BR: Newton 3rd in NPOY race

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Robert Redford Nod GIF

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
But he's 9th in the BE Honorable Mention category.

After all, his play couldn't have been predicted by the coaches. All he did was dominate the national championship game.

He was definitely slighted. But I wasn't expecting him to increase his FG% by 10%. He's also significantly improved his A/TO ratio. You like to think a 5th year senior is going to show improvement and play like a man among boys, but it doesn't always happen.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Tristen Newton
2023-24 Stats: 31.4 MPG, 17.0 PPG, 7.2 RPG, 6.1 APG, 1.5 SPG, 35% 3PT
As great as Tyler Kolek is and has been, the Big East point guard most likely to stop Zach Edey from repeating as NPOY is the one from the reigning national champ who is putting up even more impressive numbers than Kolek. Tristen Newton has been sensational thus far, particularly late in the shot clock earlier this month at Kansas. Connecticut ended up falling just short in that game, but he scored 31 of its 65 points, repeatedly delivering gut punches to the Jayhawks with his dagger threes. He had a triple-double against Manhattan (15 points, 13 assists, 10 rebounds) and came somewhat close to doing the same against both Indiana (23 points, 11 rebounds, six assists) and New Hampshire (17 points, 10 rebounds, seven assists). This after he had a pair of triple-doubles last season.

Through 10 games, Newton was averaging at least 17 points, seven rebounds and six assists per game. Were he to finish the year at or above each of those thresholds, he would join 2022-23 Jalen Pickett and 2015-16 Denzel Valentine as the only players to average 17-7-6 for a season in the past three decades. And while it technically shouldn't factor into his 2023-24 NPOY odds, we all remember Newton's impressive performance in last year's national championship. At the end of the day, NPOY is a popularity contest, and that memory of yesteryear won't hurt his chances, especially if Connecticut remains a serious threat to repeat as champion.
:D

Reaction Score
He was definitely slighted. But I wasn't expecting him to increase his FG% by 10%. He's also significantly improved his A/TO ratio. You like to think a 5th year senior is going to show improvement and play like a man among boys, but it doesn't always happen.
The fact that there are other players who can create their own shot on the perimeter has helped him immensely. For all we had last year, that’s something we could really lack at times.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The fact that there are other players who can create their own shot on the perimeter has helped him immensely. For all we had last year, that’s something we could really lack at times.

Agree.

And he and Cam are a fantastic duo. Our best teams have always had 2 lead ballhandlers on the floor together (e.g., Doron & KO; KEA & Ricky; Taliek & Ben; Kemba & Shabazz; Shabazz & Boat; and even last year Andre was basically a point forward along with Tristen). And it's even better when both of those guys can shoot.

Overall, our offense just looks very crisp. I'm sure as we head into Big East play we're going to see some ugly games and opposing coaches will probably crack the code a bit, but as we saw last year this staff knows how to make adjustment of its own.

Reaction Score
But he's 9th in the BE Honorable Mention category.

After all, his play couldn't have been predicted by the coaches. All he did was dominate the national championship game.
Ya think!

Reaction Score
might as well just give it to Edy now. newton should win BEPOY hands down tho.

Reaction Score
Great write-up on Newt.

And very generous to say Donovan's putting up "big numbers."
As preseason narratives begin to get overshadowed by actual results, Newton's stock is rising, as it should. But I wonder to what degree national writers will pick up on Clingan being low-key underwhelming relative to expectations.

Reaction Score
"They're just so balanced and deep," Bilas told CT Insider. "They seem to have an answer to every position. And when (freshman guard Stephon) Castle gets healthy, they'll have every answer. Their offense is so well-conceived. Every cut is to the ball, or to the basket, so it's really hard to guard. They play together and seem to really thrive off one another. They share it. And (Tristen) Newton, the more I watch him, the better I think he is. He's a pro."

Alternate access:

ESPN analyst Jay Bilas big proponent of UConn men's basketball team: 'Beautiful to watch'

Reaction Score
As preseason narratives begin to get overshadowed by actual results, Newton's stock is rising, as it should. But I wonder to what degree national writers will pick up on Clingan being low-key underwhelming relative to expectations.
I think they recognize Clingan is playing hurt.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"They're just so balanced and deep," Bilas told CT Insider. "They seem to have an answer to every position. And when (freshman guard Stephon) Castle gets healthy, they'll have every answer. Their offense is so well-conceived. Every cut is to the ball, or to the basket, so it's really hard to guard. They play together and seem to really thrive off one another. They share it. And (Tristen) Newton, the more I watch him, the better I think he is. He's a pro."

Alternate access:

ESPN analyst Jay Bilas big proponent of UConn men's basketball team: 'Beautiful to watch'

"Danny's great. He runs just a fabulous practice, and he's very balanced with high expectation and accountability," he said. "But he wants those guys to ball out. He's not coaching every dribble. He lets them play. But, they have certain expectations that they have to meet, which is what the best coaches do. And he's one of the best coaches."

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
The national respect Hurley is getting is fabulous. The whole Flagg stuff seems silly and trivial now. This ship is sailing!
I'd love to know how all of the Marquette hacks who were surrounding us at the BET and ragging about what an awful coach he is are taking these developments.

Reaction Score
At least the national college basketball media people are finally realizing how good Newton has been.

The Huskies lost three of their top six scorers from last season's team that won the national championship but still look like real contenders to repeat —thanks in part to the emergence of Tristen Newton, who should now be considered the leader to win Big East Player of the Year honors. The 6-foot-5 guard is averaging a team-high 17.0 points, 7.2 rebounds, 6.1 assists and 1.5 steals in 31.5 minutes per game. He's the main reason UConn is 9-1 with the lone loss coming by only four points at Kansas.

I wonder when the last time was when the BE POY was not on any of the preaseason teams, not even honorable mention. I'm sure it's happened before.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
At least the national college basketball media people are finally realizing how good Newton has been.

The Huskies lost three of their top six scorers from last season's team that won the national championship but still look like real contenders to repeat —thanks in part to the emergence of Tristen Newton, who should now be considered the leader to win Big East Player of the Year honors. The 6-foot-5 guard is averaging a team-high 17.0 points, 7.2 rebounds, 6.1 assists and 1.5 steals in 31.5 minutes per game. He's the main reason UConn is 9-1 with the lone loss coming by only four points at Kansas.

I wonder when the last time was when the BE POY was not on any of the preaseason teams, not even honorable mention. I'm sure it's happened before.

17, 7, and 6 is insane

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A
Newton is really not a huge surprise to anyone who watched him last year. Had that potential and fun to watch.

As for Clingan, I don’t know exactly what was expected of him. He’s not been operating on two good feet. His FT % sucks. But his overall contribution on a very well-balanced team is, I think, fine and i’m sure most teams aren’t thrilled to see him on D defending the hoop. There are clearly some things he could add to his O that would make him more of a scoring threat and i know one huge game against an overmatched opponent distorts his scoring ave. some. What were the reasonable expectations for him?

Reaction Score
Top guard in country. Is a chill dude from Texas.Don't think he doesn't have a closer vibe.. One of the best this year at that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psttc

Top Bottom