships at Arizona, plus 3 regular season and 1 conference tournament championships at Xavier

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
oh, get real, posers. butler coach? the butler coach?
1/22
' learned everything that i need to know aboot coach butler when they did a look see into their huddle last nite. forget that guy. im sure he's prolly a saint, kind to stray cats, the whole schmear. and, he's been there long enuf to have 'his guys' in 'his system.' fail.'

i keep telling youse that there will be quiz. that's how life works.
good thing for sum of youse that the tranny on the f150 is a bit messed up today, or id be pulling the backup move on ur incoherent observations moar. a lot moar, but for now, it looks like the 'yankees' thread is off to a good start, with the clueless clown posse coming out of the gate, firing on all cylinders. or at least the 2 pistons that actually work.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Miller has 5 P12 championships and 3 conference tournament championships at Arizona, plus 3 regular season and 1 conference tournament championships at Xavier
None vacated? We can ignore the elephant in the room if you’d like. I dropped him a tier for it whereas Thad as clean as a whistle.

You don’t need to nitpick everything I say just a mans subjective coaching tier ranks lol

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Matta is one of the best coaches in the country. He's won big at all three jobs, won five Big 10 conference championships and had major tournament success.
It’s the time away for me. But agreed he has tier 2 accomplishments.

Reaction Score
None vacated? We can ignore the elephant in the room if you’d like. I dropped him a tier for it whereas Thad as clean as a whistle.

You don’t need to nitpick everything I say just a mans subjective coaching tier ranks lol
Not nitpicking, just say the reason you did it was he's a dirty coach then. I'd have no issue with that. You claimed it was because he won less

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Tournament success. Unfortunately, only Stubblefield and Ewing have had less tournament success than Hurley.
Hurley does have A-10 Championships + NCAA wins at URI. I know it's still not as much as others on the list have had at other schools, but everyone on that list besides Wright, Cooley and McDermott have had their success somewhere else first / in their prior stints with the teams when they were in lesser leagues.

I don't have a problem saying Hurley is not in the top tiers until he wins at UConn in March. But he does have Conference Tourney championships and NCAA wins on his resume.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom