OT: - Brady doesn't understand how roasts work | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Brady doesn't understand how roasts work

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'll give it this, it was better than pretty much every Comedy Central roast I've seen. But I'm old enough to remember the old Friar's Club roasts. Those were typically great because everyone being roasted actually did know everyone doing the roasting.

I thought Bledsoe comported himself well, both in his routine and in taking the flak send his way, and it was a lot of flak.

Glaser was great. And I'm not generally a fan of her standup. I'm pretty unfamiliar with Sam Jay, but she got off a number of good ones.

Belichick actually showed personality and wit for the first time in maybe ever. .

I thought the number (and quality) of "Brady is gay" jokes were lazy humor. Same for the "Brady doesn't like Black receivers" lines. Do it once, get the laugh, move on to something else.

I thought Gronk was actually pretty funny. He got off some zingers, but was also hilarious for doing stereotypical Gronk things without trying to be funny,

Tony Hinchcliffe is not funny. Ferrell needs to retire Burgundy. And Andrew Schultz can be funny, but why was he there instead of one of the dozens of great Boston standups?

I still don't get the appeal of Bert Kreisher.

And why is Ben Affleck looking more and more like Bruce Springsteen each year?

Reaction Score
I'll give it this, it was better than pretty much every Comedy Central roast I've seen. But I'm old enough to remember the old Friar's Club roasts. Those were typically great because everyone being roasted actually did know everyone doing the roasting.

I thought Bledsoe comported himself well, both in his routine and in taking the flak send his way, and it was a lot of flak.

Glaser was great. And I'm not generally a fan of her standup. I'm pretty unfamiliar with Sam Jay, but she got off a number of good ones.

Belichick actually showed personality and wit for the first time in maybe ever. .

I thought the number (and quality) of "Brady is gay" jokes were lazy humor. Same for the "Brady doesn't like Black receivers" lines. Do it once, get the laugh, move on to something else.

I thought Gronk was actually pretty funny. He got off some zingers, but was also hilarious for doing stereotypical Gronk things without trying to be funny,

Tony Hinchcliffe is not funny. Ferrell needs to retire Burgundy. And Andrew Schultz can be funny, but why was he there instead of one of the dozens of great Boston standups?

I still don't get the appeal of Bert Kreisher.

Nikki Glaser, Andrew Schultz, Tony Hinchcliffe, Bert Kreisher...

This sounds like the 7th circle of hell. Were any funny people actually there?

Greg Giraldo is turning over in his grave.

Reaction Score

No Jeselnik either. And I would have taken Amy Shumer over most of them, to be quite honest.

Reaction Score
No Jeselnik either. And I would have taken Amy Shumer over most of them, to be quite honest.
Yeah, Jeselnik and Giraldo are/were the best. I think Glaser is funny. I had never heard of Hinchcliffe before last night but thought he did a solid job. I tend to really like Tom Segura's standup but his skit with Kreischer wasn't very good. I hadn't heard of Shultz either. I didn't think he was terrible but I wouldn't miss him. Kevin Hart made a quip about them trying to get Chapelle to host. My God, how much better would it have been with Dave instead of Kevin?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Because Springsteen is looking more and more like Woody Allen each year???

Bruce-Springsteen-looks-like-Woody-Allen.jpg

Reaction Score
No he was serious and I understand why but Brady has a good sense of humor. Picture your own father ( and Kraft is a father figure to him) being arrested with a prostitute, you’re at an event and the MC brings it up in a joke. You would smile uncomfortably and be pissed off.
Then dont attend a roast. That was weak as.f on Bradys part.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

To be fair, IMO, Glaser had the best joke of the night.

Reaction Score
I thought Hart was an amazing host. He kept it fun and loose all night, with a dais that was doomed to fail from the beginning. Granted, That’s what happens when only 6 of 12 people on the stage do comedy for a living, lol…Him and McFarlane are the best I’ve seen do this.

Glazer, Hinchcliffe, Ron Burgandy & Sam Jay all killed. Edelman and Gronk were decent, and belicheck was good for what little amount you could expect. Thought Bledsoe was decent too.

Overall good roast that went too long because too many football players got to vomit on the mic.

Oh sorry, that last part was meant to be about Ben Affleck…holy Sh he was terrible

Reaction Score
Kevin Hart is never funny I have a hard time believing they actually had him MC this event?? I’m sure eventually I will tune in. Heard Affleck was awful as well, sounds like most of the movies he acts in.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The GOAT FB coach roasted the GOAT FB player about his soccer team.

Reaction Score
Kevin Hart is never funny I have a hard time believing they actually had him MC this event?? I’m sure eventually I will tune in. Heard Affleck was awful as well, sounds like most of the movies he acts in.
Our rare disagreement. Kevin Hart is funny. You disappoint me. Lol!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Haters gonna hate, covering a very broad spectrum and a bunch of different people in thread

You know you made it when you're being roasted

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Eh, you guys are being too tough on these comics. In a roast, not every joke is going to crush, and an arena is not the place to do the show. It also shouldn’t be longer than an hour or so long.
I liked Schulz’s jokes and some of Glaser’s. Tony’s jokes were well written, too.

Also, some of you might look at some of these comics and say who’s that - but the nature of the expansion of media has really changed stand up to wider variety of small stars with fan bases that appreciate their styles. I’ve been on shows with some of these comics ten or so years ago when I was doing stand up, and they are better than you realize. Few roasts can reasonably be caught via the camera - in fact the only recent special that would make me laugh out loud was Kurt Metzger’s 30 minute special from about 7 months ago. Before that, I might be going all the way back to Patrice O’Neal.

Reaction Score
Eh, you guys are being too tough on these comics. In a roast, not every joke is going to crush, and an arena is not the place to do the show. It also shouldn’t be longer than an hour or so long.
I liked Schulz’s jokes and some of Glaser’s. Tony’s jokes were well written, too.

Also, some of you might look at some of these comics and say who’s that - but the nature of the expansion of media has really changed stand up to wider variety of small stars with fan bases that appreciate their styles. I’ve been on shows with some of these comics ten or so years ago when I was doing stand up, and they are better than you realize. Few roasts can reasonably be caught via the camera - in fact the only recent special that would make me laugh out loud was Kurt Metzger’s 30 minute special from about 7 months ago. Before that, I might be going all the way back to Patrice O’Neal.
I did not watch but did see a clip and noticed it was in an arena and i thought that was idiotic.

Reaction Score
Glaser was the funniest of the night for me. Edelman and Gronk were solid too. Bill as well.

Her crypto joke and her boyfriend joke were both hilarious

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I know comedy is subjective, but Nikki Glaser is really good at roasts. I’m trying not to say anything definitive about such a subjective thing, I just think it’s totally wild to say flat out “she’s not funny.”

You could totally say you don’t find her as funny as most do, that’s how I have ALWAYS felt about Kevin Hart. He seems like a funny guy to hang with but I never find his jokes funny or clever.

Also, the whole premise of this thread is odd. Brady handled everything in a way that indicates he definitely understands roasts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom