Bracket Reveal top 16 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Bracket Reveal top 16

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We can argue about this all day. With the exception of blowing out Marquette we’ve been a fairly ugly basketball team, even when we win, for months. I think that factors in. Today was more of the same. If we shoot even “ok” we win by 24.

Just keep winning and it won’t matter.

Reaction Score
Less cupcakes and better quality cupcakes. The tournaments and challenges are fine.
I would hazard a guess UConn only team in country that went 5-0 in OOC vs P6.

There will until the end of time always be 5 games in OOC schedule against lesser opponents that are varying level of cupcakeness.

Last edited:

caw

Reaction Score
Seed at yesterday's announcement on left, parentheses AP ranking :

1. Alabama (1)
2. Houston (2)
3. Purdue (3)
4. Kansas (5)
5. Texas (6)
6. Arizona (8)
7. Baylor (9)
8. UCLA (4)
9. Tennessee (10)
10. Virginia (7)
11. Iowa State (19)
12. Kansas State (12)
13. Indiana (14)
14. Marquette (11)
15. Gonzaga (13)
16. Xavier (16)

So only Miami (15) was in the AP top 16 and not in the seeded group, but they were in the next four with Creighton (18), SMC (17) and UConn(20). So it does appear the committee follows the AP poll.

Bold = lost 2/18
Underlined = lost this past week

21-25 AP poll

SDSU (21)
TCU (22)
NC State (23)
Providence (24)
FAU(25)

That's 13 losses in the AP poll this week, 3 today in the 16 seeded teams and 9 total in the 16 seeded teams, 10 while including the next four.

NC State (UNC) and Purdue (OSU) play tomorrow but shouldn't make a difference to UConn's ranking, though both could be upsets (more likely UNC than OSU winning).

I think it should be something like this next week for BE teams:

Marquette - 9
X - 17
UConn -18
Creighton - 20
PC - 22

Reaction Score

Maybe Cronin should be grateful for the opportunity to get used to traveling across the country every single week. Their move to the BIG10 says that local travel doesnt mean anything anyway. I find this to be insane as you could simply stay in the pac12 if you dont want to travel east

Reaction Score

i

14. UConn Huskies (20-7)
Previous ranking:
In the waiting room
This week: vs. Providence (Wednesday), at St. John's (Saturday)

UConn felt like the biggest surprise omission from the NCAA's bracket reveal Saturday afternoon. The Huskies are in the top 10 in the NET and the top 10 of every predictive metric -- while also possessing five Quadrant 1 wins, including against Alabama by 15, Iowa State by 18 and Marquette by 15. Their home loss to the Red Storm during a difficult 1-5 stretch in January is the lone negative on the résumé, although none of the profiles in the 4-seed range are without imperfections. UConn has four games left, and should be the favorite in all. Running the table until the Big East tournament would likely secure a top-four seed, leaving the mock reveal a distant memory.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

i

14. UConn Huskies (20-7)
Previous ranking:
In the waiting room

UConn felt like the biggest surprise omission from the NCAA's bracket reveal Saturday afternoon. The Huskies are in the top 10 in the NET and the top 10 of every predictive metric -- while also possessing five Quadrant 1 wins, including against Alabama by 15, Iowa State by 18 and Marquette by 15. Their home loss to the Red Storm during a difficult 1-5 stretch in January is the lone negative on the résumé, although none of the profiles in the 4-seed range are without imperfections. UConn has four games left, and should be the favorite in all. Running the table until the Big East tournament would likely secure a top-four seed, leaving the mock reveal a distant memory.
Seth Davis had UConn at 14 too. I wonder if the NCAA committee will be swayed by the overwhelming consensus that they have UConn too low (and other Big East teams too) and some others like Indiana and K-State, too high.

Reaction Score

i

14. UConn Huskies (20-7)
Previous ranking:
In the waiting room

Borzello has always looked at UConn favorably and without bias. Might be the only ESPN guy I can tolerate.

Reaction Score
For the first time all year he looked confident attacking the rim. Hopefully it wasn't just a blip and he can keep it up through the rest of the year, because he needs to be a net positive when he's on the court.
He still hesitates when he gets the ball and they sag off him. He needs to be aggressive.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That's 13 losses in the AP poll this week, 3 today in the 16 seeded teams and 9 total in the 16 seeded teams, 10 while including the next four.
I think it should be something like this next week for BE teams:
Marquette - 9 (10)
X - 17 (16)
UConn -18 (18)
Creighton - 20 (19)
PC - 22 (20)
Man were you close.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

i

14. UConn Huskies (20-7)
Previous ranking:
In the waiting room

ok, which super duper espn thing is the one?
i mean, it 's not like this one came out only yesterday. wait, it actually did.
ESPN's computer model, the Basketball Power Index, has updated its top 25 rankings on Sunday morning.
ESPN Computer Releases New College Basketball Top 25 Rankings

chasing data dork mania can cause scoliosis. word.
so, there u have it. espn - #5 or #14 at the same time. data for everyone!

seeding - take ap rank, divide by 4, and add beagling to keep it, or add 1, or subtract 1. seeding. even a toddler can learn this.
bro, i got to maintain...

cuz it's all gettin insane in the membrane, and in the data game.

Reaction Score
We can argue about this all day. With the exception of blowing out Marquette we’ve been a fairly ugly basketball team, even when we win, for months. I think that factors in. Today was more of the same. If we shoot even “ok” we win by 24.

Just keep winning and it won’t matter.
I pay some attention to the rankings, but not much. If the Huskies play well they will win most of the times and if they win a lot everything else will take care of itself. Go back to 2002 when the Huskies were not ranked in the TOP 25 at any point in the year, or maybe once, but when they won the BE tourny that year and a had good BE regular season record, I knew they would get a #2 seed. Damn, I wish they had a betting website where I could have put $ on it. I don't always get it right, but that one I did ;);)

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Looking at the consensus teams in the 4-7 seed range (i.e. Bracket Matrix), there are a bunch of Big 12, Big Ten, and Big East teams who will play each other or another highly rated conference opponent. This means it will sort itself out over the next two weeks.

Reaction Score
lunardi currently has us 5 in the East.

if we had to choose, better to be the 5 seed in the East, or a 4 seed elsewhere?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I remember the Big East kicking the shart out of some of these top Big 12 teams.

We all know the Big 12 is the best conference this year but you can easily make a case the Big East is second best. It's certainly second best at the top.
I remain astonished by the number of Big Ten teams they predict to get in. Lunardi has 9 Big Ten teams. Providence would be the 3rd best team in that league. It should be a six bid league at best. The SEC certainly doesn't deserve 8 nor does the Big 12. He has the ACC and Big East with 5. None of it makes any sense.

Reaction Score

This makes a ton of sense, but unfortunately I don't think it makes much of a difference for us. If the committee is placing a major emphasis on road wins against tournament teams we won't stack up well at all.

Reaction Score
I remain astonished by the number of Big Ten teams they predict to get in. Lunardi has 9 Big Ten teams. Providence would be the 3rd best team in that league. It should be a six bid league at best. The SEC certainly doesn't deserve 8 nor does the Big 12. He has the ACC and Big East with 5. None of it makes any sense.
who do you think deserves to get more teams in out of curiosity? I find myself annoyed at the amount of teams from the ACC and big 10 that they are letting in but i certainly dont want more pac12 teams in the tournament. When looking at teams on the outside looking in that i think are dangerous, i cant really come up with anything besides texas tech

Reaction Score
If the committee is placing a major emphasis on road wins against tournament teams we won't stack up well at all.
whether a win is home or away is already used to determine what quadrant it falls into, so how can the committee use that factor twice? a quad 1 win is a quad 1 win, once that is established it shouldnt matter if it was home or away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom