Brewster Wed Night | The Boneyard

Brewster Wed Night

Reaction Score
Hopefully this post will get your mind off of tonight's disappointment. I was able to watch a good portion of the Brewster vs New Hampton game tonight before leaving to get home to UConn game. Only about 30-40 fans so was able to watch at floor level up close. Matis Batulis, Taylor Bowen, Reed Bailey, Dasonte Bowen, and Reid Ducharme started. Aaron Clarke, and Jenkins also played

Thoughts & Observations on the Players we have shown interest in:
1. All the starters could fit together in a telephone booth and still have room to dance. These are primarily 2023 kids, but none of them seem to have a frame to add any bulk. Wirey at best. In the Kevin Ollie years we wondered why we only had skinny kids, these kids are all in that mold in spades.
2. This is all high ranked talent, but I don't think any of them will carry their college teams. They will all bring particular attributes to a team but will just be a part of success, (unlike Karaban and Clingan that I think have the capability to define a team and be built around as the centerpieces).
3. Taylor Bol-Bowen is much more of a small forward than I thought. I had thought of him more as an Akok type player, but he likes to run, fly, and attack with the ball in his hands dribbling. I wasn't expecting that. He is very fast. His dribbling is straight line versus the concept of dribbling against pressure, but he handled the ball much better than I expected in the open court, and more frequently than I expected. He'll get his share of blocks but is not the high rim protector I thought he was. He'll make threes, but just here and there. On specific possessions he played tough in the lane, but on others he drifted and watched. He slashed to the basket with authority and success. I haven't thought of a comp for him in our past, but see some Rudy Johnson flashes the way he played tonight. I think Bowen could create Andre Jackson havoc in the backcourt in a pressure defense. Setting up in the half court will waste his strengths. His natural tendency is to go like hell with the ball when he gets a defensive rebound.
4. Between AAU, Brewster games this summer, and this game, I have yet to see Reid Ducharme do much of anything to justify a ranking. He made a 3 while I watched but just doesn't affect the game much. He is always listed at 6'6 but my guess is 6'4 maybe. Griffith is a much much better shooting prospect I believe. Ducharme seems like the type of player that leads a Lafayette/Colgate type team rather than a team seeking championships.
5. Matis Batulis hit a couple of deep threes and clearly has skills, but couldn't take over the game. The ball was forced out of his hands and he could be defended.
He took what was given him but could't dominate.
6. Aaron Clarke seemed smaller than advertised and missed several shots. I didn't see anything from him as an important target.
7. @superjohn likes Jenkins but he was real small. In warm ups he was attacking the rim to dunk and was barely getting his fingertips over the rim in 3-4 tries. He made a three but didn't show anything special handling the ball in the few minutes he ran the team. My interest is cool here too.

I don't think this Brewster team is quite as good as other years despite all the ranked players. I'm assuming Batulis is destined elsewhere. Bowen is the only other player I think fits with us, but not really as the rebounding rim protecting frontcourt player I had been thinking. Admittedly, I am looking at players with a view as to whether they can help us win a championship with the core we expect to have, rather than whether they are just good enough to be on the team.

Respectfully submitted for Boneyard consumption and critique.

Reaction Score
Hopefully this post will get your mind off of tonight's disappointment. I was able to watch a good portion of the Brewster vs New Hampton game tonight before leaving to get home to UConn game. Only about 30-40 fans so was able to watch at floor level up close. Matis Batulis, Taylor Bowen, Reed Bailey, Dasonte Bowen, and Reid Ducharme started. Aaron Clarke, and Jenkins also played

1. All the starters could fit together in a telephone booth and still have room to dance. These are primarily 2023 kids, but none of them seem to have a frame to add any bulk. Wirey at best. In the Kevin Ollie years we wondered why we only had skinny kids, these kids are all in that mold in spades.
2. This is all high ranked talent, but I don't think any of them will carry their college teams. They will all bring particular attributes to a team but will just be a part of success, (unlike Karaban and Clingan that I think have the capability to define a team and be built around as the centerpieces).
3. Taylor Bol-Bowen is much more of a small forward than I thought. I had thought of him more as an Akok type player, but he likes to run, fly, and attack with the ball in his hands dribbling. I wasn't expecting that. He is very fast. His dribbling is straight line versus the concept of dribbling against pressure, but he handled the ball much better than I expected in the open court, and more frequently than I expected. He'll get his share of blocks but is not the high rim protector I thought he was. He'll make threes, but just here and there. On specific possessions he played tough in the lane, but on others he drifted and watched. He slashed to the basket with authority and success. I haven't thought of a comp for him in our past, but see some Rudy Johnson flashes the way he played tonight. I think Bowen could create Andre Jackson havoc in the backcourt in a pressure defense. Setting up in the half court will waste his strengths. His natural tendency is to go like hell with the ball when he gets a defensive rebound.
4. Between AAU, Brewster games this summer, and this game, I have yet to see Reid Ducharme do much of anything to justify a ranking. He made a 3 while I watched but just doesn't affect the game much. He is always listed at 6'6 but my guess is 6'4 maybe. Griffith is a much much better shooting prospect I believe. Ducharme seems like the type of player that leads a Lafayette/Colgate type team rather than a team seeking championships.
5. Matis Batulis hit a couple of deep threes and clearly has skills, but couldn't take over the game. The ball was forced out of his hands and he could be defended.
6. Aaron Clarke seemed smaller than advertised and missed several shots. I didn't see anything from him as an important target.
7. @superjohn likes Jenkins but he was real small. In warm ups he was attacking the rim to dunk and was barely getting his fingertips over the rim in 3-4 tries. He made a three but didn't show anything special handling the ball in the few minutes he ran the team. My interest is cool here too.

I don't think this Brewster team is quite as good as other years despite all the ranked players. I'm assuming Batulis is destined elsewhere. Bowen is the only other player I think fits with us, but not really as the rebounding rim protecting frontcourt player I had been thinking. Admittedly, I am looking at players with a view as to whether they can help us win a championship with the core we expect to have, rather than whether they are just good enough to be on the team.

Haven't been a fan of Ducharme either. I wonder if we continue to recruit him at all

Reaction Score

Also... I'm glad to see Bowen showed some offensive chops. He has been very limited offensively in the games I've seen. He may just be a streaky kid that is developing confidence in his skillset.

Agree he's more 3/4 than 4/5 like Akok and Johnson. Not nearly as natural a shotblocker. More of a lockdown perimeter guy... could see him guarding 1-4 in games with ease by the time he's a sophomore or junior.

Reaction Score

I just root for local kids, have only seen Jenkins is camps where he does really well. Never seen him even play in high school, he's tiny and old for his class.

Reaction Score
Agreed, I was very underwhelmed by Brewster altogether when I saw them a few weeks ago in New Haven. I wouldn't be upset if we cooled down on any of that starting 5. They'll all go D1, deservingly, but I'm not sure they're as "high major" as we're led to believe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom