OT: - Brian Bowen's father says ex-louisville assistant Kenny Johnson gave him $1,300 | The Boneyard

OT: Brian Bowen's father says ex-louisville assistant Kenny Johnson gave him $1,300

Reaction Score
:rolleyes:

But it's about football
Hence the OT :rolleyes: and revelant to UConn even if it is.... "football :rolleyes: " as it is literally the only thing lville had over UConn as a whole. Have you not heard enough about bball already? This just adds to the correct narrative that lville was actually a bad inclusion for the acc.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Bowen Sr.: Ex-Louisville coach paid him $1,300

Everytime I start to become ok with the idea of being stuck in the AAC I feel like another story like this comes out. Pisses me off, Uconn would have been a better fit in basically every way outside of fball for the ACC but they got passed up for this nonsense.
Hate to break it to you, but our last coach is under investigation, and you know we must have our fair share of under the radar deals. They're just really bad at not getting caught.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn had an incredible string of bad luck in realignment. The ACC buying Louisville at their absolute zenith was just one part of it.

On this topic....Louisville’s world is about to cave in.

In June, 2017, Louisville went on probation.

In August, 2017, an assistant coach paid a recruit’s father who had moved his family to a hotel in Louisville.

Repeat-violator status is triggered when a school commits a major violation within five years of the announcement of a previous major violation. It doesn’t even matter if it’s in the same sport.

Freaking Louisville didn’t even make it out of the same season before the same sport committed an egregious violation.

Good luck, hayseeds.

The repeat-violator legislation (“death penalty”) is applicable to an institution if, within a five-year period, the following conditions exist:

• Following the announcement of a major case, a major violation occurs and
  • The second violation occurred within five years of the starting date of the penalty assessed in the first case. The second major case does not have to be in the same sport as the previous case to affect the second sport.
  • Penalties for repeat violators of legislation, subject to exemptions authorized by the committee on the basis of specifically stated reasons, may include any of the following:
    • The prohibition of some or all outside competition in the sport involved in the latest major violation for one or two sport seasons and the prohibition of all coaching staff members in that sport from involvement (directly or indirectly) in any coaching activities at the institution during that period
    • The elimination of all initial grants-in-aid and recruiting activities in the sport involved in the latest major violation in question for a two-year period.
    • The requirement that all institutional staff member serving on the NCAA Board of Directors; Leadership, Legislative, Presidents or Management Councils; Executive Committee or other Association governance bodies resign their positions. All institutional representatives shall be ineligible to serve on any NCAA committee for a period of four years and
    • The requirement that the institution relinquish its Association voting privileges for a four-year period.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Hate to break it to you, but our last coach is under investigation, and you know we must have our fair share of under the radar deals. They're just really bad at not getting caught.

Hate to break it to you, but you’re not even comparing apples to oranges here.

Post less, think more.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Hate to break it to you, but you’re not even comparing apples to oranges here.

Post less, think more.
If it seemed like I was saying we were in the same stratosphere as Louisville, then let me clarify, I don't think we've sunk that low, at all. But I also don't think we should be sitting on a high horse, when we are currently being investigated. Doesn't that seem ironic?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
My guess a slap on the wrist with a loss of scholarships and postseason ban and nothing more.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If it seemed like I was saying we were in the same stratosphere as Louisville, then let me clarify, I don't think we've sunk that low, at all. But I also don't think we should be sitting on a high horse, when we are currently being investigated. Doesn't that seem ironic?

Louisville went on probation for having hookers in their dorms entertaining recruits. Fresh off of that, they arranged to have adidas pay a recruit’s family $100,000 and actually did the old-fashioned bag man routine where a coach handed a cash envelope to his dad.

Trying to equate that in any way to Kevin Ollie’s non-sensical violations is just silly.

I realize that someone has to try to be ‘that guy’ in every thread, but that guy always tends to look like a moron for his efforts. Don’t be that guy next time.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My guess a slap on the wrist with a loss of scholarships and postseason ban and nothing more.

That works the first time around.

Two things you really should not try with the NCAA....

1) Lie to them.
2) Commit a major violation before the ink is dry on the last one.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Louisville went on probation for having hookers in their dorms entertaining recruits. Fresh off of that, they arranged to have adidas pay a recruit’s family $100,000 and actually did the old-fashioned bag man routine where a coach handed a cash envelope to his dad.

Trying to equate that in any way to Kevin Ollie’s non-sensical violations is just silly.

I realize that someone has to try to be ‘that guy’ in every thread, but that guy always tends to look like a moron for his efforts. Don’t be that guy next time.

Serial murder vs running a red.

Reaction Score
Bowen Sr.: Ex-Louisville coach paid him $1,300

Everytime I start to become ok with the idea of being stuck in the AAC I feel like another story like this comes out. Pisses me off, Uconn would have been a better fit in basically every way outside of fball for the ACC but they got passed up for this nonsense.
Maybe not Football. Louisville is also ranked in the bottem 25 this year. No reason we can not get good enough to compete with lower tier ACC. We have played and beaten some of them in the past.

Reaction Score
I figured UNC would be fine (although I thought they'd at least lose a scholarship or something). I think Louisville will be fine also. There's no way the NCAA would death penalty a P5, nor do I believe they will do more than put them on some version of double secret probation.

The reasons given will be: i) UL has seen the light and got rid of their coach and AD immediately after these accusations; ii) none of the players that received benefits are currently on the team and Bowen never played so it's not fair to penalize the current players; iii) this situation was handled criminally and would be unfair to penalize the school in addition to the criminal proceedings; and iv) the P5 conferences told us that we shouldn't look behind this curtain. (sorry, ignore (iv), the NCAA's account was hacked and we didn't have a reason (iv)).

Reaction Score
UConn had an incredible string of bad luck in realignment. The ACC buying Louisville at their absolute zenith was just one part of it.

On this topic....Louisville’s world is about to cave in.

In June, 2017, Louisville went on probation.

In August, 2017, an assistant coach paid a recruit’s father who had moved his family to a hotel in Louisville.

Repeat-violator status is triggered when a school commits a major violation within five years of the announcement of a previous major violation. It doesn’t even matter if it’s in the same sport.

Freaking Louisville didn’t even make it out of the same season before the same sport committed an egregious violation.

Good luck, hayseeds.

The repeat-violator legislation (“death penalty”) is applicable to an institution if, within a five-year period, the following conditions exist:
  • Following the announcement of a major case, a major violation occurs and
  • The second violation occurred within five years of the starting date of the penalty assessed in the first case. The second major case does not have to be in the same sport as the previous case to affect the second sport.
  • Penalties for repeat violators of legislation, subject to exemptions authorized by the committee on the basis of specifically stated reasons, may include any of the following:
    • The prohibition of some or all outside competition in the sport involved in the latest major violation for one or two sport seasons and the prohibition of all coaching staff members in that sport from involvement (directly or indirectly) in any coaching activities at the institution during that period
    • The elimination of all initial grants-in-aid and recruiting activities in the sport involved in the latest major violation in question for a two-year period.
    • The requirement that all institutional staff member serving on the NCAA Board of Directors; Leadership, Legislative, Presidents or Management Councils; Executive Committee or other Association governance bodies resign their positions. All institutional representatives shall be ineligible to serve on any NCAA committee for a period of four years and
    • The requirement that the institution relinquish its Association voting privileges for a four-year period.
I am with @Fishy on this one. This is a pretty clear standard. The fact that it was the same sport, and the evidence they have...Louisville is going to get hit with MAJOR penalties. Plus the new rule the NCAA can use another investigation as their own will also hurt them.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, there are too many high profile programs involved with this basketball scandal for the NCAA to be tough on schools. My guess is that Louisville gets a slap on the wrist due to committing a major violation while on probation while the rest of the schools get a pass. The NCAA will tell everyone "don't do it again because next time we will respond with harsh penalties."

Reaction Score
Louisville should and will get hit hard by the NCAA here.

I mean, the NCAA accepted a 2015-2016 postseason ban and made them vacate 120+ games including the 2012 Final Four and 2013 National Championship due to the sex scandal. And that was before they were caught paying for players.

If the NCAA feels that Louisville didn't learn from a postseason ban and vacating final fours and national championships, they are going to do everything possible to make sure Louisville gets it this time. Expecting 3+ scholarship reductions for a couple of years and maybe another postseason ban.

Reaction Score
Death penalty for any school in a major conference, I think not going to happen.

Reaction Score
Louisville should and will get hit hard by the NCAA here.

I mean, the NCAA accepted a 2015-2016 postseason ban and made them vacate 120+ games including the 2012 Final Four and 2013 National Championship due to the sex scandal. And that was before they were caught paying for players.

If the NCAA feels that Louisville didn't learn from a postseason ban and vacating final fours and national championships, they are going to do everything possible to make sure Louisville gets it this time. Expecting 3+ scholarship reductions for a couple of years and maybe another postseason ban.
Probably is wishful thinking on my part but committing MAJOR violations while on MAJOR probation should equal at least 2 postseason bans IMO. Probably won't happen...

Reaction Score
WVU won the battle with Louisville for a spot in the Big 12, but they would have been better off had they lost, as they'd likely be in the ACC now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ii) none of the players that received benefits are currently on the team and Bowen never played so it's not fair to penalize the current players
This argument still makes my blood boil. I freaking hate the NCAA.

Reaction Score
I am with @Fishy on this one. This is a pretty clear standard. The fact that it was the same sport, and the evidence they have...Louisville is going to get hit with MAJOR penalties. Plus the new rule the NCAA can use another investigation as their own will also hurt them.

New penalties when? 2022?

Doug kick him off the tour!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom