Bring on Stanford (merged) | The Boneyard

Bring on Stanford (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems like a different team from last fall. Lili Thompson has come on. Still like our chances.

Reaction Score
Much happier to face a team we know and we know we can beat.

Reaction Score
Unc played a really good game. Exposed some weaknesses that Uconn coaches will use to there advantage.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Seems like a different team from last fall. Lili Thompson has come on. Still like our chances.

UConn is a different team as well. Moriah is a much more confident and productive player. KML for a full 40. Stewie played only 17 mins in the Nov game.

Should be fun.

Reaction Score
Simply besides Chiney I feel we are much more athletic. We are faster, stronger and jump higher. Stanford has improved since the early season but so have we.

Reaction Score
Simply besides Chiney I feel we are much more athletic. We are faster, stronger and jump higher. Stanford has improved since the early season but so have we.

I know I am in the minority but Chiney's game seems very 1-dimensional to me. I don't remember ever seeing her take an actual jump shot, long or short, in the games that I have watched Stanford played.

Reaction Score
I know I am in the minority but Chiney's game seems very 1-dimensional to me. I don't remember ever seeing her take an actual jump shot, long or short, in the games that I have watched Stanford played.
She has a decent shot but her game is defiantly driving the ball and getting those rebounds. When you see her in person she is big and strong and knows how to use her body to control the paint...... even if its 1 dimensional its a strong dimension

Reaction Score
Stanford had 5 players >30 minutes. Their 6th player had 8.
So neither coach is gonna want a foul fest!

I like that our "depth" matches their strength -- we can have both Dolson and Stokes guard Chiney.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Tara is a really good coach and I bet she started working on scouting for both Uconn and ND back in November. Not sure she has enough tricks to pull it off, but they are a well disciplined team with good players and seem to have found others to step up and help Chiney. They seem to have really put their two late season stumbles behind them - not unlike DT and Uconn losing the BE tournament game prior to putting it all together for the NCAA run.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I don't see UConn giving Chiney 15 easy lay ups and fouling Ruef at 30 ft.
MD makes me a little nervous . call me crazy- Stanford makes me less nervous than A & M.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
She has a decent shot but her game is defiantly driving the ball and getting those rebounds. When you see her in person she is big and strong and knows how to use her body to control the paint. even if its 1 dimensional its a strong dimension
She is awesome at what she does and can do. And she seams/is a classy young woman!

Reaction Score

You might be in the minority, but you are not alone. If a pro team is looking for a Dennis Rodman type player, Chiney is the choice. To turn a franchise around, for go to scoring, a team should consider looking elsewhere.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
MD makes me a little nervous . call me crazy- Stanford makes me less nervous than A & M.
Chiney is really good, but they are not going to out quick us, if anything we should be able to out quick them. And beyond Chiney I don't see anyone likely to draw a ton of fouls on us unless we get stupid. But they run good offense and good screens and do have a number of players capable of hitting threes if we are late getting out to them.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Chiney is really good, but they are not going to out quick us, if anything we should be able to out quick them. And beyond Chiney I don't see anyone likely to draw a ton of fouls on us unless we get stupid. But they run good offense and good screens and do have a number of players capable of hitting threes if we are late getting out to them.

Stanford spreads the floor well and gives Chiney space. UConn hasn't always doubled her, but when she gets it she's shooting it so there will be opportunities to bring a double. Samuelson/James just hang out at the 3-point line so they'll need to be guarded, likely by KML. Stewie will likely guard Ruef and use her long arms to make her post-entry passes more difficult. UNC made it too easy for Ruef.

Reaction Score
I agree with you. I have watch a few of their games this year and to be they have not improved much from last December. Some players stepped up and had a great game last night, but the team is still all about trying to dump the ball into Chiney so she can force it up, get the rebound and the put-back.

HGN

Reaction Score
Since our game with them early in the season we both have gotten better. But they know us and we know them. Their bench is a little longer than ours, so what's new , we have had that problem since we met early and KML went down.

It's going to come down to who executes better.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Having 40 minutes of KML and a possibly improved contribution from Stewie vis a vis the last time the teams played are big positives.

What we had in November that we don't have in April:

• Morgan Tuck, who did hit some huge threes in the second half. Obviously, she's not been playing.
  • Saniya Chong nailed two big first-half threes. She just hasn't been hitting them reliably lately.
  • This isn't a home game this time, though it's not on the road either.
I hope Stewie and KML can make up the difference.

IN 2007-08, UConn beat Stanford by 12 in November and then lost the national semis against them. If I'm Geno, I use that as motivation. UConn, in large part due to injury, was robbed of a chance to play Tennessee for the NC, the matchup ESPN and many others wanted. Clearly, ESPN (and many others) want UConn-ND. Winning this game is a necessary first step!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Having 40 minutes of KML and a possibly improved contribution from Stewie vis a vis the last time the teams played are big positives.

What we had in November that we don't have in April:

• [ ]Morgan Tuck, who did hit some huge threes in the second half. Obviously, she's not been playing.
    [ ]Saniya Chong nailed two big first-half threes. She just hasn't been hitting them reliably lately.
    [ ]This isn't a home game this time, though it's not on the road either.
I hope Stewie and KML can make up the difference.

IN 2007-08, UConn beat Stanford by 12 in November and then lost the national semis against them. If I'm Geno, I use that as motivation. UConn, in large part due to injury, was robbed of a chance to play Tennessee for the NC, the matchup ESPN and many others wanted. Clearly, ESPN (and many others) want UConn-ND. Winning this game is a necessary first step!
Moriah Jefferson is playing a completely different game than she did in that second game of the year. No matter how much Tara might be tempted to slack off of her, I don't think you can not guard someone who over the course of two months is shooting the three at over 60%. And KML in that first game was shooting only 1-4 from 3 up until the injury. In fact Uconn in that game hit only 25% with Moriah 0-3 and 1-7 overall with 2 assists and 2 turnovers - I think easily her worst game of the season.

Reaction Score
Stokes is much better. I have not been one of her biggest fans, but she has really impressed me with her performance as of late. And I think she can do a really good job on Chiney.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Stokes is much better. I have not been one of her biggest fans, but she has really impressed me with her performance as of late. And I think she can do a really good job on Chiney.
Her confidence on the defensive end has been unreal- she is obviously a world class shot blocker and rebounder! I have noticed some of our runs of late have been with her on the floor, resting Stewie and starters. And usually, our offense sputters a bit when she is on the floor. So they have been using her effectively, and she must be getting in the flow and screening really well. Her defensive and rebounding must be helping our quick break transition B Ball as well! It is great to see her become an integral part of this run!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Since our game with them early in the season we both have gotten better. But they know us and we know them. Their bench is a little longer than ours, so what's new , we have had that problem since we met early and KML went down.

It's going to come down to who executes better.

Stanford sure has a lot of bench players, but lately has been mostly using either Samuelson or Greenfield subbing in for James who will probably start and then quickly sit for the rest of the game. In the November UConn/Stanford game, 3 starters (Green, Ruef and K Johnson) plus Samuelson combined to shoot 3-21, with Orrange being a handful. Green and K Johnson hardly get any minutes now, being replaced by Thompson and James (then Samuelson/Greenfield). In last night's game Ruef, Samuelson and Thompson shot a combined 14-29, much improved over the game against UConn in Nov. UNC dared Ruef to make shots and she did, including three 3-pointers to give her 5 on the season.

UConn of course presents problems for Stanford that it didn't see last night from UNC. Dolson/Stokes have been able to guard Chiney without help, thus allowing other defenders to stay with Stanford's shooters. UConn's length bothered Stanford in the first meeting and that will still be the case in Nashville. UConn was also able to beat Stanford repeatedly in transition and UConn will try to expose Samuelson and Ruef on the break.

Still, as is always the case, it'll come down to making shots.

Reaction Score
Their bench is a little longer than ours,

Their top 5 players played 184 out of 200 minutes last night.

Btw, did Sara James really start and then only play 3 mins?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Their top 5 players played 184 out of 200 minutes last night.

Btw, did Sara James really start and then only play 3 mins?

Yes. She's like Doty was in the FF last year.

Reaction Score
As Geno says, only good teams are left now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom