Brionna Jones unbelievable improvement in the WNBA | The Boneyard

Brionna Jones unbelievable improvement in the WNBA

Reaction Score
When Brionna played at MD and her first year with the CT Sun I was not impressed with her "game" at all.
She was just a Big Girl clogging up the paint!
But the Brionna Jones that takes the court now has turned her life and game around!
She has made Stepfanie Dolson-like changes in her diet and life style and has become one of the most improved players in the WNBA!
She is a joy to watch now as she totally controls the paint in every game!
She joins DB, JJ, AT, in making the most talented front court IMHO in the WNBA!
You go Breezie girl!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She wasn't very athletic at Maryland, but she was good. She took up space, grabbed rebounds, had a good shot selection, and shot a high percentage. She looks trimmer than ever this year and is nearly as efficient as she was in college.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I remember she torched UCONN and gave them maybe their best game of the year in 2016. She's always been very talented, glad to see her hard work and determination has paid off big time.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
When Brionna played at MD and her first year with the CT Sun I was not impressed with her "game" at all.
She was just a Big Girl clogging up the paint!
But the Brionna Jones that takes the court now has turned her life and game around!
She has made Stepfanie Dolson-like changes in her diet and life style and has become one of the most improved players in the WNBA!
She is a joy to watch now as she totally controls the paint in every game!
She joins DB, JJ, AT, in making the most talented front court IMHO in the WNBA!
You go Breezie girl!
I too could not believe the improvement she made while playing in the wubble with JJ out for the season in 2020. Her strength under the hoop was unbelievable, and still with a nice touch. She just gets better and better, and hopefully Curt doesn't trade her or any of the other Bigs to get a good 3-pt shooter, which is what the Sun need to secure the championship this year.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
She wasn't very athletic at Maryland, but she was good. She took up space, grabbed rebounds, had a good shot selection, and shot a high percentage. She looks trimmer than ever this year and is nearly as efficient as she was in college.
I agree with the OP that Brionna has improved quite a bit in the last two years, but I was going to post thoughts similar to yours. She averaged a double-double her last two years of college and led the nation in field-goal percentage at least once if not twice. She always had great fundamentals -- great footwork, great positioning on offense AND defense. And she made hustle plays despite not being particularly quick.

Plus she lasted four years under Brenda; she graduated after three and chose to come back to U-MD. ;)

I've noticed she hasn't played overseas the last couple of years -- I wonder if that has something to do with her amping up her game.

Reaction Score
Always impressed with the growth of Bri over the years. Like anything, it is always about that confidence and gaining that experience. Her Maryland years, especially her early years, you could see the potential. That 2nd year in Maryland, she took off. By her senior year, she was a force. Same at Connecticut. Each year she got better. In the Bubble, she was just unstoppable. All about that growth and wanting to be better. Bri is a on a mission.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I agree with the OP that Brionna has improved quite a bit in the last two years, but I was going to post thoughts similar to yours. She averaged a double-double her last two years of college and led the nation in field-goal percentage at least once if not twice. She always had great fundamentals -- great footwork, great positioning on offense AND defense. And she made hustle plays despite not being particularly quick.

Plus she lasted four years under Brenda; she graduated after three and chose to come back to U-MD. ;)

I've noticed she hasn't played overseas the last couple of years -- I wonder if that has something to do with her amping up her game.
I believe she has played overseas the past couple years. She and AT were teammates in the Czech Republic - ZVVZ USK Praha.

Last edited:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
One of the great joys of my 10+ years a a Sun STM has been following Brionna's career development close up. I met her at a Sun Foundation event her rookie season and while we all hoped she would contribute, I don't think ANYONE could have predicted where she is now. I personally think she has a beautiful shot, and will develop an outside game as the years go on. Lots of upside yet to go! Love our Uncasville Turtles.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
One of the great joys of my 10+ years a a Sun STM has been following Brionna's career development close up. I met her at a Sun Foundation event her rookie season and while we all hoped she would contribute, I don't think ANYONE could have predicted where she is now. I personally think she has a beautiful shot, and will develop an outside game as the years go on. Lots of upside yet to go! Love our Uncasville Turtles.
Thanks for the correction on Bri's overseas playing, and I agree with you about her shot. My one concern with her as a pro was whether she'd be able to hit beyond ten feet or so. She's doing that now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom