Bourbon & Rye | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Bourbon & Rye

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You’ve got to try new stuff, meaning best value goes out the window some times
For me @AreBee1969 We Beastie is still cheaper at $55 and I like it. But Scotch runs this game all the time hoping some NAS offering will become popular compared to the base age stated offering. It mostly fails.

On the bourbon side, I do try them and it's hit and miss. Some are very good, some are trash. But that's where you get the more adventurous stuff. I recently bought two bottles of RD One bourbon.
RD1 Spirits One is finished in Oak and Maple barrels. The other is finished in Amburana wood from South America. The Amburana one is really distinctive, kind of like what Mizunara Oak does to Japanese Whiskey. Both are Kentucky and 4+ years so the cask finishing isn't wasted on wet cardboard crap.

Reaction Score
You’ve got to try new stuff, meaning best value goes out the window some times

For me @AreBee1969 We Beastie is still cheaper at $55 and I like it. But Scotch runs this game all the time hoping some NAS offering will become popular compared to the base age stated offering. It mostly fails.

On the bourbon side, I do try them and it's hit and miss. Some are very good, some are trash. But that's where you get the more adventurous stuff. I recently bought two bottles of RD One bourbon.
RD1 Spirits One is finished in Oak and Maple barrels. The other is finished in Amburana wood from South America. The Amburana one is really distinctive, kind of like what Mizunara Oak does to Japanese Whiskey. Both are Kentucky and 4+ years so the cask finishing isn't wasted on wet cardboard crap.
I hear you both. With my three favorite vices; booze, beer and cigars, experimentation can get stupid expensive, and these are unprecedented times where our choices in all three arenas seem infinite. A lot of frogs to kiss.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It’s nice, but low proof and very mild.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig NH Barrel pick at 131 proof today.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig NH Barrel pick at 131 proof today.
NH Liquor store picks are so solid and always sold at normal price. It’s the only state that actually sends people to pick the barrels.

Reaction Score
I picked up a bottle of Penelope Barrel Strength (112 proof) and it was delicious. Four of us tried it and all were extremely impressed. It was my first experience with any of their whiskeys and I'm looking to try more.

Reaction Score
Our store just got in Barrell New Year 2024 and its quite tasty. Its a nice fall pour, not too hot, lost of spice throughout. Still a silly price in most markets but if its your jam I would grab it. Its not as good as 2023 but its still a really good bottle.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Was out in the field this afternoon. Returned to the office to this gift. Had to call the Town attorney to see I could accept...
1000007284.jpg

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I was real interested in this when it dropped and was completely let down. Hopefully its more to your palate.
Never had a Basil Hayden that wasn’t boring. Including that one. It’s fine if your priority is “smooth”. My friends liked it.

Reaction Score
Never had a Basil Hayden that wasn’t boring. Including that one. It’s fine if your priority is “smooth”. My friends liked it.
I was real interested in this when it dropped and was completely let down. Hopefully its more to your palate.
I enjoyed the Basil Hayden Toast as did my extended family at a summer picnic this year. I worked at a liquor store for a year or so and different people seemed to like it as well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I enjoyed the Basil Hayden Toast as did my extended family at a summer picnic this year. I worked at a liquor store for a year or so and different people seemed to like it as well.
Yep, my friends who like “smooth” whiskey did too. If you tend to like single barrel barrel proof stuff that is more flavorful, it’s just kind of bland. A bit more vanilla than normal BH.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I picked up the latest Booker and was pleasantly surprised at how much I like this version of “Mighty Fine Batch”. Been sipping it at 126.6 proof though.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yep, my friends who like “smooth” whiskey did too. If you tend to like single barrel barrel proof stuff that is more flavorful, it’s just kind of bland. A bit more vanilla than normal BH.

Went to a friend's house yesterday and they had a bottle of this. I was asked about it and I said I thought I had tried it once and it was totally unremarkable.

Had five of us try it yesterday and no one thought it brought anything to the table different than regular Basil Hayden.

My opinion last night is there are better sipping bourbon and cheaper bourbons for mixed drinks. I wouldn't spend a penny more than regular basil Hayden and wouldn't spend any time searching for toast.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Went to a friend's house yesterday and they had a bottle of this. I was asked about it and I said I thought I had tried it once and it was totally unremarkable.

Had five of us try it yesterday and no one thought it brought anything to the table different than regular Basil Hayden.

My opinion last night is there are better sipping bourbon and cheaper bourbons for mixed drinks. I wouldn't spend a penny more than regular basil Hayden and wouldn't spend any time searching for toast.
The gifted was a packy owner. Must not be selling.
Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The gifted was a packy owner. Must not be selling.
Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

The family whose house we visited, the wife's brother in law works in distribution amd gifted her it. So there's tat data point.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I was at Trader Joes and the guy next to me was buying the $15 bottle of TJ's Straight Kentucky Bourbon. Said it was good, it is aged 4 years. So, what the hell, I bought one. It's a perfectly ok mixer, better than some other bottom shelf bourbon (or regular Jack Daniels). Not good exactly, but not bad either.

I'm not poor enough to buy another, but no regrets.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was at Trader Joes and the guy next to me was buying the $15 bottle of TJ's Straight Kentucky Bourbon. Said it was good, it is aged 4 years. So, what the hell, I bought one. It's a perfectly ok mixer, better than some other bottom shelf bourbon (or regular Jack Daniels). Not good exactly, but not bad either.

I'm not poor enough to buy another, but no regrets.

I try to explain this to Mrs Diesel.
There is a difference between a good sipping bourbon and bourbon good enough for cocktails. And your liquor shelf should have some of each.
Plenty of name brand boubonsin the $30-$40 range which make a perfectly fine mixed drink. I would think TJ's private label bourbon fits in to the category.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I try to explain this to Mrs Diesel.
There is a difference between a good sipping bourbon and bourbon good enough for cocktails. And your liquor shelf should have some of each.
Plenty of name brand boubonsin the $30-$40 range which make a perfectly fine mixed drink. I would think TJ's private label bourbon fits in to the category.
Oh this stuff is worse than the big name stuff in the $30-40 category. Regular 9 year Knob Creek, Four Roses Single Barrel or Small batch are better than this. Wild Turkey 101 is better than this. This is an alternative to yellow label 4 Roses or some others in that low $20 range. That's why I won't buy it again. I can afford to spend $35 even on cheap stuff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom