Brandon Zermeno - late QB add for depth | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Brandon Zermeno - late QB add for depth

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Quarterback passed for 214/game. Passed 484 plays ran 496. Total offense 346/game. These are season averages. So I’m not exactly sure where the idea that Carlton is some kind of offensive genius came from. His offense the year he was OC at Maine was pretty pedestrian by current standards. They won a bunch of games to be sure, but they certainly wouldn’t be confused with the greatest show on turf. And I think the offense they are currently running is pretty pedestrian too. If it is because Zion can’t make plays, that is a problem. If it is because the OC really isn’t that creative, we have a different problem.
I think the genius rep came from interviews with the players. Numerous times they raved about Charlton's creativity.

It doesn't seem fair to judge him yet, but I think if there is any time we need to see creativity, it would be now...lol.

Reaction Score
I think the genius rep came from interviews with the players. Numerous times they raved about Charlton's creativity.

It doesn't seem fair to judge him yet, but I think if there is any time we need to see creativity, it would be now...lol.
Why does every OC have to be a genius?

It comes down to players. I like UConn’s offensive design, much better than what we saw previous two years where it felt like they were just calling plays and had no philosophy. Issue with Charlton’s offense is no one can get open verticallyx and the QB is young.

I have blamed coaches enough over 10 years. Comes down to players. Coaches gotta be more creative here, Ut end of day get open and make a play.

Can the WRs throw a block once in a while on those WR screens?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
UConn needs another arm and he can run the scout team which helps a lot.

I will add this. UConn needs to add another 10 or so walk-ons if they want as UConn needs bodies as HCJM pointed out

Reaction Score

It comes down to players. I like UConn’s offensive design, much better than what we saw previous two years where it felt like they were just calling plays and had no philosophy. Issue with Charlton’s offense is no one can get open verticallyx and the QB is young.

I have blamed coaches enough over 10 years. Comes down to players. Coaches gotta be more creative here, Ut end of day get open and make a play.

I get what you are saying, and I agree to a point. But seriously, nobody can get open? Never? There. is no design to throw long or medium passes, it seems. Or the quarterback can’t can’t do it. I mean I saw Zergiotis throw several long tds. As a true freshman behind Swiss cheese olines. I had zero expectation of beating Michigan. But throwing for 24 yards ? Yikes. Longest completion is 7 yards by Millen late? The offense is so bad it makes out defensive backfield seem solid. Maybe it is time to get away from a playbook Zion feels comfortable and go with one we need to move the football.

Reaction Score

Our wide receivers should watch MIchigan's wr downfield blocking and hopefully learn from it. About as good as it gets.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Um....I didn't say he had to be a genius...I was just answering why he has the genius reputation.

But...I think you are letting Charlton off the hook too easy. He has to either figure out a way to coach up players to "get open and make a play"...or he has to design plays that succeed despite the team's deficiencies.

I am not saying Charlton sucks because they aren't passing for 300 yards a game. But I do think it's fair to question him when they only pass for 24 yards.

Circumstances are extreme....and he needs time...but it's fair to question.

Reaction Score
I don't get wanting the staff to ask players to execute plays they don't think the players are capable of executing. It would be like asking the basketball team, on a night they are getting blown out and can't get anything going inside, having Sanogo start chucking up threes just because nothing else is working.
I have to say, not exactly. We are asking wide receivers to catch footballs. The idea is not so much they will break open every time. The idea is you take pressure off the box because they have to cover, because if they do get lazy and cheat, then our second class WRs are perfectly capable of catching a deep pass. The same goes with the mid-range passing. Simply using your TEs to block and release and move 12 yards down field behind the LBs forces them to back off the LOS and hold. A few passes behind the LBs does wonders. They simply have to account for a possible releasing TE. This is hugely effective in a play action. None of these things were done, and they are perfectly executable. Where I do agree is Zion can’t throw in small windows. So, what’s “open” is a function of QB accuracy and ability to put the ball where it must be when there is small separation. Final thought on this point. I am amazed how none of the guys were taught any back shoulder techniques. When you can’t beat man coverage, underthrowing to the back shoulder can work wonders.

Reaction Score
I have to say, not exactly. We are asking wide receivers to catch footballs. The idea is not so much they will break open every time. The idea is you take pressure off the box because they have to cover, because if they do get lazy and cheat, then our second class WRs are perfectly capable of catching a deep pass. The same goes with the mid-range passing. Simply using your TEs to block and release and move 12 yards down field behind the LBs forces them to back off the LOS and hold. A few passes behind the LBs does wonders. They simply have to account for a possible releasing TE. This is hugely effective in a play action. None of these things were done, and they are perfectly executable. Where I do agree is Zion can’t throw in small windows. So, what’s “open” is a function of QB accuracy and ability to put the ball where it must be when there is small separation. Final thought on this point. I am amazed how none of the guys were taught any back shoulder techniques. When you can’t beat man coverage, underthrowing to the back shoulder can work wonders.

No one is doubting that to have an effective offense you have to be able to throw the ball down the field at least somewhat. You are assuming that our unwillingness to do so is based on something other than knowing our personnel isn't good enough to execute it. I believe that the more rational assumption is that the coaches have tried it in practice and know we aren't good enough to do it.

Reaction Score
Our wide receivers should watch MIchigan's wr downfield blocking and hopefully learn from it. About as good as it gets.
I agree. Multiple times, the bigger wide receivers from Michigan sealed off the UConn defenders from even making a play on Michigan receiver who just caught the ball and ran outside. Unfortunately, I believe that Fitzgerald was one of the better blockers and he just got injured.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
No one is doubting that to have an effective offense you have to be able to throw the ball down the field at least somewhat. You are assuming that our unwillingness to do so is based on something other than knowing our personnel isn't good enough to execute it. I believe that the more rational assumption is that the coaches have tried it in practice and know we aren't good enough to do it.

I agree with this. The coaches know better than anyone on this board 1) what plays win games and 2) what plays our team can execute.

Reaction Score
Let's see. The coaches determine that players (even with good scheme) can't execute down field passes so that's off the table.
Coaches determine that can execute short passing game and running offense without down field passing. Play game and get 24 yards passing and 84 yards rushing on 33 rushes.
Now coaches are preparing for NCST. Not sure how after Michigan game could come up with plan all of a sudden to be able to pass down field so guess that is off the table still. So how do they run the current offense with no down field passing, whatever the plan was it didn't work against Michigan. NCST is not Michigan but neither are they CCSU.
The answer is you can't run the offense without down field passing and/or running QB. That would be my dilemma if I was coaching, luckily these guys are professional coaches and I'm just some guy posting semi-nonsense on the BY.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i think the wr thing is all aboot a failure on the equipment manager coach. that makes twice. last year shoes, and this year the lack of providing them with brass knuckles for one hand, and a can of mace for the other in order to help them get open. and don't ask how they are supposed to catch the ball with that stuff, since, obviously, they just drop the mace after firing it when the ball is heading their way. ezpz.
now, that's separation.

and why aren't our guys wearing kevlar, toe to noggin?
signed, someone not completely apoplectic over losing to much better teams, yet concerned aboot not having the right stuff. fire him, and hire that robocop guy, or the 6 million dollar guy, or tony stark.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hey charlton! we should run this play, too!
i mean, dirk kinda used it all the time with his knee when he shot the ball, and he's heading to the hall as a championship winner.

i just can't understand why a lot of my ideas crash like a lead balloon.

Reaction Score
The problem is that the TE’s on the field right now aren’t effective and they lost their best blocking TE to injury before the season. We can’t catch a break with all of these injuries.

Reaction Score
Um....I didn't say he had to be a genius...I was just answering why he has the genius reputation.

But...I think you are letting Charlton off the hook too easy. He has to either figure out a way to coach up players to "get open and make a play"...or he has to design plays that succeed despite the team's deficiencies.

I am not saying Charlton sucks because they aren't passing for 300 yards a game. But I do think it's fair to question him when they only pass for 24 yards.

Circumstances are extreme....and he needs time...but it's fair to

We can blame Mora, players, OC for 24 yards passing because that little amount of passing is a joke.

That said:

Does anyone really think the play calling is an issue? They have a backup freshman qb, third string RB, 4th string WRs.

The issue is that The degradation of the program depth wise from Diaco to Edsall to Mora is a disaster. UConn’s first string players can be competitive, but once you get to the backups and back half of the roster there is a wide gap in ability.

Mora has to not only get dynamic players, which UConn doesn’t have, he needs to get the 40-85 on the roster elevated. They just don’t have any depth that can step in competently. No one is open in passing game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am inclined to agree, but reread your last sentence and realize what a staggering statement that actually is.

Reaction Score
Where I do agree is Zion can’t throw in small windows. So, what’s “open” is a function of QB accuracy and ability to put the ball where it must be when there is small separation.
Actually it is anticipation and timing ... as well as accuracy. Being open is time dependent and very transient. First the WR is covered, he makes a certain move that the QB expects, and then for a split second the WR is open. Then the window closes. That is a complicated physics problem as well as a problem for the QB to have confidence that the WB will deliver what is expected and the throw has to be initiated often when the WR is still covered, bookkeeping that he will deliver the move at the prcise moment that the QB's arm starts forward causing the ball to arrive at precisely the right moment.

Not surprising that ZT and the WR's are not yet quite on the same page. But that is exactly the reason I have advocated opening it up and letting him pass more. Sure, NCST and Fresno may blow them out, but the WR's and QB's will learn and team up a lot faster for when it really matters -- in the second half of the season.

Reaction Score
The passing game is not Charlton's fault right now. You must give him a pass based upon injuries to WRs, starting QB, and even starting RB as well as the strength of schedule. The fact of the matter is that the Michigans and NC St.s of the world are going to man cover. And their 4 star DBs are going to lock down UConn's third string WRs 80% of the time. Giving not an inch to deliver a ball. 15% of the time that they are open momentarily ZT will be either sacked or hurried from the pocket, leaving a whopping 5% of the time our FRESHMAN QB has to comfortably deliver a well-timed accurate throw. He has not converted much in his 5% but what can you expect. With a lack of run game against the big boys those safeties will hawk in the intermediate game too. No design from Charlton is going to alleviate any of those issues right now. Maybe when we have everyone back or against lower level comp.

Reaction Score
The passing game is not Charlton's fault right now. You must give him a pass based upon injuries to WRs, starting QB, and even starting RB as well as the strength of schedule. The fact of the matter is that the Michigans and NC St.s of the world are going to man cover. And their 4 star DBs are going to lock down UConn's third string WRs 80% of the time. Giving not an inch to deliver a ball. 15% of the time that they are open momentarily ZT will be either sacked or hurried from the pocket, leaving a whopping 5% of the time our FRESHMAN QB has to comfortably deliver a well-timed accurate throw. He has not converted much in his 5% but what can you expect. With a lack of run game against the big boys those safeties will hawk in the intermediate game too. No design from Charlton is going to alleviate any of those issues right now. Maybe when we have everyone back or against lower level comp.
Excellent "knowledge of the game" post!! Thank you.

Reaction Score
I am inclined to agree, but reread your last sentence and realize what a staggering statement that actually is.

Agreed, but the other option is that the coaches aren't smart enough collectively to realize what everyone on the board realizes. As staggering a conclusion as it is, it is the far more rational and likely one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom